Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 14:05   #271
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Does anybody know whether Altis Diesel will be availble in autox box also?
punkuz is offline  
Old 18th July 2010, 17:02   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default

Toyota Corolla Altis in 1.4D should be a good Proposition for the segent and if its priced in the 12-15 Lks bracket, it should have a winner. Not too sure on the features of the Manza but they would not simply be able to hold a candle to Toyota's products. Engine Size alone would not be the deal breaker, various other factors do matter.
Toyota have an international track record that is proven and suffering probably for the first time with their recalls. Tata is still un tested and unproven.
ku69rd is offline  
Old 18th July 2010, 18:33   #273
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,578
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

already tested by some prominent magazines.. i am sure this can be the civic killer if priced right..
fx45 is offline  
Old 18th July 2010, 18:58   #274
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,583
Thanked: 8,553 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
already tested by some prominent magazines.. i am sure this can be the civic killer if priced right..
Can you point to some? I have not seen any of them? Or are they waiting for THE MOMENT?
ampere is offline  
Old 18th July 2010, 21:09   #275
Newbie
 
adalanthae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hi Ampere - Check this out.

Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel Full Informations Unveiled | Burn Your Fuel

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel is a 1.4-liter, 88.4 bhp diesel power train. Its called the D4D (direct 4 stroke diesel). Toyota Corolla Altis road tests have confirmed it will give a mileage of 21kmpl and for the first time in India a car has been introduced with a 7 (6+1) speed manual transmission gear box.
adalanthae is offline  
Old 18th July 2010, 21:14   #276
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Corolla Diesel - next week Wednesday June 21 is the launch in Delhi.

sorry must've been too dazed after work, as others pointed out JULY 21 is what I meant. Taj Mansingh is where the launch is, I believe.

Last edited by StarScream : 18th July 2010 at 21:16.
StarScream is offline  
Old 19th July 2010, 13:40   #277
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,583
Thanked: 8,553 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
sorry must've been too dazed after work, as others pointed out JULY 21 is what I meant. Taj Mansingh is where the launch is, I believe.
Anyone from TBHP attending? Mods? Sid?
ampere is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 08:28   #278
PCS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 204
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

1 Day to go !!

Can we make a guess work on Pricing ???

My Idea is 11.5 - 14.5
PCS is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 12:26   #279
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalanthae View Post
for the first time in India a car has been introduced with a 7 (6+1) speed manual transmission gear box.
Not true. The cheaper i20 already has it.
blue_pulsar is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 14:12   #280
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default

Called Nandi Toyota and confirmed the launch tomorrow. They were not aware of the exact prices but have said they will have someone call me and inform in 30 minutes.

This seems exciting.


Got a call from Nandi Toyota. The expected variants DJ, DG and GL. The pricing is between 13-16.5 lacs OTR Bangalore.

Last edited by n.devdath : 20th July 2010 at 14:15.
n.devdath is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 14:50   #281
BHPian
 
JJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 83
Thanked: Once
Default

Interesting. A car that is surely going to cost 15-16L on road, sporting a 1.4L, 85Bhp engine. A car that is costing almost double the price of Swift DZire/Fiesta/Manza/Linea, sporting an even lesser engine & is aiming to be a "Civic & Laura killer"? This I'd bet, will become the Biggest Joke of Automotive market. I don't think if any one who spends 16L for a car would be so naive to buy an 85bhp engine (even for the mileage it claims). The very same segment have Diesel mills running 150bhp (almost 2x the Corolla D) in competition. Toyota, good luck selling this car.
JJames is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 15:03   #282
BHPian
 
JJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 83
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkuz View Post
Does anybody know whether Altis Diesel will be availble in autox box also?
Well, Toyota is not a master on Auto gear boxes yet, even compared to its Japanese competition, Honda. The best that Toyota could show up till date on a Corolla is a 4-speed box in its Petrol model. Comparatively, Honda Civic is a joy to drive, with its 5speed box, with paddle-shifts (for AT enthusiasts). Even the much cheaper Honda City/VW Vento has 5 speed with paddles shift & 6 speed DSG boxes).
JJames is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 16:49   #283
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,973
Thanked: 2,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Well, Toyota is not a master on Auto gear boxes yet, even compared to its Japanese competition, Honda. The best that Toyota could show up till date on a Corolla is a 4-speed box in its Petrol model. .
Very true. The world have moved and even Toyota and Ford are offering 6 speeds in their economy range and Toyota is happy flogging their 4-Speed Auto that has been around for such a long time. Even in the USA, most Toyota models with 4 Cylinder engines came with the 4-Speed. You had to step up to the V6 engine if you wanted a 5-speed Auto. I could never understand why Toyota is so stingy with the extra cog. Even the Fortuner with such a powerful engine is still offered with a silly 4-Speed.
4x4addict is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 16:52   #284
BHPian
 
fuhrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 98
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Twice the price and half the power i dont think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Interesting. A car that is surely going to cost 15-16L on road, sporting a 1.4L, 85Bhp engine. A car that is costing almost double the price of Swift DZire/Fiesta/Manza/Linea, sporting an even lesser engine & is aiming to be a "Civic & Laura killer"? This I'd bet, will become the Biggest Joke of Automotive market. I don't think if any one who spends 16L for a car would be so naive to buy an 85bhp engine (even for the mileage it claims). The very same segment have Diesel mills running 150bhp (almost 2x the Corolla D) in competition. Toyota, good luck selling this car.
Lets get some Maths into your claim
CC BHP TORQUE SIZE LxWxH PRICE(ex)
Altis 1.4L 85 205 4540x1760x1480 12-15
Dzire 1248 75 190 4160x1690x1530 7,07
Linea 1248 93 209 4560x1730x1487 8,78
Manza 1248 90 200 4413x1703x1550 6,97
Fiesta 1399 68 160 4282x1689x1468 8,38

I really dont understand how you call it a Lesser Engine, everything except the linea looks under powered compared to Altis engine. In that case is anyone ready to go for a TATA-FIAT combo over toyota to save about 5 Lakhs? Overall size Altis looks bigger than other car being the widest of all. Being an Indian Bigger the Better.

I have driven both the Altis and the Civic on very short sprints both were dull to drive. Inspite of all these Altis was a best seller in the segment so with a diesel engine, my expectation is, it will surely out sell other cars.

When it comes to refinement i believe Toyota has done a better job. This class as such is for Luxury and Brand Image more than enthusiasm so toyota has everything it needs to rule the market. I accept the fact that its less powerful compared to Laura/cruze but the comfort offered by the altis and the after sales service offered by Toyota makes it a more desirable car over the others.

Declaimer : All the facts about linea/manza/dzire/fiesta where sources from Carwale
fuhrer is offline  
Old 20th July 2010, 17:11   #285
BHPian
 
ranc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lost somewhere on the Leh Manali hway
Posts: 516
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
Lets get some Maths into your claim
CC BHP TORQUE SIZE LxWxH PRICE(ex)
Altis 1.4L 85 205 4540x1760x1480 12-15
Dzire 1248 75 190 4160x1690x1530 7,07
Linea 1248 93 209 4560x1730x1487 8,78
Manza 1248 90 200 4413x1703x1550 6,97
Fiesta 1399 68 160 4282x1689x1468 8,38

I really dont understand how you call it a Lesser Engine, everything except the linea looks under powered compared to Altis engine. In that case is anyone ready to go for a TATA-FIAT combo over toyota to save about 5 Lakhs? Overall size Altis looks bigger than other car being the widest of all. Being an Indian Bigger the Better.

I have driven both the Altis and the Civic on very short sprints both were dull to drive. Inspite of all these Altis was a best seller in the segment so with a diesel engine, my expectation is, it will surely out sell other cars.

When it comes to refinement i believe Toyota has done a better job. This class as such is for Luxury and Brand Image more than enthusiasm so toyota has everything it needs to rule the market. I accept the fact that its less powerful compared to Laura/cruze but the comfort offered by the altis and the after sales service offered by Toyota makes it a more desirable car over the others.

Declaimer : All the facts about linea/manza/dzire/fiesta where sources from Carwale
Why dont you add Verna and Vento to the list both are 105 bhp and both are or will be sub 10 lakhs.

How abt 150 bhp cruze which starts from 12 lakhs and is equally big. that looks vfm now
ranc is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!* mrkanitkar Long-Term Ownership Reviews 50 30th January 2017 15:23
ARAI Bashers - Some clarifications from an ex-ARAI engineer Gansbab Technical Stuff 103 7th January 2013 23:45
CR4 engine now makes the Tata Indigo an ARAI kpl topper! GTO The Indian Car Scene 20 7th September 2011 14:44
Altis Diesel vs Micra Diesel ! Is Altis Diesel still underpowered ??? Hero Puch The Indian Car Scene 13 8th April 2011 16:20
Toyota Innova or Toyota Altis Diesel h.k What Car? 9 4th October 2010 10:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks