Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th May 2010, 22:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Great write up Sidindica..
Looking at the new car, I have a feeling it will surely be longer than 4m that means it will anyway loose out on the tax benefits.
Secondly the wheel surely looks too close the the frame, they will tweak it to suit Indian road conditions.
Thirdly since anyway the car will be longer and no tax benefits. I am sure it will come with a 1.6l engine.

Bottom-line, I am sure they will still continue the current swift (like they have done for Alto, 800) etc and get the new Swift with new name like Swift Max.
Meaning the swift will range to compete from Chevy Beat and its range will go on to extent of Hyundai Verna.
Meaning the price band will be 5L in lower end to 10L at higher end.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 22:13   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
How many Swifters you know having Swift Petrol? or for that matter, how many Swift Petrol are there on TBHP? Swift has just been popular and going because of the fiat's diesel engine. Nothing else.
Incorrect. The petrol sells very well too. It was the petrol that triggered the craze before the diesel came in.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 00:37   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe
How many Swifters you know having Swift Petrol? or for that matter, how many Swift Petrol are there on TBHP? Swift has just been popular and going because of the fiat's diesel engine. Nothing else.
How many do you want to see ? The Swift was a rage before the Fiat engine came in. I test-drove a diesel (ABT did not have a Petrol Swift demo car when I walked-in) though we wanted to buy only a petrol. So, while I don't want to take any credit away from the diesel heart, it is just part of the success formula, not the sole reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe
Palio failed because of Fiat India's image at that time. But still, I know many people who own Palio and they swear by it.
We all swear by the cars we own. What's so special about the Palio owners ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 00:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Proud to be an owner of a White Swift Diesel and Loved every bit of your post. Really, I have never been so proud of anything ever in my life than having that White Swift near me.

Whenever asked by people ' Who all are in your family', the answer is always Mom Dad, Swift and Me.

Thanks Maruti for making so many 'dreams' come true.

From a Proud Swift Owner who loves his car to BITS !!!
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 02:40   #65
BHPian

Swift Rocks !

Have had one since 2007 and its still pure pleasure while driving!
and yes mines a red petrol zxi. It was never the ddis for me the rev happy g13b always took the cake
ibcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 09:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:

Palio failed because of Fiat India's image at that time. But still, I know many people who own Palio and they swear by it.
Grossly incorrect. Petrol owners too swear by it. Remember that the G13BB's free revving nature is not matched my most other small car petrol engines.
And now there's the K-Series that has rightly been branded as the best small car petrol engine in the country.
The wait time for petrol swift's too is upwards of 45 days. That should explain.
vikramk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 09:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How many Swifters you know having Swift Petrol? or for that matter, how many Swift Petrol are there on TBHP?
Another (new) Red Petrol Swift owner here. And yes, the K-series engine in mine is a gem, and makes the petrol Swift even more of a worthwhile buy than before.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 13:46   #68
BHPian

Default waiting for post

There would be many people like me who went for the VXI as the waiting period was killing for DDIS. But we are all happy as ever with VXI.

OT:
I am still waiting for my post (with pic) to appear here as it was posted yesterday.
BheemBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 14:03   #69
BHPian

I agree with all. The petrol swift too is doing well. Diesel is not the sole reason for Swift's success. We own a K series petrol swift. Its a great car.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 14:44   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Waiting period of a few months for Swift-D is the case all over the country - not just Punjab. Maybe you can look at the sales figures of the Swift (before diesel was launched) and then know whether the car was an "utter failure" as you think it was.
If a car selling many thousands every month is a failure, wonder what you would call some of its peers (you know which one) which were selling a hundred-odd cars a month.

And diesel outselling petrol is nothing restricted to Swift alone. How many Ford petrols sell compared to the TDCi ? Heck, they even stopped the 1.4l petrol car due to lack of sales. Same for any other car with equivalent diesel version in the market - Verna, Palio, Punto, Linea and even the Mercs and Beemers. More than the capability of the engine (how many of the buyers would know about it being an award-winning engine?), it just shows Indian's love for the cheaper fuel.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 17:10   #71
BHPian

Default All about feelings

Guys,

It's all the same.

Before Swift, I was driving the M800 and I still love the car.
Instead of Swift, If I had opted for an Hyundai, I would be raving about Hyundai or any other car.

I hardly use my Shaolin these days. But I can't come to terms when I think of selling it.
BheemBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 13:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

May 25, 2010.

Exactly 5 years ago on this day, a star is born, and continues to scale new heights of success, day after day, month after month, year after year.
Success gets better with age, and this car has proved it all.
Truly, the winner takes it all.
sidindica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:42   #73
BHPian

Default Get a Grip

Quote:

Thorpe, I am sad that all the wonderful effort put in by sidindica went wasted on you - an effort to extoll the virtues of the Swift, dimension by dimension - while you are stuck on the fact that the diesel engine was made by Fiat. Sure it was, but that was not all there is to the car, which you will realise if you go through the earlier posts - or if you drive it, for that matter.

Since this is a tribute to the Swift, a discussion on why the Palio failed may well be launched in a new thread - "An Obit to the Palio".

The Swift was "popular and going" before the Diesel version was even launched, in case you did not notice. Please get a grip on your facts and understandings before you dismiss all relevant factors with a "Nothing else".
roadie_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Well ! Sidinidca, brilliant article. Thoroughly researched & brilliantly penned down. Hats off to you !

Is there any scope of the Swift Sport coming into India, c'mon let us know if you "know" coz I am on the verge of TC'ing my Swift & I would not want to do that if the Sport IS coming. Your answer would save me a couple of $$$, so be good & let us know the inside story..or if it is coming with a stonker diesel ??

Here's a picture of my Swift

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 26th May 2010 at 21:08.
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
Since this is a tribute to the Swift, a discussion on why the Palio failed may well be launched in a new thread - "An Obit to the Palio".
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iat-palio.html (Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio)
sidindica is online now   Reply With Quote