Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th October 2005, 12:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
OUCH ! 100 PS? I thought we were to expect about 110 BHP, or atleast as much as the OHC Vtec. At 9 Lacs on the road......OHC Vtec owners rejoice.

So much for the fire breathing monster some were expecting this to be

GTO
Couldn't agree with you more GTO, I laughed my head off the first time I had seen & driven the new City & now I am laughing even more and patting myself on buying the OHC VTEC instead of the new one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Looks like if it beats the old VTEC it will only be in a straight line.
Sorry, Lambo but I have to diasgree becuase the new VTEC is down 8 bhp on the OHC VTEC and has 90 kgs. more weight than the OHC's 975 kgs. And the torque figures are the same so I would be VERY surprised if its faster than the OHC VTEC.

But well I am pretty disappointed with Honda for only giving it 98 bhp. I think it might well have to do with DETUNING for our crap fuel.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2005, 13:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
But well I am pretty disappointed with Honda for only giving it 98 bhp. I think it might well have to do with DETUNING for our crap fuel.

But our fuel got better over recent years!!!!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2005, 14:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
I would be VERY surprised if its faster than the OHC VTEC.
Well the NHC is more aerodynamically efficient, hence it might beat the OHC in a straight line. Indica, Suzuki liana, GM Aveo, New opel corsa all have a similar exterior front profile.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2005, 16:18   #19
BHPian

Looks better.. I felt the hood has become slightly longer and more horizontal than the old one?? is it true?? or its just thecrease on the centre??
anyway liked the new front grill treatment and the tail lights... it has become more of a sedan from the front and rear... but the sides still have that froggy appearence...
and about the vtech engine, 98bhp is disappointing. Might be due to the influence of Fuel efficiency Honda engineers are most concerned for indian customers...(same with the older model giving only 77 horses).
And what say about the resale of old NHC??
Catamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2005, 16:35   #20
BHPian

Actually am quite intrigued...it would be prudent to wait for a review. Just something to get yr heads working :

City idsi - 0-100 in 13 and some secs with 175 kph top
Honda Jazz vtec was tested in Malaysia-full monty 110 ps 14.6 kgm 0-100 8.85 secs and 205 kph top on 97 RON with CVT. FE not much different from the idsi. Lets have a guessing game..my take first :

0-100 in 10.5 secs with 190kph top on our 91 RON and FE 1kpl less than the idsi.

There is no relevance in the comparison with the OHC vtec and NHC vtec because the new vtec engine is a compromised design i.e. lightweight and compact and the car itself is different..though I would bet that with better boots, the NHC vtec could come close to the OHC in the handling dept.
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2005, 16:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
0-100 in 10.5 secs with 190kph top on our 91 RON and FE 1kpl less than the idsi.
hmmm .. and the Baleno LXi with accessories with still cost around 2L less OTR ! OK ok ... am way offf topic .. sorry !
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 02:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

THe new vtec is not at all good value. I presume its performance will even amke the old 1.5 exi shine.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 11:26   #23
Team-BHP Support

Lately i have seen that japanse automakers think that just their name is worth 1.5L more.
Innova costs less to make than qualis, yet is priced higher as the demand is so high. Same is the case with city too, honda charges premium for the brand name. But i doubt this strategy is going to pay off for very long. Once maruti/hyundai rise to that levels and start offering better VFM products with same quality, customers will start looking elsewhere.
With the elantra falling by 1L more(I expect it to stabilize at 8.2 diesel and 7.2 petrol) Honda will have a tough time justifying the price. And considering Hondas recent warranty cancelling spree, many people wont go back to the brand.
And before you say its a low quality hyundai i am talking about, remember they offer 4 years/80000kms warranty, and that shows their faith in their product.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 12:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
And before you say its a low quality hyundai i am talking about, remember they offer 4 years/80000kms warranty, and that shows their faith in their product.
True! I remember reading sometime back that, in US, they are offering 10 years warranty on powertrains and 5 years car warranty. And I do agree that Honda is charging premium on their cars (which are, no doubt, good).
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 12:06   #25
BHPian

tsk...I beg to differ. Honda's cancellation of warranty claims(of which I am not aware) not withstanding, it is unlikely that Hyundai/Maruti will reach Honda/Toyota status unless Honda/Toyota goof up big time. Similarly Honda/Toyota will find it extremely difficult to reach Merc/BMW status. Yes, brand name (built over the years) does play a very important part and will command a premium. The other issue is technology and design (from the customers viewpoint).

Please enlighten me on the warranty cancellation issue.
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 12:55   #26
BHPian

Default umm

[quote=Floyd de Souza]tsk, brand name (built over the years) does play a very important part and will command a premium. The other issue is technology and design (from the customers viewpoint).

QUOTE]

I think customers will be more discerning and can easily see whether the brands are worth the price.

Hundai definitely is in the rear view mirror of hondas/Toyotos.

I have however grown up and do not buy brand names any more
v_s_natarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 12:56   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@TSK - You betcha! Hyundai has brought down the gap in quality and reliability levels to the minutest. And its only a matter of time before they are on par with Honda and Toyota.

If anything, Hyundai has kept the Japanese boys and their prices in check. However, they do need to work on the refinement, handling and performance aspect for cars costing over 10 lacs rupees. Their existing levels may match the expectations of B and C segment buyers but its not upto the mark of D segment players.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 13:18   #28
BHPian

Hyundai has certaily improved and is not far away from the biggies like toyota and honda, However out here in UAE Hyundai, and for that matter all korean cars like KIA, the older daewoos etc are still considered cheap. They hardly carry any snob value, very low on resale and the general impression is that the car is good only for 3 years or around 100k kms, afterwars starts giving problems.
I myself used one accent (for a short term) during my initial years here and i have found that the cars comes fully loaded at a very low price, however all the goodies will give problems later on.. like the automatic antenna gets stuck, problems with power windows, etc etc
On a contradictory note i should also inform you that i see a lot of Tucsons these days in Dubai roads ...and its a kind of success here..priced around 51000 AED (6 to 6.2lakhs INR approx) exshowroom for the base petrol model
Catamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 13:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
And considering Hondas recent warranty cancelling spree, many people wont go back to the brand.
Agree with you completely TSK1979 I have first hand experience of what you are talking about. Let me explain :

I owned a Santro for 4 years & did 105,000 kms. in it. At all times the service of Hyundai Plaza (delhi) was absolutely exemplary and at no time did they argue about replacing anything under warranty. There was a frequent problem of warped brake discs in my car and they changed the discs 9 times without even asking me & also 2 of those times it was done when the car was out of warranty but they did it under Goodwill warranty. Once I remember I gave the car for service during which they found the exhaust had cracked because I had hit a bump once, now without even calling and telling me they changed the exhaust under warranty without any questions. Now that was what I call service.

Now I have a VTEC for 2 years and the experience with Prime Honda has been absolutely crap form the word go. The car had non-removable spots on the alloys at delivery which when I created a huge fuss were rectified after 6 months. About after 9 months the A/C compressor conked off, now I was travelling with an overseas customer of mine at the time & it was hugely embarassing since it was pretty hot in Delhi. Later on that day I dropped the car for replacement of the compressor and they told me it would take minimum 3 days since somebody would come from Honda itself and only when he gave the approval they would change it under warranty. I blasted the buggers about the delay since it was a straight forward case of a part failure but they refused and I had to live without the car for 3 days after which I was given the car back with a new compressor. This is just one incident and after repeated frustation I have finally stopped going to Honda and give it now to a good private workshop. Their servicing standard was in general very poor & they are expensive. For just replacing a bonnet (a cow came out of nowhere on the highway) they needed 10 days, which I got done from Pandit & Co. in 3 days and 25% cheaper.

In fact I had thought that Honda woulod be a trouble free experience but it has been the absolute opposite, in hindsight I think Hyunday has better service (atleast in Delhi) as Prime Honda my local dealer is supposed to be the best in the whole of North India and if they are so bad I shudder to think what the others are like.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 13:51   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now I have a VTEC for 2 years and the experience with Prime Honda has been absolutely crap form the word go.
I absolutely agree with this statement. Honda service is downright pathetic even in Bombay. The service centers are running seriously over capacity and the car never comes back clean and feeling "serviced".

Unlike your experience however, I have had 0 problems yet in my 30,000 km run Vtec. Not a bulb gone wrong.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote