Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st October 2005, 11:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

i think those are 800 rims
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 13:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Eye-popping stuff, Ananth, eye-popping....salut....!
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 18:54   #33
BHPian

yeah infact the black rims seems to be a standard format of anand's cars....eh? both the indica and the dolphin sport the same!
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 21:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys; thanks so much for the good response. Inspires me to write that review now.

Steeroid firstly I want to apologize because I happened to have a power outage in the house since yesterday; haven't been able to post or see your PM as a result. Today I was out all day attending an aero-modeling show here & just stepped into my house now.

Yeah the black/silver wheel combo is my favorite. Inspired by the early Porsches & of course, KNIGHT RIDER!

What follows is extremely long & extremely boring at times. You are Warned.

Review/Story of the Dolphin:

After the D1 broke, I was down in the dumps for a while. Imagine, your first car BREAKING (not breaking down, merely). So I started looking around for a Dolphin because its been my childhood dream to one of these. After seeing many broken down ones, I was really lucky to get a lead on CNA 7768: a clean, original 1983 model: with the British body. It lay abandoned in a factory somewhere outside the city.

Upon close inspection we found that the car was in reasonably good mechanical condition. Everything seemed to be ok except for the interiors which were totally unrepairable. Importantly, the records were straight & all it needed was a Fitness Certificate from the RTO. So I picked up the car for 15k.

After towing it back the first thing to do was to connect everything up & start the engine. It started at first crank! while towing we realized that the brakes were shot and the rear axle seemed to be squeaking a tad (shot bearings). Also the problem was getting good 10" tyres (the Ape rickshaw ones are used normally).

So we replaced the front uprights along with front brakes & the entire rear axle with the ones from the D1. The result is that I now have a Maruti tandem master cylinder with front disc brakes & huge rear drum brakes. Also, the front track has increased from 1245 mm to 1290 mm; the rear track increased from 1245 mm to 1340 mm. This is nearly as much as an Esteem & I think greater than the Zen. The biggest advantage was the 12" rims that came with the D1.

A problem faced was that the D1 had an axle ratio of 3.2 due to its diesel engine. After much pondering and altering, the 3.6 from the original Dolphin axle was grafted onto this reinforced D1 axle.

Also the gutted switch panel was thrown and replaced with the Maruti combo switch as seen in the pics. The horn button is like that of a truck since there is no provision for the same on the 12" steering wheel (slightly bigger than a go-kart's).

A special mention must be made of the silencer (-like box). This marked a major step for me as it was my first car exhaust. At the time I was heavily into 2-stroke tuning & pipe-making (Hence the name The Pipefather- FYI, v1p3r) & a nice little 2-stroke like expansion chamber was made for the car (with due consideration to specific requirements of 4-stroke engines). Its completely empty inside and the outlet is 1.5". It sounds very throaty but not at all loud. In fact I can say its very unique & like nothing else on the road without sounding boastful.

Everything except for these components was left stock at the time. The interiors were done up decently with new seats but the smelly carpets & headliner were ripped out. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to focus on this till date.

Initial tests indicated that the mileage was atrocious- 9 km/l. The cause was found to be a worn carb needle which I haven't been able to procure. A Solex carb was tried but the car simply didnt have the punch. So the decision was made to fit a LPG kit (I was/am but a poor student/jobless man). With this I got 350 km for a single domestic cylinder. Proves that the mileage on petrol should be 16-18 km/l.

Finally it went for a paint job and two coats were put on. The final coat has been held up because there are some minor mechanical & fine-tuning issues that need to be sorted. The FC was done soon after this.

I used the car like this for the better part of a year. The car was extremely manueverable and very sensitive to steering inputs. Also, at the time I felt it also had the least body roll among any car I had driven. The engine revved very well for a 20 year old pushrod. The throttle response was good, and even more so due to the quick throttle that came from the factory.

The car has been extensively tested on the dirt track because I don't believe in putting my/others life in danger by testing on public roads. Driving on the dirt is actually much more fun with rear-wheel drive than I imagined. The car would understeer during initial turn-in. Powering up at mid-corner would throw the tail out. What really surprised me was the ease with which a smooth slide could be held throughout the corner. But a dampner to the whole sensation was the flat bench-like bucket seats which offer no side support at all. More about this later.

Using the car for about 3000 km helped me assess the faults & I have been tackling them one at a time. Progress has been ridiculously slow due to lack of time.

First off putting 12" wheels raised the car by about 1". This means the turn-in was not very crisp & the car rolled more than I liked. At the rear, the heavier unsprung weight of the rear axle means the car did not behave very well over less-than-smooth surfaces.

I have rectified that by making custom front coilovers with cut-springs and revalved dampers. This has dropped the car by about 1.75". With this bump-steer has been eliminated and the car turns-in the way I want it to. Initial turn-in is very aggressive with minimal steering input and absolutely no discernible body roll.

The rear leaf-spring suspension is a pain to both endure while driving as well as fine-tuning. That I don't know jack about leaf springs doesn't help matters. Numerous things have been done to it but I am not satisfied. Further the guy who flattened the springs hasn't done a good job of measuring & the rear is actually lower than the front. You can see it in the pictures if you look closely. Presently I am working on optimising the rear along with positioning the dampers on the axle correctly. (stock is typically-Sipani gujri work).If I am still not satisfied I am planning to convert the rear to independent which will make tuning easier.

Frankly I don't want to spend time and money on the engine as it is a bit tired. A more powerful engine is on the cards.

Also the seats are absolutely useless because they offer no side support while cornering. Since I am poor, I cannot afford to spend on Sparco etc. So I am going to make my own seats, the objective of which is to be more comfortable and offer more side/lumbar/neck support than other overpriced Sparco-clones. I want to make them in fibreglass but that works out slightly expensive for one-off moulding. So if some people here want some super-cheap (MAXX 3k) yet good Sparco-like seats which they can upholster to their tastes, let me know. We can turn out a small batch jointly.

So this is the story of my car till date. Comments.
ananthkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 21:44   #35
BHPian

All enthusiasts, take a bow!!

Here is one true-blue enthusiast .. Hats off to you..
shankaranand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 21:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Anand, that was a pretty good review. Had a dolphin once and was a big fan. Don't make your own seats. You can get imported seats in good condition for less that 3K in chennai.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 21:56   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
So we replaced the front uprights along with front brakes & the entire rear axle with the ones from the D1. The result is that I now have a Maruti tandem master cylinder with front disc brakes & huge rear drum brakes. Also, the front track has increased from 1245 mm to 1290 mm; the rear track increased from 1245 mm to 1340 mm. This is nearly as much as an Esteem & I think greater than the Zen. .
Did you use the Maruti's upright or the D1's upright in the front. (I assume D1 had a modified upright designed to accept Maruti's calipers and disc and hub without the spline for the halfshaft)
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 22:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

I used the D1 uprights. They are essentially Dolphin uprights with a spindle modified to accept Maruti wheel bearings. The brake disc & caliper (LH & RH swapped) are from Maruti but the hub is custom made for a higher scrub radius (about half the tread of a 145 tyre).
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 23:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have searched in vain to try and get a smiley that will raise its arms and bow down to the ground.....in a nutshell, I'm THRILLED that the forum is able to attract people like you to it. Reading your post was a very humbling experience - its something I personally wanted to do, but could never get down to.

I'm going to search for a Dolphin instead of a bug Fiat...there are a few still running around here.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 08:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

AnathKamath, you are simply AMAZING. I Bow to you, as steeroid said. Your creativity is amazing and I am in awe of your acheivements.

Honestly, you have inspired me, man!!!
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 10:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Anand, I thought you were working with MICO...

Why dont you apply to any auto makers?? Take your Dolph also with you for the interview, and show you "CV on four wheels" to them- explain all the mods to them.

Like Steeroid said, men like you are an asset of any forum. GTO must be the proudest man in Mumbai.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd October 2005 at 10:19.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 11:12   #42
BHPian

Amazing review Ananth... Never thought there would be a Dolphin enthusiast even in this age...Loved this car always due to those performance figures and the cute little shape..
hats off to you for all those mods...I wish i had all the knowledge like you about cars....
CAT.

P.S Any body having details of standard 2000??
Catamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 13:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Pipefather...hahaha!!!

Great work Ananth! It was good to finally put a face to the name(s), and now there's a ride to go with the face! And what a ride it is...the Dolphin has always been a sweet car...and yours, being restored with love, makes it even sweeter...

I guess you now join the ranks of Psycho, GTO and Rudra, with their lovingly restored classics!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 16:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hey anath, why dont you change ur name to pipefather, sounds amazing man!!!!
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 16:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the accolades, guys...I am really not worthy.

Sandeep I was working with TVS, not Mico....And right now I am working on getting into a good US university for my Masters....

Catamaran, there's still a long, hard way to go as far as I am concerned.....my policy is something new must be learnt everyday.

v1p3r, wait till you see the race that s won with the ride...

Here's a short video of me parking the car: the disturbance is too much because I had to shoot in a low-res mode to keep the file size small.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5NTLV9J7

And, finally, some dolphin art:

Its drawn by Mark Gredzinski, who draws/renders dragster cars and concepts. I don't have the source because it was downloaded by me a long time ago.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote