Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th May 2010, 09:44   #1
BHPian

Default Mahindra to bid for Ssangyong. EDIT : Signs MOU Pg. 4

After looking at launching the Rexton, M&M are now looking at formally bidding for the troubled Korean car maker Ssangyong. The deal is reportedly worth upto $500 million.

M&M is said to be reviewing its potential proposal currently and deciding whether to submit the letter of intent or not.

If this goes through, I am sure we will see Ssangyong cars very soon on our roads. Although I am not particularly a fan of their cars, the pick-up truck in their stable looks beautiful

MODS: PLEASE SHIFT THIS THREAD IF IT IS NOT APPLICABLE HERE.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

wow, this is a good news, is this information from a trusted source?
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 11:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
wow, this is a good news, is this information from a trusted source?
Reported by Economic Times.
Mahindra & Mahindra in race for Korea's Ssangyong-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 11:26   #4
BHPian

Is the MB 124 still produced by sangyong, last heard 124 selling as president in korea ,any one has news of what is the deal between , M&M and SSYG , Technology transafer or compleat buy out
Rovergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 19:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

SSangyong is a good buy for mahindra,has a number of utility vehicles.But their designs are horrendous.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 11:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
SSangyong is a good buy for mahindra,has a number of utility vehicles.But their designs are horrendous.

Which designs are you talking about, I saw the Rexton recently and that was a very good looking and capable looking SUV.
ranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Which designs are you talking about, I saw the Rexton recently and that was a very good looking and capable looking SUV.
The Rexton and the Actyon are I think the only ones which are great looking. However, I must say that their cars are very unique looking!
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 11:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

SSangyong and Mahindra have natural synergy in design at least; look at SSangyong Korando the older one looks exactly like what mahindra would do if they have to produce a hard metal top MM550 or Thar

By the way the pronunciation of the company is Song - Young which is a popular female name , Mostly they write english spelling as Song-Young instead of SS.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 12:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

SsangYong also has collaboration with Daimler and Chrysler. They are producing duplicate Mercedes in Korea. There are many Merc looking cars you can see in Korea, produced from SsangYong. I see one of them is Chairman.

Korando's production is closed some 2 years back and in place of Korando they have Actvon SUV. It does not look proper due to its headlights shape. But it is one of the good (Not best) seller SUV in Korea.

By the way, I like design of Korando very much and my avatar is also same.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 13:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Korando's production is closed some 2 years back and in place of Korando they have Actvon SUV. It does not look proper due to its headlights shape. But it is one of the good (Not best) seller SUV in Korea.

By the way, I like design of Korando very much and my avatar is also same.
Anuj there is one more Korando older then your profile pic of early 90s or 80s , it is exactly like MM550 with steel top . Common Jeep heritage.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
The Rexton and the Actyon are I think the only ones which are great looking. However, I must say that their cars are very unique looking!
Then I take it you haven't seen the universally hated Rodius. It looks pathetic. And so does the Actyon.Even its mother won't love that ugly,bloated front end. The Rexton is still..digestible!

Rodius
Name:  imgssangyong20rodius3.jpg
Views: 2807
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  1244109546_size_10.jpeg
Views: 2353
Size:  34.4 KB

Acyton Sports
Name:  ssangyongactyonsports.jpg
Views: 2232
Size:  45.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
SsangYong also has collaboration with Daimler and Chrysler. They are producing duplicate Mercedes in Korea. There are many Merc looking cars you can see in Korea, produced from SsangYong. I see one of them is Chairman.
Yes,they used to plonk Mercedes-Benz engines back then.The only Ssanyong I liked was the Musso.Even though it had a slightly weird looking front,it had that no nonsense SUV look a la Nissan Patrol/Isuzu Trooper.It also used Merc engines,both gasoline and diesel .
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 14:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

@AyAn , Seeing M&M creations like Xylo and Scorpio ( look wise) I think Ssongyong designs are perfect synergy they share a lot of thinking already.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

amit has a point there. The genes are already flowing in M&M. If at all they take any cues there, we can see further messed up, bloated & pregnant cars in India!!(spare my humour please!)
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 14:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
@AyAn , Seeing M&M creations like Xylo and Scorpio ( look wise) I think Ssongyong designs are perfect synergy they share a lot of thinking already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
amit has a point there. The genes are already flowing in M&M. If at all they take any cues there, we can see further messed up, bloated & pregnant cars in India!!(spare my humour please!)
Oh C'mon! The Scorpio and Xylo aren't as bad as these Ssanyongs! But yes,I do agree about the similarity in the thought process of the the designers from both parties! A marriage of equals eh?!

I really hope the upcoming W201 changes that though!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 14:37   #15
BHPian

If Mahindra manages to get the Rodius into showrooms, XYLO will fly off the shelves
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote