Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 13:03   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Thanks Suhaas for this excellently articulated perspective.
I think many of us are guilty of making this comparison in our minds if not on paper. I am certainly one of them.

Thing is, can this "new segment" vehicle command such a premium price given the bang for the buck that one gets or not?

That remains to be seen and I guess the sales numbers will tell.

But the fact remains whatever it is, that one needs to be able to and want to plonk that 17+ lacs down for what is essentially an urban crawler with some off road adventure ability. That fact in itself is an automatic filtration system for many of us chaps!


Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
People MUST stop comparing the Skoda Yeti to the Toyota Fortuner/Ford Endeavour/Tata Safari ! As a matter of fact, you can't compare this to even a Honda CR-V! The Skoda Yeti is a niche vehicle. It's in an entirely different segment! Don't relate the size of the car/engine to the price.

The Yeti is merely a Laura/Octavia on stilts. And the Laura costs 17 lakhs, thereabouts. So what's wrong with the 17 lakhs tag?

It's meant for the urban crawler who occasionally drives it outside city limits and on some long trips. If the Yeti comes with all the features that the Laura is offered with, it will do very well IMO. People who are interested in the CR-V might be tempted to check this out. Because: It available with a diesel engine, it's as capable as a CR-V, it's fresh and new, and it's 17 lakhs! I'm sure the 2 litre diesel engine produces enough torque to out-run the CR-V as well.

17 lakhs may be on the higher side, but if Skoda gets the marketing and PR bit right, they've got a winner on their hands.

I hope Skoda cleans up its act in India. If they do, we would definitely consider replacing our Civic with this tasty looking thing!

EDIT: P.S. Don't look at it as an SUV. Think of it as a Laura that you can take through the rough roads of a State without worrying about getting your under-carriage screwed. As simple as that. Now when you look at it in this way, it suddenly seems like it's worth it, right?
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 13:14   #332
SCH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Noida
Posts: 156
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
They have already started the deliveries, One of my friends bought it without knowing the price atleast he has taken the delivery,
How have the deliveries started without the price being announced??? I suppose they have to mention the price on the Invoice. I am not sure if any show room would release the vehicle without total payment being made.

Last edited by SCH : 9th November 2010 at 13:16.
SCH is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 13:24   #333
BHPian
 
ranc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lost somewhere on the Leh Manali hway
Posts: 516
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
How have the deliveries started without the price being announced??? I suppose they have to mention the price on the Invoice. I am not sure if any show room would release the vehicle without total payment being made.
It has not been invoiced yet, if you know the dealer, you can always take the delivery without paying the whole amount, the only problem I see is that of Insurance. I am sure that the vehicle will continue to run on temporary reg. no. and transit insurance till then.
ranc is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 13:37   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default

IMO the small size & the big money for the vehicle will always play in the minds of the prospective buyers. But, it has better chances of scoring over the Aria, because of the brand & people's perception towards Skoda as a premium brand.

Still it would not be able to match Fortuner's numbers in any case.
CARDEEP is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 13:38   #335
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,612
Thanked: 8,609 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But the fact remains whatever it is, that one needs to be able to and want to plonk that 17+ lacs down for what is essentially an urban crawler with some off road adventure ability. That fact in itself is an automatic filtration system for many of us chaps!
I guess if that same vehicle with specs and price was released by Toyota, the crowds would have lapped it up. Many questions would not have been asked.
ampere is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 13:54   #336
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

I am not sure I agree with your statement. Personally even if it were a Toyota I would have hesitated a bit given the size, specs vis a vis the price.
I love the Yeti but I cannot help but still think of this as an over priced vehicle.
For that matter, I would also consider that the Fortuner is a tad expensive given its international pricing of around 23-24000 USD.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess if that same vehicle with specs and price was released by Toyota, the crowds would have lapped it up. Many questions would not have been asked.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 14:00   #337
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,612
Thanked: 8,609 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am not sure I agree with your statement. Personally even if it were a Toyota I would have hesitated a bit given the size, specs vis a vis the price.
I love the Yeti but I cannot help but still think of this as an over priced vehicle.
For that matter, I would also consider that the Fortuner is a tad expensive given its international pricing of around 23-24000 USD.
Oh No I never intended that Shankar. What I meant was that in spite of the higher price, many folks would have gone ahead and queued up for the Yeti. Skoda only brings it down a bit.

Now having said, you are perfectly right in terms of pricing. As Suhaas pointed, in terms of styling and usage it fits to many (including me) like a T!
But its just for the price, folks like you and me cannot choose to buy it just like that. But if it were a Toyota, we would have still at thought about it (given it a micron of a chance!).
ampere is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 18:28   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default

Some more yeti images.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1324.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1325.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1326.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1327.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1328.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1329.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1330.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1331.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-photo1332.jpg  

sidindica is offline  
Old 9th November 2010, 18:57   #339
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thanks Suhaas for this excellently articulated perspective.
I think many of us are guilty of making this comparison in our minds if not on paper. I am certainly one of them.

Thing is, can this "new segment" vehicle command such a premium price given the bang for the buck that one gets or not?

That remains to be seen and I guess the sales numbers will tell.

But the fact remains whatever it is, that one needs to be able to and want to plonk that 17+ lacs down for what is essentially an urban crawler with some off road adventure ability. That fact in itself is an automatic filtration system for many of us chaps!
You're welcome, Shankar!

Our general idea is that Skoda is offering a car that isn't that big, but giving it a big-car's price tag. Which is true to an extent, somewhat. But at the end of the day, it's not solely about the size of the vehicle. The Honda CR-V sold like hot-cakes even though the Safari was a good 10 lakhs lesser in comparison. Similarly, the Yeti is in a different segment altogether.

Now one will never know if the Yeti, carrying a price-tag of 17 lakhs (let's assume), would do well or not. It's just the way the audience receives the product. One thing's for sure, It's not going to bomb badly, like the way the Skoda Octavia Combi did. Estates are still not established here. But cross-overs are! And going by our records, most cross-overs have done pretty well in India, save for the Mitsubishi Outlander (which is picking up now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess if that same vehicle with specs and price was released by Toyota, the crowds would have lapped it up. Many questions would not have been asked.
You've got a valid point there. For example, if Toyota introduces a similarly spec'ed car, the Toyota RAV4, for example, and prices it at 17 lakhs, our general audience would have taken to it rather well. Especially since the Fortuner is a good 7 lakhs more.

Hmmm.. Toyota, are you listening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Some more yeti images.
From the looks of it, the Yeti seems promising. The Ground-clearance may not be substantial enough for even light off-roading, but it should handle rough-roads without any issue. The interior seems to be of good quality, and that's expected. I do not like the wood-trim though. And from the looks of it, it isn't particularly spacious, but just enough I guess. Any snap-shots of the rear seats?

What do you think, Sid?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th November 2010 at 18:59.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 10th November 2010, 14:15   #340
BHPian
 
lijodavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: trichur
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

@sidindica Some doubts about yeti.Does it come with cruise control? Photos posted is of top model? Does it come with xenon's? Can you put some more photos?
lijodavis is offline  
Old 10th November 2010, 14:31   #341
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,612
Thanked: 8,609 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

You've got a valid point there. For example, if Toyota introduces a similarly spec'ed car, the Toyota RAV4, for example, and prices it at 17 lakhs, our general audience would have taken to it rather well. Especially since the Fortuner is a good 7 lakhs more.

Hmmm.. Toyota, are you listening?
I was really hoping that they will get the RAV4. Meanhile there are also rumours/expectations of the RVR with similar Yeti like specs.
(late 2011/early 2012).
ampere is offline  
Old 10th November 2010, 21:43   #342
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
the delivery hasn't started yet.

drove the car yesterday, and hoping to get a proper test drive on sunday.
the car's barely taller than the fabia. though feature packed.
things missing from the demo vehicle which had come sometime back - sunroof, bluetooth connectivity & projector headlamps.

uploading the pics
Looks so smaller, Just one size up from Fabia. Looks like a little bigger Wagon R. The size is not worth the money. I would say less than 12L is the right price as its a Skoda.
agbenny is offline  
Old 11th November 2010, 10:10   #343
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Delhi - Chennai
Posts: 65
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

came across this in the morning.
Giving it due credence as it comes from the ET bureau.

the skoda yeti india website is still not up :( (skodayeti.co.in as read from the pics by sidindica)

peace,
~kg
kapilvgupta is offline  
Old 11th November 2010, 10:12   #344
SCH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Noida
Posts: 156
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

As per Economic Times : follow the link : Skoda's SUV Yeti to hit Indian roads for Rs 17 lakh - The Economic Times

the price is expected to be around 17 lakhs.
SCH is offline  
Old 11th November 2010, 10:17   #345
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Looks so smaller, Just one size up from Fabia. Looks like a little bigger Wagon R. The size is not worth the money. I would say less than 12L is the right price as its a Skoda.
Please read thru the pages. The size of the car is comparable to a Laura, with raised GC and features like 4WD etc.

How could you ever compare it with a Wagon R ? Just by the 'shape' ??

And on what basis do you arrive at a price of 12L ? Any guidelines ?
jigbarai is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Itís an SUV, it's a Sedan...No it's a Crossover! The Renault DUSTER: Ownership Review h.s.r Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 86 17th September 2016 11:38
My Skoda Yeti: just the right amount of SUV ! GloryManUnited Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 74 6th December 2013 22:08
Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs shankar.balan The Indian Car Scene 151 19th February 2013 17:46
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks