Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st December 2011, 20:00   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ever thought of downshifting? From big car to small car?

I consider that I have actually upgraded significantly from my Scorpio (which is a pretty large beast by most standards), to my new Yeti Elegance 4x4 (which is much smaller in comparison).

Of course the 2 vehicles are in completely different classes and spec levels so that can be kept aside for now.

Even otherwise, I would not consider that buying a smaller vehicle automatically goes to mean that one is "down-shifting" or "down-grading" in any way except perhaps the fact that one is making a choice in terms of pure size.

I bought the Yeti simply on account of the quality, engineering finesse, safety, other features and overall fit, finish, value and of course, my own "need" and "want" state.

The shift was motivated only on account of a desire for high quality, safety, engineering finesse and practicality.

In India, it seems that in many cases, that sheer size does matter, but perhaps not for some of us out there. Personally speaking, I would much rather be cocooned in the comfort of an absolutely top spec smaller vehicle, than rattle about in a low spec large monster!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 20:21   #107
BHPian

Long time ago, we moved from an Ambassador to Premier Padmini to a Zen. Is this considered downshifting?
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 22:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
W124 M-Benz E250D to Scorpio and SX4, to Grande Punto MJD presently. Wondering whether those amulets really work; need to keep the Nano at bay!!

No words, only. You got sense of humor man.

When I buy, it will definitely be a small car. And I am eying the Nano Diesel when it comes out. I can zip like one of those auto wallas
sachinj12 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 22:33   #109
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

If a tempting and sexy hatch comes along; why not? But no idea of changing my present ride.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 06:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

God forbid!! One doesnt really want to see little Nanos driven about at high speeds squeezing in and out of traffic like the Auto fellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I can zip like one of those auto wallas
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:50   #111
BHPian

I would not consider downgrading because,
Travelling once a month between Kerala & Bangalore with 3 Adults+1child on board(Child seat included). I find my 500 littre boot too small.
princenoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:04   #112
BHPian

I am planning to sell my old Honda city and downgrade to a Polo or an I20. I use to drive the old honda city and upgraded to Grand Vitara. However kept the old hondacity as second car with a driver. With the increase in Petrol price and honda city is getting old , I am planning to downgrade to Polo/i20 as it would be for city driving and does not require boot space.
sureshurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

I like the top end Polo highline TDi very much indeed. I also like the I 20 top end AT but that is petrol driven and according to my pal who owns one, doesnt give much mileage in Bangalore city driving, so I guess for you, the Top end Crdi I 20 may be better.
(Apparently my friend gets only 6-7Kmpl from that I 20 AT Petrol since he uses it only in the city for the office commute and general errands.) You just might want to consider either the Jazz (with its reduced price) or the new Brio, which from all accounts is a wonderful little car!

And I would not call the shift a downgrade per se - it is simply a usage pattern driven decision which is practical in terms of down-sizing the proportions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I am planning to sell my old Honda city and downgrade to a Polo or an I20. I use to drive the old honda city and upgraded to Grand Vitara. However kept the old hondacity as second car with a driver. With the increase in Petrol price and honda city is getting old , I am planning to downgrade to Polo/i20 as it would be for city driving and does not require boot space.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd December 2011 at 09:24.
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:57   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
God forbid!! One doesnt really want to see little Nanos driven about at high speeds squeezing in and out of traffic like the Auto fellows.
Ha Ha. That was attempt at humor. I failed I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
Though its a downgrade, its an upgrade in terms of interiors and features etc al
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

No worries mate! My imagination boggled a bit at the mental picture your words painted!

[quote=sachinj12;2618592]Ha Ha. That was attempt at humor. I failed I guess.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote