Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th March 2008, 00:04   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhap View Post
That's the point. I need clarity on what the actual rule is? On saying that the car is borrowed from a friend , they said that under law you can't borrow a car from anyone other than your immediate family.
If the car has been borrowed from a friend , then the friend has to be in the car otherwise you can't drive it.
Is that the rule?Does anyone know?
I have a question regarding this (its a reframing possibly)

I drive my GF's car quite often, since its better than mine, we basically share it, unless she needs it more than me, its registered to her dad, and I am found driving it in and around the city quite often, in such a case, what is the implication if someone catches me and doesn't listen to "borrowed" as a reason... ? I've always felt it might happen someday, and I wont know what i need to know...
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 20:58   #92

Question Documents to be carried in Original

What are the original documents which I need to carry in Originals(not copies) in the vehicle?

Specifically Insurance Papers, PUC etc.

Rgds,
SK
dsskumaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 11:51   #93
BHPian

PUC and ur Licence...
Old 31st March 2008, 14:33   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskumaran View Post
What are the original documents which I need to carry in Originals(not copies) in the vehicle?

Specifically Insurance Papers, PUC etc.

Rgds,
SK
It depends on where you are since though the MV Act has nationwide applicability, the rules under the Act are framed by respective state govts. and vary from state to state. Try searching for the web site of Bangalore traffic police or the Karnataka transport deptt. and you might just find the rules there.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:45   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
I have a question regarding this (its a reframing possibly)

I drive my GF's car quite often, since its better than mine, we basically share it, unless she needs it more than me, its registered to her dad, and I am found driving it in and around the city quite often, in such a case, what is the implication if someone catches me and doesn't listen to "borrowed" as a reason... ? I've always felt it might happen someday, and I wont know what i need to know...

Unless you're caught with a major traffic offense (one that involves you being dragged to the cop station) I dont see any other reason why the ownership of the car should be a question. Even if such a thing happens, just say that you've leased it or that you're the driver (!) Either way, its not uncommon to find cars driven by people who dont own them!

You might wanna tell your girlfriends dad that you're driving his car around. Just in case
arjyamaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:25   #96
BHPian

Yeah.. i think i'd do that....

anyway, this is just temporary, expecting my new car in a few days...
he knows very well who's been driving his car around town.... no problem there..
Old 9th April 2008, 10:45   #97
BHPian

Here is another link -
Laws - Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 11:03   #98
BHPian

I too have seen new vehicles with older numbers. I guess the vehicle has to be scrapped, a certificate should be produced, the old original documents shuould be submitted. But I am not sure, it is only a guess work
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 16:32   #99
BHPian

Default Interstate travel on a Temporary registeration

Friends, Could somebody be kind enough to point out the implications of traveling, by road, interstate on a self driven car which is on Temporary registration.

To make the above query even clearer, in Andhra Pradesh one could run a new car for a period of 30 days and more (on paying a meager penalty) on a temporary registration number. The permanent registration is done on a particular day if a particular number is chosen (in a series) for the new vehicle and a proper legal fee is paid for the same.

I have opted for the above but the whole process is going to take me more than a fortnight for the RC book to reach my hand and by the time the vacations for the children will be more or less over.

Is it alright for me to drive interstate, basically the states I propose to visit are Karnataka, Maharashtra, Kerala and Tamilnadu?

Last edited by suren181 : 9th April 2008 at 16:33.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 16:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Friends, Could somebody be kind enough to point out the implications of traveling, by road, interstate on a self driven car which is on Temporary registration.

[...]

Is it alright for me to drive interstate, basically the states I propose to visit are Karnataka, Maharashtra, Kerala and Tamilnadu?
See, there are plenty of issues with driving around on temp plates. One is that they're issued by rotation. That is, the same temp registration can be used on different cars (not at the same time of course).

Second, since temps are not state specific, it is possible (although unlikely) that you'ld have two cars within the same state with the same temp plates (one from AP- yours and one from say MH)

Third, temp plates always attract more attention and you will be asked as to why you havent got your registration done yet. Am told that MH traffic cops are rather strict about this (could be wrong).

But, I'd say go for it. After all, you're not doing anything wrong.
arjyamaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 17:37   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Now: cop #2 says, "everything is fine, but your car isn't passed" I showed him the passing dates on the papers
What does "passing" mean here? Does it mean getting clearance for driving a out of mumbai car in mumbai?
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 17:42   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What does "passing" mean here? Does it mean getting clearance for driving a out of mumbai car in mumbai?
Passing here means inspected. Older cars need to be inspected and approved by the RTO. This process is called Passing (slang)
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 15:41   #103
BHPian

Default Traffic Rules & Guidelines

I searched the site for some good traffic guidelines and couldn't find a dedicated topic on that.
Anyway here are some copy pasted (as usual!) information of some TRAFFIC RULES & GUIDELINES from team-bhp forum and some other web sites. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

The driver, and the person seated in the front seat or the persons occupying front facing rear seats must wear seat Belts. It has been estimated that seatbelt reduce the risk of death for a front seat car occupant by about 50%.

If a driver is in the path of an approaching a Fire Service Vehicles & Ambulance that is displaying a flashing blue or red light or sounding an alarm, the driver must move out of the path (As per the Rules of the Road Regulations 1989) of the vehicle as soon as the driver can do so safely. No rules for Police and VIP vehicles.

Give indicator while entering or leaving a roundabout. Check safe overtaking distance and give indicator while overtaking. Do not overtake where NO OVERTAKING sign is displayed.

Slow down or stop if necessary and yield the right-of-way to traffic in the round-about. Slow down or stop if necessary and yield the right-of-way to traffic in the intersection.

Slow moving vehicles should not stand in front of fast moving vehicles. Allow smaller vehicles to go through the intersection before you turn left.

Stop your vehicle before the white line. Do not stop it over the "zebra" crossing.

Increase your speed in the acceleration lane, give indicator and merge with the traffic. Signal, move into the slowing lane and then reduce speed.

Use dipper and change to low beam when vehicle comes from the opposite direction.

Always give proper signal before changing lanes and ensure the move can be made safely.

Steps for changing lanes:
  1. Check for a space in traffic where you can enter safely.
  2. Check your blind spot by looking over your shoulder in the direction of the lane change. Give an indicator in the direction you want to move.
  3. Recheck to ensure the way is clear and that no one is coming at a fast speed from behind.
  4. Turn steadily into the new lane.
Points to consider while overtaking a vehicle:
  1. Use your right-turn indicator to show that you want to overtake. Check the way ahead and behind is clear before overtaking.
  2. Watch out for scooters or motor cycles that may be hidden from view in front of the vehicle you are about to overtake. Watch for vehicles that may be turning right in front of you.
  3. After overtaking, give indicator that you want to get back into the lane you started from. Change lane when you can see all the front of the vehicle you are passing in your rear view mirror. Never cut off a vehicle by suddenly moving in front of it.
  4. Do not race if the vehicle you are passing speeds up. Get back into your original lane.
Overtaking at night:

1.Switch your headlights to low beams as you approach a vehicle from behind.

2.Switch your high beams on and off quickly to warn the driver ahead that you are going to overtake.

3.Check your mirrors and blind spot, and pull out to overtake. As you move besides the vehicle you are overtaking, switch on your high beams so that you can see more of the road ahead. of the vehicle you are about to overtake. Watch for vehicles that may be turning right in front of you.

4.When you can see all of the front of the vehicle you are overtaking in your rear view mirror, pull back into the left lane. Give indicator so the other driver knows you are getting back into the lane.

Parallel Parking: Parking vehicles in a line, front to rear, next to the left side of the road.

Angular Parking: Parking the vehicle at an angle to the curb of the road.

Perpendicular Parking: Parking at right angle of the road curb.

Straddling a Line: When driving on a road marked with Lane Lines, you must keep your vehicle entirely within a lane.

Broken Lane Line: When lanes are marked by broken lines the driver may change lanes when it is safe to do so by indicating the intention through proper signal.

Single Continuous Line: You must keep to the left of these lines. You must not cross these lines to overtake or make a U-Turn but may cross them to enter or leave the road or to go past an obstruction.

Solid and Dotted Line: Traffic having continuous line on its side cannot cross or straddle the line.

Solid Lane Line: The lanes near intersections are often marked by Solid Lane Lines where no lane changing is permissible.

You are permitted to cross single or double continuous lines in order to avoid an obstruction - This does not include a slower moving vehicle or a vehicle stopped in a line of traffic, but may include a fallen tree, a crashed vehicle, or a car that has broken down or is illegally parked. Before crossing the line, you must have a clear view of the road ahead and it must be safe. You must also be very sure that you cross safely because the onus is on you to take the risk of danger into account.

The lanes near intersections are often marked by Solid Lane Lines where no lane changing is permissible. The traffic driving along such lanes bound by solid lines has to move along the same direction or the direction indicated by road marking arrows thus a No-Lane changing zone is created near intersection to prevent last minute change of direction by the traffic, that may obstruct the smooth flow of traffic & cause accidents.

Yellow Edge Lines: You must not stop or park your vehicle in any area where a continuous yellow edge line is applied even to pick up or set down passengers or goods.

Three-point Turn: Make a three-point turn to change directions on a narrow road. A three-point turn starts from the extreme left side of the road. Signal for a right turn. When the way is clear in both directions, move forward, turning the steering wheel sharply right towards the curb on the far side of the road. When you have reached the right side of the road, stop, and put the vehicle into reverse. Signal a left turn. After checking that the way is still clear, turn the steering wheel sharply to the left, while backing up slowly to the other side of the road. Stop. Shift to forward gear and check traffic. When the way is clear, drive forward
Narrow Bridge: Slow down the vehicle while crossing a narrow bridge.

CONTROLLED INTERSECTION (STOP OR GIVE WAY SIGN): The driver must stop at the stop line. If there is no stop line, the driver must stop before entering the intersection and must give way to a vehicle in the intersection.

ROUNDabout: If you are about to enter the round-about, give way to traffic on your right. The rule applies to those cars also that have to turn left after entering the round-about.

GIVE WAY SIGN: The driver must Give Way to vehicle on the right. The driver is not required to give way if: (a) an oncoming vehicle turning right at the intersection and the stop sign/ line, give way sign/line applies to the driver of the oncoming vehicle
(b) a vehicle using a slip lane at the intersection to make a left turn.
(c) a vehicle making a U-turn.

UNCONTROLLED INTERSECTION (NO SIGN/SIGNAL): A driver at an intersection (except a T-intersection or roundabout) without traffic lights or a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line, must give way in accordance with this rule.

If the driver is going straight ahead, the driver must give way to any vehicle approaching from the right, unless a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line applies to the driver of the approaching vehicle.
If the driver is turning left, the driver must give way to any vehicle approaching from the right, unless a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line applies to the driver of the approaching vehicle any pedestrian at or near the intersection on the road the driver is entering.
If two vehicles are facing green lights the driver who has to turn right should give way to the vehicle approaching from the opposite direction and going straight.

T CROSSING: A driver at a T-intersection without traffic lights or a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line, must give way in accordance with this rule.
If the driver is turning left (except if the driver is using a slip lane) or right from the terminating road into the continuing road, the driver must give way to:
(a) any vehicle traveling on the continuing road
(b) any pedestrian on the continuing road at or near the intersection.
If the driver is turning right from the continuing road into the terminating road, the driver must give way to:
(a) any oncoming vehicle that is travelling through the intersection on the continuing road or turning left at the intersection; and
(b) any pedestrian on the terminating road at or near the intersection.
If the driver is turning left from the terminating road into the continuing road using a slip lane, the driver must give way to:
(a) any vehicle travelling on the continuing road
(b) any pedestrian on the slip lane.
If the driver is turning from the continuing road into the terminating road using a slip lane, the driver must give way to:
(a) any vehicle approaching from the right; and
(b) any pedestrian on the slip lane.

RIGHT OF WAY TO PEDESTRIAN:
If the driver is not going straight but turning left, right or making a U–turn, he must give way to any pedestrian at or near the intersection on the road the driver is entering.
A driver approaching a pedestrian crossing must drive at a speed at which the driver can, if necessary, stop safely before the crossing.
A driver must give way to any pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing.
A driver approaching a pedestrian crossing must not overtake or pass a vehicle that is traveling in the same direction.
Driver turning right from a road into a road-related area giving way to an oncoming vehicle that is going straight ahead and to a pedestrian on the footpath.

NARROW BRIDGE/ROAD: Giving way at a give way sign at a bridge or length of narrow road - A driver approaching a bridge or length of narrow road with a give way sign must give way to any oncoming vehicle that is on the bridge or length of road when the driver reaches the sign.

Others:

You can turn left on a red light if there is no signal for the left direction. Come to a complete stop, give way and then turn left.

You can U-Turn in an intersection, even if No Right-Turn is allowed. Before making a U-turn, make sure there is no sign saying not to.

There is no Speed limit for a Light Motor Vehicle other than a Transport Vehicle (as fixed by the Central Government in exercise of powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 112 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988), unless a Speed Limit board is in display. The maximum speed limit for a Motor Cycle is 50Kmph.

As per the provisions of sub-rule (2) of Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 the glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle has to be such and be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows have to be such and be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%.

Do not take reverse in curves.

No driver of a motor-vehicle shall use or answer the cell phone while driving the vehicle.

The driver of a motor vehicle shall not park his vehicle on the wrong side of the road or opposite another parked vehicle or where parking is prohibited or near a road crossing or bend or on a footpath or away from the edge of the footpath or blocking entrance to premises.

The letters & figures in the Registration Mark (Number) displayed to the front & to the rear of the Motor Car Number Plate should be in English and the figures in Arabic Numerals and the height of letters and numerals should be 2.5 inches.

Turn on headlights around 30 minutes before sunset and keep them on until 30 minutes after sunrise. Turn on your lights when fog or rain reduces your visibility to less than 100 meters.

If you are traveling on a highway and using highbeam headlights, switch to lowbeams within 150 metres of an oncoming vehicle. Switch to your lowbeams when you are less than 60 metres behind another vehicle.

Whenever you follow another vehicle, you need enough space to stop safely if the other vehicle brakes suddenly. A safe following distance is at least two seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. This is calculated as 22m at 40kmph, 42m @ 60kmph and 88m @ 90kmph.

Let pedestrians safely cross roads at zebra crossings where there are no traffic lights. Drivers, including cyclists, must stop and let all pedestrians cross. Pedestrians have the right of way.
Following the Supreme Court order in 1989, the Motor Vehicles Act was amended in 1994, to make it mandatory on both the driver/owner of the vehicle to take the accident victim to the nearest doctor, and the doctor to treat the victim without waiting for any formalities. The provisions of Section 134, Motor Vehicles Act 1988 read as follows-
Duty of driver in case of accident and injury to a person - When any person is injured or any property of a third party is damaged, as a result of an accident in which a motor vehicle is involved the driver of the vehicle or other person in charge of the vehicles –
  1. Unless it is not practicable to do so on account of mob fury or any other reason beyond his control, take all reasonable steps to secure medical attention for the injured person (by conveying him to the nearest medical practitioner or hospital, and [COLOR=blue]it is shall be the duty of every registered medical practitioner or the doctor on the duty in the hospital immediately to attend the injured person and render medical aid or treatment without waiting for any procedural formalities). All hospitals and doctors are required to provide immediate medical aid to all the cases, whether medico–legal or not.
  2. Give on demand by a police officer any information required by him, or , if no police officer is present, report the circumstance of the occurrence, including the circumstances, if any, for not taking reasonable steps to secure medical attention as required under clause (a) at the nearest police station as soon as possible, and in any case within twenty-four hours of the occurrence;
  3. Give the following information in writing to the insurer, who has issued the certificates of insurance, about the occurrence of the accident, namely :-
    1. Insurance policy number and period of its validity;
    2. Date, time and place of accident;
    3. Particulars of the persons injured or killed in the accident;
    4. Name of the driver and the particulars of his driving license.
Is failure to comply with this action punishable?

Yes under Section 187 of MV Act, 1988 whoever fails to comply with the provisions of the clauses of Section 134, shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extent to 6 months.

It’s compulsory for the driver of a motor vehicle to keep the “Tool kit” prescribed by the manufacturer and also the Medical [b]“First aid box”. For transport vehicles, a fire extinguisher is mandatory.

It’s compulsory for the driver to keep spare headlamps for all motor vehicles except motor cycles.

If the traffic signal has changed from GREEN to AMBER (Yellow) at a Signal, the Car that has crossed the Stop Line must drive forward cautiously through the crossing in the direction indicated by the signal. The driver of Car that has not crossed the Stop Line must brake and stop the car before the Stop Line.

It is mandatory for the driver of a motor vehicle to carry a valid driving license (original) and a copy of the Vehicle Registration Certificate, Road Tax Token, Pollution under Control Certificate and Current Insurance Certificate. However he does not need to procure the 'Pollution under Control Certificate' till one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered.

Source: chandigarhtrafficpolice.org, team-bhp.com, ibmmainframes.com

Please DONOT use various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 16th June 2008 at 16:00. Reason: [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 20:46   #104
BHPian

Thumbs up Chennai Cops and Helmets !

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish View Post
CNU good one. Do you have any info on the section for using cellphone while driving... I once committed this mistake myself (I am not going to defend myself for what I did).. to my surprise, I was chased by the cops in a two wheeler (all traffic cops are supposed to wear helmets when they ride (in chennai/TN atleast as far as I know).. the ones who stopped me didn't have one.. i could have pointed that to them... but that doesn't mask my mistake anyway..)... they told me that the fine is around Rs.1100.. Is this correct.. This is just to know what it is... not that I am going to repeat the mistake if its cheap..

I saw a police officer in the ECR driving without his helmet, picked up my mobile to take a video and he caught me claiming i was using a mobile. I told him to come with me to the Neelakarai police station (the nearest station) where i would pay my fine and he would pay his for not wearing his helmet. He used his brains for a minute and said lets go , few seconds later he turned into a side road n escaped.

I ve got few videos on Chennai Cops driving without helmets. Will post them
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:53   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
I ve got few videos on Chennai Cops driving without helmets. Will post them
I have a pic of a lady police officer on a bike without helmet talking on phone. Its just plain stupid.

and they think they make the law, during the routine (its anything but routine, just to make money from poor IT ppl who are mostly from outside the state)

grr.. hate the corrupted cops here, but then again its like that everywhere i guess.

Once the police guy who caught me during "routine" checking was so drunk I could't stand the smell of booze while he was doing he blah blah
and he finally took my purse by force and took 200/- out of it. (that's all i had)

lot more bad exp are there, but what is the point. I put in a complaint against the "drunk" cop but as expected nothing happened.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote