Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th October 2005, 09:48   #1
BHPian

Red face The emotional way of buying a car…

Whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not, buying ‘which’ car is more an emotional decision than a logical decision. Money doesn’t really matter. Meaning the more expensive a car doesn’t necessarily mean that you will love it more. Whether your budget is 2L or 5L or 10L there is a car very well within your budget that you will fall in love with. So my advice is don’t pay more than your budget and get a car that you will love. But how?

Simply go to a place where many many cars are parked. In Mumbai, examples are: Outside Race course, or outside an exhibition area in Bandra Kurla Complex or Big Bazaar, etc. Stroll through the car park and check out how your feelings change when you look at each car and think ‘what if this were my car’? Take notes and see which cars make you more emotional. Take your decision. Logic can take a back seat if it wishes. Don’t care about the specs. If the car is more expensive then buy a sufficiently older version. And enjoy!

M
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 09:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting method. But I believe that that true emotions come out when you actually drive the car. The truer emotions come out after you have driven the car for a really long time.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 11:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

emotion turns to logic when you take your wallet out and see your hard earned cash flow out. Hurt a bit when shelling out for the Vtec but eased off in the long run.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 12:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
This is an interesting method. But I believe that that true emotions come out when you actually drive the car. The truer emotions come out after you have driven the car for a really long time.
Enjoying while driving your car is like a blissful marriage. Choosing the right car is like falling in love with the right girl
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 12:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. But you do go out with the 'right' girl before she becomes right.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 16:56   #6
BHPian

Thumbs up

nice way to think,
but it's a truly comparable scenario as most of us tend to take the car as an investment and something that should enthuse us when we are in it or in the vicinity.. and like ajmat said, emotions do turn to logic when you take out your wallet.
so if you haven't decided on which car, that's a pretty nice way to realise it
ak
AvinashKeezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 19:08   #7
BHPian

Id agree with Avinash. I am planning to buy the Accent GLS even though emotionally I'd go for an Ikon 1.6 any day. Accent is about 1 L more expensive as well.

But I'd rather deal with forking out 1 L more (it will hurt badly) and live in peace than deal with the hassle of high maintenance, limited ASS, the risk of the engine or the model itself being phased out etc.

Not sure these decisions are made emotionally.
zabcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 19:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Enjoying while driving your car is like a blissful marriage. Choosing the right car is like falling in love with the right girl
and marrying her?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 22:13   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative

Two times, I wondered "whoops have I done the right thing?"

1st - Was walking out of the church after....rings and things

2nd - Writing out the cheques for a black VTEC not knowing that my wife was about to present me the bill for the bathroom renovation escalated by ....a lot

hmmm...are the two interconnected? BTW in many cases,the right girl becomes the wrong girl and vice versa, for me, the right girl has been the main constant
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 23:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabcd
live in peace than deal with the hassle of high maintenance, limited ASS, the risk of the engine or the model itself being phased out etc.
Not having a go at u zabcd ! i just quoted ur statement about high maintainence , A.S.S - because i think all this talk about a particular brand being more heavy to maintain is bullsheeet. (example FORD)

I own a ford ikon 1.6 for the last 3 years - and trust me when i say that except regular servicing and a bearing replaced on the rear wheel the car runs like a dream - quite a few of BHPians will vouch for that !

In my mind - if you take care of ur car as per schedule nothing ever will go wrong ! and about A.S.S - i have had a very pleasant experience here in Bbay.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 23:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Choosing the right car is like falling in love with the right girl
Quote:
Quote:
and marrying her?
Quote:
BTW in many cases,the right girl becomes the wrong girl and vice versa, for me, the right girl has been the main constant
We are still talking about cars, right?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2005, 00:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey minardi
thats the first time i heard some one suggest this method but when i sit back and think about it i feel you maybe right.but after you decide on a car you dont just buy it.then you test drive it see how it feels to drive see how the A.S.S is.price and availibility of spares, reputation of company etc.after considering all these things you can go in for it.just seeing which car makes you feel good shouldnt BE THE ONLY CRITERIA BUT IT COULD BE ONE OF THE MAIN ONES to start with.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2005, 01:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Selling the car is like getting a divorce, crashing a car is like killing your wife, buying a new car is like remarriage
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2005, 09:14   #14
BHPian

Default Just plain luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
We are still talking about cars, right?
Getting married or buying a car, they are all the same. Unlike marraige you can keep buying cars ( and also selling).

No matter how careful and knowledgeable you are, its just plain luck.

In the past whenever its possible, I have requested the dealer for a long test drive of about 150 Kms. on various types of tracks and road conditions that I have used frequently. Good flat highways, busy potholed highways, off road tracks, hill climbing etc. It helps if it rains in between as this can help you feel the road traction even more. ( If it rains Gods are on your side).

Not many dealers like the idea, but when they see that you are serious about their cars they do co-operate. On several occassions I have offered to even pay them the test drive charges on Km basis,or at times offered to fill the fuel for such test drives. In fact I feel that all manufacturers should insist that their dealers offer such facilities on nominal payment.

Guys you will be shocked how soon your oppinion changes about the car when the road and weather conditions change. What feels lime like a limo on start of your journey turns out to be bone creeking experience in no time.

If you liked the car, buy it, if not you won't repent when your friends tell you what a beauty she has been. Each guy expects a different feel from his car and this may not match yours.
soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2005, 17:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Guys ,

however you buy your car (marry your girl, since we are equating the both ) )- The Neighbour's possession will be still more attractive
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote