Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th August 2010, 13:49   #286
BHPian

Including Vento specs and performance will make this excel interesting. Although we may have wait for some time till Vento actually comes on road and and starts performing.
RemingtonSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 18:47   #287
BHPian

All the spreadsheet dudes have either bought or finalized their car by now. It is time for someone else to take over and add/update the figures.

All necessary excel files to start with are available as attachments in this thread.
echo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 19:22   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
All the spreadsheet dudes have either bought or finalized their car by now.
Hahaha ;-)) Are you referring to me as well in this?

Anyway, I am still interested in doing this analysis with Vento although I have already bought a car (isn't it funny that I bought a car that appears nowhere near the top of any of the sheets ). Unfortunately, any such analysis takes too much time and at least in next 2-3 weeks I am terribly short on time to do any analysis.

As you suggested, it will be great if someone takes this forward using all the sheets already attached to this message.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 20:10   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Hahaha ;-)) Are you referring to me as well in this?
Yes. You are Dr.Dude

I think I've had enough number crunching for the next few years. Now looking forward to get some time to post my own experiences and reviews etc.
Old 5th November 2010, 23:16   #290
BHPian

Default Awesome

I lost this thread somewhere in the ether and the other stories that kept me occupied on TBHP through these months.

I finally managed to track down the spreadsheet files, though Dr.AD never attached his, and hope to add somethings to them.

I was reminded about one such similar file that I started in my Auto Folder comparing cars in Calc (no excel for me!). I think I have zeroed in on a car and it wins outright in my analysis (which is like a TCO) but alas there are no reviews! And no test drives available either (but that is a story for a different thread on a different sub-forum!)

Thanks a ton (or should it be kiloliter of your favourite fuel?) to Smartcat, Echo and Dr.AD.

Oh, the car on my radar? SX4 CNG (it was good to see that SX4 does not do badly in the list, if you take out all the Diesels then it is on top! Besides the DrAD owns one too!) But honestly, my heart wants the Linea!
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 22:00   #291
BHPian

Excellent thread!
Now that parameters for academic data have been settled, any new car launched can be added and the list refreshed.

Would wait to see Linea T-jet's ranking in this!

Last edited by breezydrive : 8th November 2010 at 22:04.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 21:31   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Oh, the car on my radar? SX4 CNG (it was good to see that SX4 does not do badly in the list, if you take out all the Diesels then it is on top! Besides the DrAD owns one too!)
SX4 is a good choice. Is any data (similar to that used in this thread) available for SX4 CNG? One of the reasons SX4 did not come at the top of the results (it did well, but was never at the very top) was the poor numbers for in-gear accelerations, which resulted into poor score under "drivability" category. I wonder how SX4 CNG does here (although it is unlikely to be better here anyway). SX4 CNG would certainly score much better in "running cost" category.

By the way now that I am driving SX4 for more than 3 months, I never felt any problem with drivability. So this data must always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Quote:
But honestly, my heart wants the Linea!
I can totally relate to this. My heart always wanted a Linea, and even now (i.e. after I bought the SX4), it still wants Linea T-jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Excellent thread!
Now that parameters for academic data have been settled, any new car launched can be added and the list refreshed.

Would wait to see Linea T-jet's ranking in this!
Yup, it would be interesting to see updated rankings with Linea T-jet and Vento (both petrol and diesel) added. However, I am too lazy (and yet too busy, if that can be possible) to do any additional work on this.
Old 29th November 2010, 04:10   #293
BHPian

Quote:

Solution:

As I had mentioned in my first post (post # 48) on this thread, the ideal way to compound the scores is to use some sort of "area methods". For example, one could represent the scores for each car as a polygon where each axis of the polygon corresponds to each category. The area methods combine the best properties of multiplication methods and addition methods, and will give more fair results. They are also free of the drawbacks mentioned above. Unfortunately, we will keep moving further and further away from the KISS principle. Anyway, as and when I get enough time to work on this, I will surely work on the area methods and let us see what happens then.
Hi Dr.AD,

I am attempting a small car/hatchback ranking on this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2155700 (Small Car Ranking Guidance)) where I have used deviations from medians for each parameter to score cars.
While looking for possibly better methodology I came across this thread (which again was Smartcat's idea!) and your post on finally compounding using a polygon. Correct me if I am wrong but do you mean an Area-under-curve of a radar chart? In that case the sum of areas of each individual triangle of that polygon would depend on the order of the parameters also imho. That seems fair as all cars will be ranked in the same order but intuitively it just didn't seem right.
Would like to know your advise/suggestions (or anyone else's for that matter).
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 12:00   #294
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Archon - Fact will only work for the initial bit, but finally it is about a lot of intangibles and gauging the pulse of the nation.

Looks, Features that work, Reliability, Service perceptions, Resale perceptions, etc influence a buyer a lot more than the tangible factors.

A look at how Toyota and Honda manage to win gives an insite into this intangibles, or why the Linea/ Punto / Logan don't set the sales chart on fire, why the Wagon R and Alto rule while the Nano is not yet there.

Dr AD, Smartcat and Echo have done a lot in these threads, it is good to see a new person take on the mantle.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 20:07   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Hi Dr.AD,

I am attempting a small car/hatchback ranking on this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2155700 (Small Car Ranking Guidance)) where I have used deviations from medians for each parameter to score cars.
Very good effort. I will give more detailed comments on your work on that thread.

Quote:
While looking for possibly better methodology I came across this thread (which again was Smartcat's idea!) and your post on finally compounding using a polygon. Correct me if I am wrong but do you mean an Area-under-curve of a radar chart? In that case the sum of areas of each individual triangle of that polygon would depend on the order of the parameters also imho. That seems fair as all cars will be ranked in the same order but intuitively it just didn't seem right.
Would like to know your advise/suggestions (or anyone else's for that matter).
Yes, you understood it right. I meant the area under the curve for a radar chart. And yes, as you correctly pointed it out, the ordering of the parameters matters. But again, as you yourself answered it, as long as same ordering is used for all cars, this issue is not a big deal. But intuitively this does not make great sense. So maybe there is a better method of compounding the score that is both intuitive and fair. Overall, I think your current work is quite nice and you can keep it as it is and forget about any compounded scores.

Honestly, I am tired of thinking about these stats. As ACM correctly pointed out, eventually a lot of intangibles decide the deal, and in my own case, I ended up buying a car that did not necessarily top the tables here.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 29th November 2010 at 20:20.
Old 29th November 2010, 20:51   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Archon - Fact will only work for the initial bit, but finally it is about a lot of intangibles and gauging the pulse of the nation.

Looks, Features that work, Reliability, Service perceptions, Resale perceptions, etc influence a buyer a lot more than the tangible factors.

A look at how Toyota and Honda manage to win gives an insite into this intangibles, or why the Linea/ Punto / Logan don't set the sales chart on fire, why the Wagon R and Alto rule while the Nano is not yet there.

Dr AD, Smartcat and Echo have done a lot in these threads, it is good to see a new person take on the mantle.
Thanks. I personally believe the rankings are only a guidance for a person to shortlist vehicles to TD and check out all those factors you talked about. Confession: I do have an ambition of somehow incorporating those also though somehow into the rankings!

Quote:

Honestly, I am tired of thinking about these stats. As ACM correctly pointed out, eventually a lot of intangibles decide the deal, and in my own case, I ended up buying a car that did not necessarily top the tables here.
I can imagine. I guess I would get tired too once I've made my purchase
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 23:33   #297
BHPian

Time to add ETIOS in the picture!
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 15:54   #298
BHPian

Default Re: Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking

A very good analysis. These are threads that make TBHp a one stop repository for useful info.
With change in price of some cars the whole dynamics have changed. Optra makes much more sense after recent price reduction. Now Linea T-jet and VW Vento have also come into the picture. Optra has become a better value but is it going to continue? I wish there was a way to include that in excel.
Highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 01:02   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Everybody, I have been fine-tuning my ranking system and am actually using a similar methodology to rank all the listed stocks in the stock market! I have bought a domain name, hired a programmer and within a year, I intend to have my website ready.

Anyhoo, coming back to cars, I now present Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - Quantitative Ranking (Year 2011)

The following new cars have been added to our ranking table -

Fiat Linea T-Jet Plus 1.4 Petrol
Maruti Suzuki SX4 1.3 Diesel
Maruti Suzuki DZire 1.2 Petrol
Toyota Etios 1.5 Petrol
Volkswagen Vento 1.6 Petrol
Vokswagen Vento 1.6 Diesel
Tata Manza 1.4 Petrol

Also, the following cars have been removed from our old ranking table - these cars are either no longer on sale or sell in tiny numbers.

Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 Diesel
Skoda Octavia 1.8 Petrol
Ford Ikon 1.4 Diesel
Ford Ikon 1.3 Petrol
Tata Indigo XL 1.4 Petrol
Tata Marina 1.4 Petrol
Tata Marina 1.4 Diesel

The 2011 Sedan Under Rs. 12 Lacs List:

Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 LT Petrol
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 LT Petrol
Chevrolet Optra 2.0 TDCi LT Diesel
Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion Pack Petrol
Fiat Linea 1.4 T-Jet Plus Petrol
Fiat Linea 1.3 Emotion Pack Diesel
Ford Fiesta 1.6 S Petrol
Ford Fiesta 1.4 SXi Diesel
Honda City 1.5 V Petrol
Hyundai Accent 1.5 Executive Petrol
Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX Petrol
Hyundai Verna 1.5 SX Diesel
Mahindra Logan 1.6 GLX Petrol
Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLSX Diesel
Maruti Dzire 1.3 ZDi Diesel
Maruti DZire 1.2 ZXi Petrol
Maruti SX4 1.6 ZXi Petrol
Maruti SX4 1.3 ZDi Diesel
Mitsubishi Cedia 2.0 Petrol
Tata Manza 1.3 Quadrajet Elan Diesel
Tata Manza 1.4 Safire Elan Petrol
Tata Indigo CS 1.4 LX Diesel
Tata Indigo XL Classic 1.4 Diesel
Toyota Etios VX EF 1.5 Petrol
Volkswagen Vento 1.6 Highline Petrol
Volkwagen Vento 1.6 Highline Diesel

I will be making a few minor changes in the way the cars are ranked this time, which I will explain as we go along.
smartcat is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 02:04   #300
BHPian

Uh oh... here we go again

Nice, smartcat! Looking forward to reading your findings!

Would adding the automatics in the range (City, Vento, Verna) be any helpful?

Last edited by echo77 : 23rd April 2011 at 02:06.