Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th May 2010, 19:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Send all those HTV drivers to Delhi, and our Blueline drivers will individually train them on how to bypass the speed governor!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 21:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I remember the cab that we had engaged in Karnataka has a speed limiter fitted. But somehow the cab driver had found a way to disengaged the gadget and was going easily around 110 kph..

My point, its gonna increase revenue for garages who engage in working around the system. Whereby on the dash board the tool is there but inside it doesnt work..
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 21:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

All Volvo buses operated by BMTC, Bangalore are now speed limited to 70 Kph. If the driver exceeds this limit, a beeper goes off and then the driver immediately slows own. So far I have been seeing the Volvo drivers slow down religiously every time the beeper goes off on the Bangalore Airport Bus Service, even at odd hours with barely a few passengers in the bus.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 22:11   #19
BHPian

Its a good move...if it works. Its a pretty big IF, I must add. This has already been tried in Kerala and Karnataka I guess. But people there have found ways to override the speed limiters.

Only if the drivers themselves change, some REAL change is gonna happen...
neutralgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 22:20   #20
BHPian

Even most of the Meru cabs in Bangalore have this speed governor.
if they cross 80 a voice comes stating You are exceeding the speed limit and the cab slows down. I have seen this happen in a cab I took .
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 22:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Even most of the Meru cabs in Bangalore have this speed governor.
if they cross 80 a voice comes stating You are exceeding the speed limit and the cab slows down. I have seen this happen in a cab I took .

I guess its the GPS programmed that way - speed governor would actually not let the driver accelarate. Does the cab slow down even if the driver is pushing the gas?
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Does the cab slow down even if the driver is pushing the gas?
No it does not, but it gets recorded. I think MERU has something in the contract regarding it.

What it does it panics the passengers.

One of our clients from US and me were travelling in one and everytime the voice came on it freaked out the client. He would politely ask me to convey it to the driver.

After a couple of times being polite, the driver did not relent. I asked him to stop the cab and said we are getting off and his tab will not be paid.

He did not here the automated voice again.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:23   #23
BHPian

I think it is going to be even more problem with the speed limiter. The cabbie is not going to be dettered by speed limiter and still will try to overtake vehicles going at say 70-75 kph. Only thing is the cab cannot quickly overtake since its limited to 80 kph and will take for ever to cross. in meanwhile you and me will be stuck behind these cars and get more frustated.
Also I think in certain situations it is going to be more life threatning to the cab itself by not allowing the car to exceed 80 kph.
the VTEC guy is offline   Reply With Quote