Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 10:40   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chandigarh ó PB
Posts: 208
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
ashwin_seattle, I thought the rear of the new 5 is the most aggressive part? And calling the 7 big and boring? Big, Yes! Boring? Absolutely not, it's one of the finest examples of luxury cars with the driver in mind,

I'm so shocked with the negativity on the F10, or maybe it just will grow on some in due time.

Lamborghini, I find the W212 more spacious. And the Audi A6 will be Q1 2011, but like the A8 we already know what it will look like right? Just a little larger A4
You seem to be too overwhelmed by the new 5 series and it's accompanying new technologies! It sure is overwhelmingly ++++ on all angles and interior. Except those curls down mustaches in front.

And you're right, I find the rear of new 5 more aggressive and exciting! The only thing I find done best in exterior.

I don't care if the car looks like 7 series and don't understand how that factor is a boon. (In ref to all 7 series looks posts). If I wanted a car like 7 series, I would buy a 7 itself. Can 5 not have it's own image?

Yeah it'll take time to get rid of the grudges against BMW for phasing out E60 5 series design. It may not have been perfect for many, but it could have been made in the new one keeping both parties happy!

BMW, in my opinion, has "disappointed" prospective E60 buyers instead of losing to E Class, since still it's a better driver's car or whatever. :S

Miss you, Chris Bangle.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 4th May 2010 at 10:42.
Gurpartap Singh is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 12:53   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,096 Times
Default

When two innovative brands come together they surely do create magic ! Check this out: RIM converts BMW's iDrive into 'a remote control for your BlackBerry' (video) -- Engadget
Sahil is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 13:26   #78
BHPian
 
AirbusA340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 136
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

You are entitled to your opinioun my friend.

The point is the car is great for some and not so for others but yet it will sell in good numbers as it is a very good package in the whole.
I cannot agree more but the whole point at a passionate forum like this one, IMHO, is not about sales but the 'oomph' factor with cars which excites us right from the i20 to the '7' and so on. Specific threads can exist with respect to the sales which is also a main factor for any car manufacturer without which he would not make any cars in the first place.

How would you be loving a BMW or a Merc based on how much sales it would do after launch? I do not see any reason why somebody would comment negatively for e.g on the '6' just because it could not sell in large numbers like BMW would have actually wanted. It could be a very very premium car but BMW India would still sell 500 of them if the demand was there. If I owned BMW India and was a member of Team-BHP, then probably would have a plastered smile seeing members expectations on my newly launched F10 sales.

IMHO, I would be least bothered of BMW or Mercedes whether they are happy with their models or not, but I would only be happy with a specific model if it excites me and creates that everlasting happiness every time I see it.

Nevertheless, like you mentioned..everyone has their point of view and everyone are sounding justified through their individual posts. But at the end, I can clearly see that BHPians are car lovers

Last edited by AirbusA340 : 4th May 2010 at 13:35.
AirbusA340 is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 19:38   #79
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,606 Times
Default

Here's the funny part :

When the E60 came out, everyone said "aargh, its too swoopy / modern / awkward -- what ever happened to the smooth timelessness of the E39?!"

Now with the F10 (cool designation btw), people are saying "Its so boring and dated looking compared to the E60".

How ironic


The way i see it - pretend that the E60 never happened, and look at this here below -- seems like the definite successor of the E39 right?

Name:  e39 vs f10.jpg
Views: 9492
Size:  124.6 KB

It has that similar understated elegance. Though the looks might take some time to grow on us... (And god, please give us these alloys!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
....
Which car is more spacious? The F10 or the W212?...
W212.

From our quick initial impression :
- Rear legroom seemed more on the W212
- Seat design and shape made the W212 more "open" whereas the F10 cocooned you more
- At the front the F10 has a very high center console, almost like an thick long armrest that divides the front of the cabin
- Awkward window switch at the back of th F10
- A slightly more of a rounded/curved greenhouse on the F10 (?)
- Strangely, the F10 has a 3+" longer wheelbase, and a 2" longer overall length!

Anyway, that aside, i can't wait to drive the F10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
When two innovative brands come together they surely do create magic !
Now that you bring it up -- i'd imagine a Blackberry would be more of a BMW owner's phone than an iPhone.

iPhone was chosen for the brochures etc, wonder if the BB could have instead be used as a USP here. Apple fans could always have their "ipod integration".

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2010 at 19:50.
Rehaan is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 19:48   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: wynad . kerala
Posts: 445
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Is it just me or does anyone else also feel that the tails lamps,or rather the rear itself resembles the W212 a lot?
Baleno7811 is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 20:37   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chandigarh ó PB
Posts: 208
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusA340 View Post
I cannot agree more but the whole point at a passionate forum like this one, IMHO, is not about sales but the 'oomph' factor with cars which excites us right from the i20 to the '7' and so on. Specific threads can exist with respect to the sales which is also a main factor for any car manufacturer without which he would not make any cars in the first place.

How would you be loving a BMW or a Merc based on how much sales it would do after launch? I do not see any reason why somebody would comment negatively for e.g on the '6' just because it could not sell in large numbers like BMW would have actually wanted. It could be a very very premium car but BMW India would still sell 500 of them if the demand was there. If I owned BMW India and was a member of Team-BHP, then probably would have a plastered smile seeing members expectations on my newly launched F10 sales.

IMHO, I would be least bothered of BMW or Mercedes whether they are happy with their models or not, but I would only be happy with a specific model if it excites me and creates that everlasting happiness every time I see it.

Nevertheless, like you mentioned..everyone has their point of view and everyone are sounding justified through their individual posts. But at the end, I can clearly see that BHPians are car lovers
Just to add to what you said, I'm quoting this from jalopnik's Jaguar SK review:

Along those lines, consider the words of legendary GM executive Semon "Bunkie" Knudsen: "You can sell a young man's car to an old man," he once said, "but you cannot sell an old man's car to a young man."
Gurpartap Singh is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 21:07   #82
BHPian
 
AirbusA340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 136
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

The way i see it - pretend that the E60 never happened, and look at this here below -- seems like the definite successor of the E39 right?
We can only pretend

I wish we had one of those memory neuralyzers from MIB.

Either way, the E60 fact is..it came, it shook, it turned things over.

The E39 may look like it gave its genes to the F10 for its understated elegance but the E39 had its own unique sporty image at its time. Just MHO!

Last edited by AirbusA340 : 4th May 2010 at 21:17.
AirbusA340 is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 21:47   #83
BHPian
 
ishotmydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 594
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

i saw the F10 in flesh today, and i prefer how the E60 looked. hmph!
ishotmydog is offline  
Old 4th May 2010, 22:45   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's the funny part :

When the E60 came out, everyone said "aargh, its too swoopy / modern / awkward -- what ever happened to the smooth timelessness of the E39?!"

Now with the F10 (cool designation btw), people are saying "Its so boring and dated looking compared to the E60".

How ironic


The way i see it - pretend that the E60 never happened, and look at this here below -- seems like the definite successor of the E39 right?
You hit the nail bang on. This is what i did too pretend the E60 never happend and there i was looking at the successor of the E39. The same suttle lines with the right amount of aggression. For this who dont like her now would eventually grow into her soon i hope.

No they have the crappy wheels on the 525d/523i and the same multi spoke wheels like my 325i but in 18" on the 535i and 530d. I am sure you can order these wheels through the dealer when you book your car at an additional cost offcourse.

Last edited by speedy : 4th May 2010 at 22:48.
speedy is offline  
Old 5th May 2010, 00:52   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default

Thanks for your replies guys.
Here is one more question. Which is more spacious and comfortable in terms of rear seat space? The F10 or the E60?
I know this is not the right question to ask on this thread as BMWs are drivers cars, but at the same time, with the E60, my parents find it more spacious and comfortable than the W211, though I find the W211 more comfortable.
lamborghini is offline  
Old 5th May 2010, 01:20   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,096 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Thanks for your replies guys.
Here is one more question. Which is more spacious and comfortable in terms of rear seat space? The F10 or the E60?
I know this is not the right question to ask on this thread as BMWs are drivers cars, but at the same time, with the E60, my parents find it more spacious and comfortable than the W211, though I find the W211 more comfortable.
I found the E60 slightly more spacious at back particularly the legroom. Although the F10's rear seats keep you seated in a more comfortable position/angle.

Suspension comfort it's too early to say but I think the F10 suspension would be softer, besides I did notice that the tyre profile has been increased to 55 on the 525d whereas the E60 has a 50 profile setup. The extra tyre height would marginally add to the comfort.

If you're question is to switch the E60 for the F10 just for more comfortable rear, I'd say not worth it.
Sahil is offline  
Old 5th May 2010, 13:28   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
Dippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

I saw the F10 at the Sunday event. To be honest I wasnt blown away with the looks when the car was unveiled. Yes it is classy but doesnt have that aggressiveness that the E60 came with. At first glance it looked like a mating between the 3 Series and the new 7. I dont deny that over time, this design might grow on me, but for now I'm disappointed.The interiors are impressive . I found the driving position pretty nice considering my short stature. Rear seat could be more comfortable. The E felt definitely better.Only a TD will tell more about the ride quality.



Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
You hit the nail bang on. This is what i did too pretend the E60 never happend and there i was looking at the successor of the E39. The same suttle lines with the right amount of aggression. For this who dont like her now would eventually grow into her soon i hope.

No they have the crappy wheels on the 525d/523i and the same multi spoke wheels like my 325i but in 18" on the 535i and 530d. I am sure you can order these wheels through the dealer when you book your car at an additional cost offcourse.
I didnt like the choice of wheels offered on the F10. Surely they can do better. Even on the outgoing E60, I only liked the design which came on the High Line model. IMO the multispokes have looked best on the 7 Series


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's the funny part :

When the E60 came out, everyone said "aargh, its too swoopy / modern / awkward -- what ever happened to the smooth timelessness of the E39?!"

Now with the F10 (cool designation btw), people are saying "Its so boring and dated looking compared to the E60".

How ironic


The way i see it - pretend that the E60 never happened, and look at this here below -- seems like the definite successor of the E39 right?

Nice comparo Rehaan. Good observation there. I tried imagining that the E60 never came but then when I see this, the imagination goes for a toss

*New* BMW 5 Series (F10) Launched!-m5.jpg

I am very keen to see how the M version of the F10 would look like. The E39 M5 looked like a real sleeper.
Dippy is online now  
Old 5th May 2010, 14:34   #88
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit/Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I believe they are using ZF's rack drive EPS. THe ones seen on Marutis are the TRW column drive units.
Maruti uses Sona-Koyo for their cars like Alto & Wagon-R & yes they are column drive
bdubya is offline  
Old 5th May 2010, 20:33   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default

@Sahil - It is not the E60, but the W211 that owners would want to replace around this point. But suppose an owner is not happy with the reliability of the W211, and does not want another merc till they prove themselves with the W212. What would be a good option then?
lamborghini is offline  
Old 5th May 2010, 21:00   #90
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubya View Post
Maruti uses Sona-Koyo for their cars like Alto & Wagon-R & yes they are column drive
They also used Showa units when it first debued on the Zen. TRW is GM-Delta-1 ...my bad.
Mpower is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 BMW 5 Series F10 facelift launched! Introducing 518d sarathlal The International Automotive Scene 6 20th May 2013 13:12
BMW 5-Series (F10) in Pune (Pictures) Raja The Indian Car Scene 30 3rd May 2010 17:13
BMW 5 Series (F10) India launch in April / May S350L-E240 The Indian Car Scene 38 1st May 2010 12:09
Spied for first time-2011 BMW 6 series coupe and alpina F10 B5 sidindica The International Automotive Scene 6 7th April 2010 22:11
Racing Dynamics Preparing 2011 BMW 5-Series (F10) Tuning Program funkydevil The International Automotive Scene 3 2nd January 2010 22:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks