Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th May 2010, 12:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Trucks & Cabs to soon have speed limiters / governors

The Maharashtra Transport Department is looking serious to put the brakes on rash driving. It plans to bring in a speed restriction on vehicles plying in the state by passing a resolution to make it mandatory for all vehicles to be fitted with a speed regulator device to restrict speed.

Some important points to note:
  • The speed limit in urban and rural areas will be a maximum of 60 km, while on national and state highways it will be less than 80 km per hour.
  • The device would be compulsory for all school buses, private service vehicles, public and private transport buses, taxis, autos, goods vehicles of the home state and all goods and transport vehicles of other states.
  • All permits already issued or to be issued henceforth will contain a stipulation on the installation of a speed regulator, which will ensure that the vehicle is not driven at speeds in excess of what is notified.
  • This rule will NOT apply to private vehicles.

I feel this is a fantastic move by the Govt. to keep a check on reckless driving. However I feel that even the speed of 60 kph is a lot for commercial vehicles in the city. It should ideally be 50kph IMO. Along with the speed restrictions, the Govt needs to look at enforcing the idea of dedicated lanes for buses. This can go a long way in ensuring smooth flow of traffic and the speed regulators can help reduce fatal accidents.

Source: Link to TOI Article
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Such a move was proposed in Karnataka as well.
About 3-4 days of strike by the cab operators, and the government rolled back the plan with their tails between their legs.

Seriously, anyone with some clout can make the country heel, is what i have come to believe seeing such antics.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:18   #3
BHPian

I feel its a kneejerk reaction rather than a well thought of solution. Its just a matter of time before our janta comes up with solutions to beat that system. In addition, we would now see more slow moving vehicles on the road.

Rather than enforcing speed limiters, they should focus more on driving discipline and make the processes stringent starting right from the license issuing and renewal.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

If this has been aimed at reducing rash driving & accidents, then this solution may not help. At least now, vehicles don't make decisions, it's person behind wheel does. Having speed governor is only going to add frustration level of cab driver & may lead to more road rage.
We, as a country, have a long way to go in terms of driving discipline & in my opinion this speed governor measure isn't a step in that direction.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore had seen this move being tried 3 years ago. Result:
Strikes
Tampered speed limiters
Wirings being changed to make only the lights blink
Total failure of the implementation and purpose

There is no way this is going to work, and I fail to understand why the biggies up there dont understand what we understand so easily? We have had enough of such pretentious stuff making useless headlines off late.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I got three words.
"NEVER GONNA HAPPEN"
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why our officials being so optimistic about rules being followed religiously here in our country? The system itself is so corrupt that bringing in such rules simply makes way for more corruption. Sorry to sound like a party spoiler , but then the problem here is with the un-educated lot in the political system.

I remember when this rule was imposed in bangalore , most of the cabbies went on strike and the rule had to be called off without any effect.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:30   #8
BHPian

Lets not compare Bangalore to Mumbai .

In Bangalore, the cabbies enjoy political support and hence can get away with anything. Same may not be true for Mumbai.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 14:02   #9
BHPian

In my state they have speed breakers every 100m in almost all non-arterial roads, as though the condition of these roads is not sufficient to slow you down.
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:46   #10
BHPian

How do these speed regulators work? Is it an alarm or warning which goes off once a speed limit is crossed or will it not let the vehicle cross the limit by limiting the fuel supply?
grules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
How do these speed regulators work? Is it an alarm or warning which goes off once a speed limit is crossed or will it not let the vehicle cross the limit by limiting the fuel supply?
Having seen them in action on the KeSRTC buses in Kerala, i would say they dont allow the speed to cross the mentioned limit. There is no alarm or buzzer involved.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

When Goa was not a State but a Union Territory, speed governors were a requirement for all commercial vehicles. It worked very well. The government buses were the safest to travel in.

We became a state the politics got in and out went the speed governors.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 17:03   #13

All the rules and all the regulation will amount to nothing unless some sort of Driver Education is not undertaken. If the government cant undertake an initiative of this sort maybe the NGO's can step in.

Every time I am on the highway, I think that there is no point in have 6 lane highways, unless someone teaches the truck drivers that they are not supposed to drive in the middle lane, also Car drivers need to understand it is not OK to overtake from the right.

So it makes me wonder, how are Speed Governors going to make a difference?
aaravb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 17:03   #14
BHPian

A total failure in Kerala. Worked well in some RTC buses, but now even them don't seem working.

Trucks had them fitted at the time of registration or checking and later tampered.

Manufacturers and tamperers make moolah. That's all. Great pity, because the system, if it works, is really good for our roads.
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 19:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
In its simplest form, its 2 opposing flyweights attached to the driveshaft which rotate with speed and disengage the driveshft whenever the speed crosses a certain limit (when the rotating weights pull the shaft back).
In modern cars, speed governing can be implemented via ECU.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote