Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd April 2010, 09:43   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
official:
  • RIP Vista TDI from BS4 cities
  • RIP CS TDI from BS4 cities
  • BS4 tata cars: Vista safire, QJD, Indigo CS e series petrol and e series CR4 dicor, manza, grande MK2, safari 2.2 dicor, xenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Thanks Sid, any idea about the ARAI figures for the new e-series twins ?
Why no one is worried about indica v2 series? When MSIL can tune alto's engine for BS-IV, why TATA can not do it?
(Alok) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Why no one is worried about indica v2 series? When MSIL can tune alto's engine for BS-IV, why TATA can not do it?
Do you mean the naturally aspirated engine ? For god's sake why would you want a BS-4 version of this engine ?

If you meant the TDI, I think BS-III is the max it can go, since it is an IDI. Tata's already made a big leap in bringing these engines to BS-III with ECU, electronic controlled fuel pump , EGR etc.

I think the next few years the sales from BS-III cities will be the major contributors to the sales.
indivic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
If you meant the TDI, I think BS-III is the max it can go, since it is an IDI. Tata's already made a big leap in bringing these engines to BS-III with ECU, electronic controlled fuel pump , EGR etc.
TDI BS-IV exists. The IDI pump has been made by TVS-Delphi.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
TDI BS-IV exists. The IDI pump has been made by TVS-Delphi.
That's news for me, I guess Tata are still contemplating on what to do with the 1.4 Dicor - to take a plunge or not.
I wish they had worked more with the Dicor than the TDI- any news about that ?
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:33   #50
BHPian

Wasnt the CS already available with the Dicor engine as an option? I remember it being offered to me when I had gone to book my Vista as long back as October 2008.
I dount if they will ever offer the QJD engine in the CS, except Tata's also decide to go the Maruti way when it comes to pricing.
The Dicor may not be as refined as the QJD but surely has enough power to put the QJD powered car behind in a drag race.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The Dicor may not be as refined as the QJD but surely has enough power to put the QJD powered car behind in a drag race.
I was thinking about how exactly would it be able to do it.
It is low on power and torque both.
At least the way it comes in Indica and Indigo (detuned, i mean).
Does anyone know about the torque curve of this motor?
pb10gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
I was thinking about how exactly would it be able to do it.
It is low on power and torque both.
At least the way it comes in Indica and Indigo (detuned, i mean).
Does anyone know about the torque curve of this motor?
DiCOR 1.4 comes with a VGT and the cars that come/came equipped with it (CS, Indica V2) were lighter than MJD/QJD equipped cars. May be that's why. Of course, the driver skill and intent would be material factors too.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:57   #53
BHPian

We had drag raced an Indica Dicor with the Vista just when it was launched & boy were surprised with the result ourselves. The dicor powered car was definitely faster than the QJD equipped Vista.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
We had drag raced an Indica Dicor with the Vista just when it was launched & boy were surprised with the result ourselves. The dicor powered car was definitely faster than the QJD equipped Vista.
I think there would be roughly a 100kg difference between the QJD Vista and the Indica Dicor, plus the Dicor is supposed to have very low turbo lag and shorter gearing

I was more interested if Tata have done some engineering improvements to the Dicor (apart from getting certification for BS-IV norms).
Old 25th April 2010, 22:16   #55
BHPian

Just checked the site. It shows the eGLS and eGLX petrol models, but nothing about the CR4 models. Can anyone confirm that it has indeed been launched? Or is it being held back?

I did note that the brochure seems to have been updated with the new model CS, with the Indigo front bumper/lights. Old CS used to have Indica lights and bumper. It mentions the TDi, Petrol and DiCOR models. I know for a fact that the DiCOR was stopped at the start of the year, the dealer informed me.

I hope that the eLS and ELX will be launched soon. Looks like such good value.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 08:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

1. will the indigo XL and Marina be phased out?
2. Why is the 100bhp tune used in indigo XL not used for Indigo CS as the sport version?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 09:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
1. will the indigo XL and Marina be phased out?
2. Why is the 100bhp tune used in indigo XL not used for Indigo CS as the sport version?
1. Marina has already been phased out, and the XL is only available now for govt. supply according to the dealer. Another source at the dealership told me that it might be available if you were willing to book and wait.

2. I agree that Tata should put in into the CS and offer it as a sport version. Indigo already has great handling, with its all independent suspension, and begs for a faster motor. This could be their performance showcase car, even if it won't sell much.

It's an excellent move for Tata to make the CS more upmarket in features. I'm going to the showroom today, and I'll try to get some info on the e-series pricing and availability.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

I visited the Tata showroom near my house yesterday & saw the new Indigo CS in flesh. I did not enquire about the prices as was not interest in the small car, but the SUV/MUV. However, I would definitely recommend the car to anyone who has the budget in the range Rs. 4-5 lacs.

Following are my observations:
A. Exteriors:
A.1. Overall exteriors remain the same, simple yet attractive.
A.2. Only differentiating factor is the head lights that have the orange indicator portion instead of silver in the earlier version.
A.3. The tyres are 175 mm which appear okay for the overall dimensions of the car. But, one can easily go 14" rims (alloys preferably) instead of 13" steels ones, as the wheel well is big enough to accommodate the bigger wheel size. I believe many others in the forum have observed & commented upon the same earlier as well.
A.4. The body of the car was reasonably heavy, but the doors did not close with a "thud". Could be a concern for many, but not for me with extended family & relatives managing with Hyundais, Marutis & Tatas & a Ford & Honda each. (Though few are also being driven in Ambys, they are not personal, hence no comments).
A.5. The boot is reasonably big for a small family. Bigger than Figo, 380 ltrs to be precise.

B. Interiors
B.1. The interiors were good to very good for me. With the only sore point being the dash design that was more than a decade old, with the brownish-beige shade (acceptable to me).
B.2. The centre panel had (fake) wood finish which appears good & gels well with the colour of the dash.
B.3. Overall interiors remain the comparable to those in Santro Xing & Wagon R. But, must say that the ride (comfort) of Tatas is leagues ahead of VFM offerings.
B.4. The biggest surprise for me were the sporty break, accelerator & clutch, which were metal finish with rubber inserts for better shoe grip. Sort of sporty, though the car may not be actually that sporty.

Did not take a ride as none in my family (except my brother) shares my passion; & we prefer to keep our sojourns (short & secret) from our wives & parents.

PS : Saw my bro's fav Safari & my preferred Grande MK2, as well as the Manza & Vista (Anniv edition). The Vista's Anniv edition interiors were beautiful in my opinion & I ended up enquiring whether similar work can be done for our family SUV/MUV or even Manza (answer was on the negative side as they avoided any concrete comments).
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 23:43   #59
BHPian

I went to the local dealer today (Kulathunkal) and the sales people there, like the sales people at most car showrooms, were less informed than us. They didn't know anything about e-series, no, they hadn't seen the brochure, and the common rail diesel was stopped as far as they knew. Then, one of them poked the other and suggested that I might be talking about the BS4 version which was due to arrive at the end of the month. Hope that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I visited the Tata showroom near my house yesterday & saw the new Indigo CS in flesh. I did not enquire about the prices as was not interest in the small car, but the SUV/MUV. However, I would definitely recommend the car to anyone who has the budget in the range Rs. 4-5 lacs.
Excellent. So the car should be at most South dealers by the end of the month. Hope there's some kind of intro offer. There's bound to be some, with the launch of the new WagonR and Maruti dealers offering big discounts on almost every model.

Quote:
A.3. The tyres are 175 mm which appear okay for the overall dimensions of the car. But, one can easily go 14" rims (alloys preferably) instead of 13" steels ones, as the wheel well is big enough to accommodate the bigger wheel size. I believe many others in the forum have observed & commented upon the same earlier as well.
The CS comes with 14" wheels already. The tyre size hasn't changed at all, still 175/65R14.

Quote:
B.1. The interiors were good to very good for me. With the only sore point being the dash design that was more than a decade old, with the brownish-beige shade (acceptable to me).
B.2. The centre panel had (fake) wood finish which appears good & gels well with the colour of the dash.
B.3. Overall interiors remain the comparable to those in Santro Xing & Wagon R. But, must say that the ride (comfort) of Tatas is leagues ahead of VFM offerings.
B.4. The biggest surprise for me were the sporty break, accelerator & clutch, which were metal finish with rubber inserts for better shoe grip. Sort of sporty, though the car may not be actually that sporty.
Interesting info, but I think I'll reserve judgement on the plastic quality until I have a chance to feel it myself.

Did you happen to notice if it was the LS or the LX version you were looking at? Do all versions have the drilled pedals, fake-wood trim and darker dash? Just try and remember if the car had a defogger on the rear windscreen, or power mirrors.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

Hi VivekGK

Please note my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I went to the local dealer today (Kulathunkal) and the sales people there, like the sales people at most car showrooms, were less informed than us. They didn't know anything about e-series, no, they hadn't seen the brochure, and the common rail diesel was stopped as far as they knew. Then, one of them poked the other and suggested that I might be talking about the BS4 version which was due to arrive at the end of the month. Hope that's true.

Yes I checked the BS4 diesel. Delhi is amongst the few cities that have upgraded to latest norms.

Excellent. So the car should be at most South dealers by the end of the month. Hope there's some kind of intro offer. There's bound to be some, with the launch of the new WagonR and Maruti dealers offering big discounts on almost every model.

Well ... I do not expect them giving discounts/ schemes on the new car for some time at least. Probably you are expecting these too early.

The CS comes with 14" wheels already. The tyre size hasn't changed at all, still 175/65R14.

Thank you for correcting me as I did not read the tyre specs nor did I care for the brochure. But, if I recommend this car to anyone I would recommend upgrading to bigger size rims (probably 175/60R15, as I felt that the tyre width was okay unless one wants wider tyres).

Interesting info, but I think I'll reserve judgement on the plastic quality until I have a chance to feel it myself.

The plastic is essentially the same in gauge & feel as in the previous model, but what I pointed out was my opinion about the brownish beige dash. But there were few good changes like the pedals & the wood finish in the centre console that I liked.

Did you happen to notice if it was the LS or the LX version you were looking at? Do all versions have the drilled pedals, fake-wood trim and darker dash? Just try and remember if the car had a defogger on the rear windscreen, or power mirrors.

It must be the top-end... had power windows.
But overall I was not interested in the (small) car, hence did not bother myself or the salesman more. do not mind but take time out to visit the showroom as the company sites do not provide much information & are not updated on time. Probably that would help you find answers your queries.
I understand that your queries might have not been satisfactorily replied, but, that all I can tell you from sitting in the car for almost 5 seconds & spending around 1 minute with the car.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 27th April 2010 at 12:23. Reason: Formatting
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote