Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th May 2010, 19:25   #181
BHPian

Excellent contribution SmartCat.
All data available on one click and decision is made easy.

You are the Cruising Automobiles Library! Hats off...
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 19:28   #182
Senior - BHPian

smartcat, the Fiesta 1.6 has the following. I am sure it also applies to the 1.4 diesel but I hope an owner can confirm.

- Internal fuel lid opening
- Boot open button on keys
- Boot lamp

You have covered everything else.

Last edited by Gilead : 25th May 2010 at 19:31.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 19:28   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
hey I'm not sure if I got that. What's TCO?
Total Cost of Ownership

Here's the thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...et-sedans.html
echo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 20:48   #184
BHPian

Smartcat Optra Diesel doesn't have the sunroof, also the electric foldable mirror is not present, both of these are present only in the Petrol version.
arishi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:41   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Got it - I have updated my XL sheet for Fiesta & Optra.

Round No. 7 - FEATURES & EQUIPMENT (contd)

To keep it simple, I'm ranking the cars based on the number of features available in each car. The car with the highest number of features gets 26 points and the car with the lowest number of features gets 1 point.

The obvious flaw with this type of point system for features is that we do consider the value in rupees of each feature. That is, a sunroof that costs Rs. 30,000 is NOT considered more valuable than a bootlamp that probably costs the manufacturer Rs. 1000. The reason why we cannot rank cars based on the value of each feature is that - we don't know how much each feature adds to the overall cost of the car.

Anyway, the idea of this section is to find out how feature-rich a particular car is. That's why ranking of cars based on number of features makes more sense - basically, it is a ranking of how thoughtfully the car has been equipped.

Name:  features.JPG
Views: 15444
Size:  60.1 KB

Comments:

- Fiat Linea tops the list again. It really has everything that you really need - steering mounted audio controls, dead pedal for comfortable long drives, climate control, front arm rest, rear arm rest, rear AC vents, electric mirrors and nice fat 195/60 R15 tyres with alloys.

- Cedia & Optra too are quite well equipped - will not be ashamed in the company of Corollas & Civics. Cedia's ICE unit is brilliant all-in-one unit that has music player, GPS and DVD movie player.

- DZire does not have electric mirrors while Manza doesn't have alloys. However, Manza has many little niceties that DZire doesn't have.

- It is quite sad that Honda City has 175/60 R15 tyres. Cars that cost half (Ritz petrol for example) has wider tyres. Other than this, Honda City has almost everything that a non-demanding owner needs - but its just that other cars are better equipped that this one.

- As expected, the old gen sedans like Indigo, Accent, Ikon, Lancer etc end up at the bottom of the rankings. Indigo XL is of course, an exception.

FINAL RANKINGS

Ranking of sedans under Rs. 12 Lacs that offer the best compromise between performance, driveability, price, safety, features, practicality & running costs -

Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-finaltable.jpg

Note that a car can earn a maximum of 26 points & minimum of 1 point in each of these parameters. So when you see numbers like 17, 21, 5, 6 etc, you should have an idea about where it stands with respect to others in the list. Also, if you a particular parameter is not that important to you (eg: driveability or running cost), you can ignore that row and check how the car performs in the other parameters.

Name:  final rankings.JPG
Views: 2782
Size:  48.4 KB

Comments:

- The "green" cars are excellent VFM cars, while the cars in "blue" offer fairly decent value for money. The cars in "red" - well, you are not getting enough car for your money.

- Of course, the caveat is that we still haven't considered ride, handling, engine refinement, etc etc blah blah. So if you add it to the equation, the cars at the bottom of the list too might offer value.

- The wild card entry Optra diesel tops the VFM car list. Ranks among the best in each round except for the price, of course.

- Cedia leaves the Octavia petrol behind - Mitsubishi has packed it with good equipment levels. And we haven't considered the Momo steering wheel or the OZ alloys on the Cedia!

- When we consider the features/equipment levels, Linea MJD jumps 7 places and ends up at the 5th place in the rankings. Linea petrol jumps 6 places and just about escapes the poor VFM tag. The upcoming Linea 120 BHP T-Jet shoould be quite interesting, to say the least.

- Among others, SX4 too makes a large jump in the rankings table. It scores well on outright acceleration, safety and features. But among Rs. 9 lac petrol sedans, Fiesta 1.6 probably makes more sense. However, if you can extend your budget by a lakh or so, Honda City is the one to go for - better mileage & practicality.

- If you are on a budget, Indigo CS diesel, Ikon diesel, Marina petrol & Indigo XL petrol are the cars to look at.

- Mitsubishi Lancer diesel @ Rs. 9.29 lacs? Time to retire I think.

- On paper atleast, the Manza diesel seems to be better than the DZire diesel.

Last edited by smartcat : 26th May 2010 at 16:48.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:49   #186
BHPian

Good work, smartcat.

The entire analysis is really going to help a lot of people on this forum to take decision, especially the ones who would be caught between 2 similarly packaged vehicles.

Cheers,
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:50   #187
BHPian

Nice analysis. Does make sense for all the features that you considered. But ultimately its the feel that one has for brand/feature/equipment/spec that influences the decision. Top 2 factors in deciding my Optra2.0 were (1) the engine (2) the features at that price. Happy to see my ride right at the top

What about A.S.S and brand value? Its not directly measureable. Is that coming too?
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:59   #188
Senior - BHPian

^^ Excellent finale smartcat.
Add to Cedia goodies All wheel independent suspensions with rear multi-links (I think none of the other cars listed here has this feature) and All wheel disc brakes (many of the topper don't have this too).

One word. Just only one word from me. You might have wanted to leave Mistubishi Lancer out of this Rat-race. It is already greying and we never got any upgraded versions in India. More than a decade old engine, build, equipement and features, while all other cars in this list are farily newer editions with constant upgrades, so that you get to compare the latest version.
Like you said, Lancer is all set to retire and make way for the All New Lancer-2010. Man I am waiting for that machine.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 26th May 2010 at 17:01.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 19:17   #189
BHPian

Thanks again for this wonderful thread, smartcat

Note that none of the top 4 win any category, but the 5th wins 2 categories.

Tata Indigo CS is an extremely VFM entry level sedan, winning the 2 categories crucial in India - Running Costs and On Road Price.

Is anyone working on a 0-1 scale based ranking?
Old 26th May 2010, 19:28   #190
BHPian

Smartcat, can you please attach the spreadsheet that you used? I want to see if a scale based ranking (0-1) is possible, and it would save me a ton of time if I didn't have to enter these numbers all over again.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:58   #191
BHPian

Smartcat, Being the proud owner of legendary BALENO, I never thought of parting with it as I couldn't (didn't) compare any new cars with it. Now I am bit curious to see your final final top 5 cars.

Would you be coming up with a similar guide for pre-owned car buyers?
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 23:05   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

- waiting for the features list to be reasonably accurate after I get all your inputs.
Though I am late in pointing this out (final ranking already out) but Maruti Dzire Diesel definitely has internal boot lid opener. It gets another point in the features ranking and should move from 108 to 109 points overall.

-Navneet
Navneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 23:32   #193
mkh
Senior - BHPian

It cant get more objective than this. The sales charts reflect something similar, Manza and Dezire rule the charts on diesel sales of sedans, followed by the verna. Its the Linea that is falling behind(even though a great product).
In the petrol segment, the city is the leader, SX4 following it. The fiesta is a great buy as per the ratings and user experiences, but suffers in sales due to the support. All goes to say, the product overall+sales and support is what makes a winner(in sales and with customers!)
If we could have a similar one for hatchbacks from 5-8lacs, will be a hugely followed thread
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 23:44   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post

Is anyone working on a 0-1 scale based ranking?
Well, I am kind of working on it. I have explained a "normalized rating system" earlier in this thread, and this takes care of both normalization within the category as well as compounding effects across categories.

I am waiting for Smartcat to post the Excel sheet with all data and then I will compute rankings based on my system and publish it here.

In fact, I have lot more statistical analysis planned on this (much more than what I explained in my post earlier), and I will try to publish here as much as possible.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 23:59   #195
BHPian

@ mkh : we already have that . Just search for the thread.
Smartcat made that before he took to ranking sedans.
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote