Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th May 2010, 22:34   #226
BHPian

Practicality rankings:
Each ranking is normalized, the normalized totals are taken and further normalized. This results in a lot of differences from the quantitative rank

The Indigo XL takes a big step up because of its rear seat comfort (the 3 roomy categories) displacing the Marina. The City, which was equal to Indigo XL in quantitative finds itself at 35% down in the normalized ranking.

Further down, the Linea nosedives 5 spots because of all low and below average numbers.

For some reason, I think the max+min legroom should be combined, but I have kept it as is.
Attached Thumbnails
Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-carnor5.png  

echo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:44   #227
BHPian

Normalized Features. Ranking here is same as quantitative.
Attached Thumbnails
Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-carnor6.png  

Old 29th May 2010, 23:55   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Neat echo77. I see some major differences in your ranking already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Really looking forward to the SUV analysis. I am on the lookout for a SUV which I can use on rural roads etc. Considering from Bolero to Scorpio to Fortuner to Outlander. I hope you will cover all these in your analysis.
I intend to consider UVs/MPVs/MUVs in the rankings too. But I'm not quite sure if my UV analysis can help find out if the Outlander can take on rural roads

Hey take a look at Nissan X-Trail too if you don't mind its looks - I see quite a few of them in Bangalore. Although dealership network is not that good, you have atleast one dealership in all the major states. And with the launch of Nissan Micra, the number of dealerships will only increase - so this won't be a major factor after a couple of years.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 00:04   #229
BHPian

I am wondering if the features should be separately normalized like the practicality points considered. What do you think?
Old 30th May 2010, 07:24   #230
Senior - BHPian

Echo - great. Someone mentioned spare part cost and ofcourse, the 1 year resale (as gotten from carwale). If you can add that too, and publish the final ranking - that would be fantastic!

And yes, do not forget to upload your xls.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 20:11   #231
BHPian

Normalized Safety. This would be different from smartcat's ranking because I considered braking distance normalized as an equal measure to all other points (Seatbelts, Airbags, ABS, EBD) combined, whereas smartcat had given equal weightage to each point.

This brings the Octavia Petrol up because of its pretty short braking distance - 30% more than it's nearest rival, and drops the Logan down a few spots because of its long braking distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-carnor7.png  

Old 30th May 2010, 20:38   #232
BHPian

The Final Rankings.

The normalized percentile system brings out the difference between quantitative, where cars were given points with a difference of just 1 point, no matter how much the actual difference in feature was.

The percentile ranking attempts at a ranking where the difference in car features are given measured comparative points based on the actual difference in feature.

You will notice several differences.
The Manza and Linea diesels score and push the Optra 2.0D down. The DZire moving 3 spots up also means the national engine, Fiat's 1.3 holds 3 of the top 4, with a different class engine in the Optra (2000cc) getting the 3rd spot.

Honda City is vindicated as the best petrol, with not much difference in percentile from the 2nd spot. The Cedia is next best in 7th, as it slips down on the cost factor - OTR and running costs.

Huge jumps:
Indigo XL Diesel 21 -> 9. This is mainly because of its huge lead in practicality - 25% and 35% better than #2 Marina and #3 City.

Huge drops:
Marina Petrol 10 -> 17
Logan Petrol 17 -> 22

Big jumps:
Linea MJD 5 -> 2
DZire Diesel 7 -> 4
Octavia Petrol 15 -> 11
Verna Petrol 18 -> 15

Big drops:
Cedia 3 -> 7
SX4 9 -> 12
Logan Diesel 11 -> 14
Indigo CS Dicor Diesel 13 -> 16
Ikon Diesel 16 -> 19

The spreadsheet is attached for those who wish to add or manipulate further.

If anyone notices mistakes, please correct them and repost the spreadsheet. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-carnorf.png  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx sedans.xlsx (80.3 KB, 368 views)
Old 30th May 2010, 20:50   #233
BHPian

Normalized Categories:

GOOD:

100 level - Manza 1.3D
Lonely at the top. Very affordable and VFM. Only if you can live with the looks of the "Indica with a boot"

90 level - Linea 1.3D, Optra 2.0D, DZire 1.3D, City 1.5
All are extremely good choices. The Linea, Optra and City look like real sedans, whereas the DZire would look great if there was no Swift.

ABOVE AVERAGE:

75 level - Verna 1.5D, Cedia 2.0, Fiesta 1.6

65-70 level - Indigo XL 1.4D, Indigo XL 1.4, Octavia 1.8, SX4 1.6, Fiesta 1.4D

60 level - Logan 1.5D, Verna 1.6, Indigo CS 1.4D, Marina 1.4, Linea 1.4

AVERAGE:

50 level - Ikon 1.4D, Aveo 1.4, Optra 1.6,

BELOW AVERAGE:

40 level - Logan 1.6, Marina 1.4D

OUTCLASSED:

30 level - Accent 1.5

10 level - Ikon 1.3

0 level - Lancer 2.0D

Last edited by echo77 : 30th May 2010 at 20:51.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:18   #234
BHPian

Default Additional info on Manza safety features

+1 to this thread. What an analysis! I can't imagine how much help this kind of information is for new car buyers. Thanks for all your efforts.

Tough the results are already in favor of Manza, I just wanted to add that I think Manza ABS equipped models have EBD as well. Specifications list on Manza website says only ABS but when you look into features option, it mentions EBD as well. Please see the attached pic. This is also what I was told when buying the car. Hope this helps prospective manza buyers.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (977.5 KB, 223 views)
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:14   #235
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

echo neat job, great analysis.

smartcar yep your data and overall methods with echo's normallization tweak at the end makes this a very worthwhile and believable effort.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:23   #236
BHPian

Default Including the commercial aspects

Echo77,

Great job. just noticed some minor linking errors in your excel and resolved them. In addition to your analysis, i also included two new columns under "commercial aspects"

1. Value Retention at 2 Years and 25000 Km (Taken from Carwale, and from dealers where data is not available)
2. Sales of each car (I have considered the sales for Q1 2010 at a modelwise level. I have taken this from an excel in one of the TBHP Forums. There is no data at trim level )

Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-sales-commercial.jpg
sedans-with commercial aspects.xlsx

Due to structural issues related to the data used in the analysis of "commercial aspects" - i would recommend you look at the results from the an academic perspective only.

Last edited by acidkill : 31st May 2010 at 15:25.
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:52   #237
BHPian

Thanks, everyone.

acidkill - I had a feeling that a few errors may have come up when I was sorting/unsorting to create the screen print, and at the same time maintaining a A-Z sort on Car name for proper linking of the columns across sheets.

interesting to note the changes based on using commercial aspect instead of OTR price.

For an individual, I think resale price should be at 5-6 years instead of 2 years... some cars depreciate fast in the first 2 years but it is gradual after 5-6. Also, very few would rotate their cars every 2 years. I expect to keep mine for 5-6 years at least.

Also, acidkill, I think you may be interested in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...et-sedans.html

Attaching the TCO spreadsheet here as well because it relates a lot to this thread, so there is no need of keeping 2 threads separately. (Mods - you may merge Vehicle TCO thread with this thread)
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx cartco.xlsx (29.3 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by echo77 : 31st May 2010 at 16:01.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:24   #238
BHPian

The problem with 5 year analysis of TCO at this stage is that we have so many new models that were not available 5 years ago. Hence a retention value analysis in that scenario would require the use of surrogate values of another car. (Hypothetical example : Pegging the estimated depreciation of tata manza to that of the ford fiesta)

You will probably agree that the eventual results of a surrogate analysis would not make too much practical sense. Instead i thought it would be better to assume that the depreciation would atleast progress at the same "relative pace" from 2 years to 5 years
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 19:50   #239
BHPian

Smartcat, echo77:
Superlative effort. Valuable inputs from Dr AD.
Was wondering if A.S.S. shouldn't be a part of the process? It will boost up some cars and push down some. Resale also may be considered for a company if the model is new with some benefit of doubt but resale is closely linked with company's image usually too so won't deviate much. For example, resale would take the Cedia down and the City up. while A.S.S. would take Maruti vehicles up etc. After all, these are major considerations when buying a car.
Great work.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 31st May 2010 at 19:52.
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 21:42   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Was wondering if A.S.S. shouldn't be a part of the process? It will boost up some cars and push down some. Resale also may be considered for a company if the model is new with some benefit of doubt but resale is closely linked with company's image usually too so won't deviate much. For example, resale would take the Cedia down and the City up. while A.S.S. would take Maruti vehicles up etc. After all, these are major considerations when buying a car.
The excel sheet can take the buyer's subjective input on A.S.S., brand image etc. May be buyer can rate these on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being lowest and 10 being highest.

For example, if the buyer feels that Skoda's A.S.S. is quite good, he can peg it at 10.

The final ranking can take these too into consideration, along with the quantitative/objective stats.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote