Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd April 2010, 09:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Still i wonder why people are preferring alto over this beauty.

As per me, alto having 'Maruti' before it which means good A.S.S. + have Word-of-Mouth marketing + Resale Value.
deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Only thing got going got spark is the 3 year service package, other than that i feel Astar is much better car to drive, i have driven spark couple of time and feels way too boring. i feel Astar engine and steering response are much better than spark.

PS: Astar is better on those thing, when only compared with spark

Last edited by Rahulkool : 22nd April 2010 at 10:20.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Cute looks, the true small car (chevy), and awesome warranty schemes. Congrats to GM on having a winner on its hand.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:33   #19
BHPian

It's good to see that cute little sprak has reached this mark soon when you consider the market conditions where this segment is crowded now.
The credit goes to 3 years maintenance free package, quality and pricing which boosted the sales .
Sudan_NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Still i wonder why people are preferring alto over this beauty.
You are very right. I wonder, too. May be because majority of Indians like to play it safe. A ugly car from a proven carmaker goes down well with most than a thing of beauty from a little known brand.

Also has there been no Daewoo goof-up, Spark would have been right there alongside that horrendously ugly and ill-proportioned car called i10.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 17:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Great going for GM!

"Cash less Ownership Offer" by GM is really great. I have been owning Spark for the last 20 months. I have not spent a single rupee for service. Had to just fill Petrol and run. Particularly good when we have to pay EMI during the initial period of ownership.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 17:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You are very right. I wonder, too. May be because majority of Indians like to play it safe. A ugly car from a proven carmaker goes down well with most than a thing of beauty from a little known brand.

Also has there been no Daewoo goof-up, Spark would have been right there alongside that horrendously ugly and ill-proportioned car called i10.
If Matiz launched in India had a 1000cc engine like it's counterpart worldwide, Hyundai would have had a tough time with Santro. Also Daewoo - as a company would have been much better. One can still digest i10 but not a Santro for it's looks.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 17:52   #23
BHPian

Great news! This should have happened long back. Nevertheless GM did a tremendous job in instilling confidence after the daewoo fiasco. The success can be attributed to 2 major factors :
- Everyone knew that the Matiz was indeed a no-complaint car. Even after Daewoo sunk, people used to think of Matiz as an unfortunate victim which deserved much better. GM definitely was riding on this positive wave.
- "Cashless ownership" ads with Mr.Slym personal assurances.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 17:59   #24
BHPian

When Spark was introduced in our market, it was not selling much. The 'Cashless Ownership' campaign and discounted prices did the trick. I have always liked the car. It has enough space inside for a car of that size. The engine revs better than a Santro. So it is more fun to drive IMHO.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 5th May 2010 at 18:00.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 18:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
- "Cashless ownership" ads with Mr.Slym personal assurances.
+1 to that, I think they are selling 3K+ per months even after the launch of BEAT.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:38   #26
BHPian

I am one of the well wisher of Spark from day one of its launch, mainly because I was a Matiz user and experienced all the pros and cons of the platform on which this little car is built.

Even-though the introductory price was on the higher side, GM successfully repositioned the car as a Value for Money hatch, bundled with 3 years zero maintenance ownership. This opened the door to the heart of lots of people who were willing to take a risk by buying a GM car.

Recently, as GM sales picked up, Spark's price is gradually started moving away from the the value for money domain to an entry level premium hatch. Even though in advertisements they show that they are competing with Alto, the reality is that a Spark LT (full featured) is costlier than the base version of a Beat or a Figo.

Today every one is praising GM based on their year on year sales, but the actual figures shows that Spark sales is gradually falling down after January 2010. Because of fairly impressive Beat figures (which also shows a down ward trend) no body is noticing the fact that the sand under the feet is gradually getting drained.

Another surprising fact is that lots of year 2007 spark are available for sale in the second hand market (at least in Chennai). This indicates that even-though its an excellent car without much problems, many people don't want to own a Spark after the end of cashless ownership period becuase of potentially high maintenance cost and low resale value, unlike most of the Maruti or Hyundai cars in this segment.

Tail Piece : When Spark was launched in 2007, their official website had an indicative price-list of all the major spare parts, which need to be replaced. But today, when many of the cars which was sold in April 2007 got expired the zero maintenance period, the list got disappeared.
sunil8089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 12:01   #27
BHPian

I am a very happy Spark owner for about 9 months. Its a wonderful car no doubt, but 3000 odd cars a month for a cheap car like Spark does not really speak too well about its success considering Hyundai and Maruti sell than 5 times this number in this segment. Heck even the Figo is doing more than double this number and this is from Ford that have the 'expensive to maintain' tag attached to their cars. Fine, so its a best seller for GM but no I don't think its a real success in India. I bought it purely for the 3 year cashless service offer and nothing else.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Back in my days of owning the M800, I used to take pride for owning a small car that still offered a good seating space and AC. Then I saw a Matiz up close at our office premises, with space that was more generous than the M800 and the AC which had FOUR blowers! After ogling at the beauty, I lost my pride on the M800 as a well-built small car.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 20:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm sure many of you looking into this thread own Spark. How will you rate the ownership cost of Spark w.r.t say WagonR? I'm considering one for my sis, that's the reason for asking. Thanks in advance.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 20:52   #30
BHPian

In my opinion, Spark scores against WagonR by its sheer VFM tag.

The spark is already BS4 and the WagonR is getting a new upgrade to BS4. Once the new WagonR gets in, it will certainly affect the resale value of the Old one.

So at this point i feel Spark will be a safer bet.

I OWN ONE which i bought primarily for my wife who struggled with my old Palio. This one exceeds my expectation from a small car.
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote