Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th August 2008, 14:19   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But there, we are talking about a car manufacturer (however small) versus a one-off job by an individual. Isn't there a difference in procedures, approval & certification?
I think you are right GTO. I once wanted to fabricate a trailer for my vintage cars. When I enquired with the RTA they said unless its made by a registered body manufacturer approving it would not be possible. Further here in Hyderabad we have a genius fabricator called Sudhaker who has fabricated a couple of dozen cars in the most unimaginable shapes and even has a museum. The RTA has clearly rejected allowing him to register any of them

Now its a different story what with all the contraband superbikes being reassembled in India after being imported as parts in knocked down condition and circulating all over the country with fake registrations. That purely is illegal but several hundred bikes exist so in India.

Last edited by DKG : 7th August 2008 at 14:21.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 15:24   #32
BHPian

Saw a caterham a couple of weeks ago at banaswadi. Any of the bangalore boys have more details on this. The car is was damn low that he could go right underneath a truck and come out unscathed.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 15:46   #33
BHPian

Veyron1 : are you sure these are road legal.
AFAIK they are not.

to add to the questions being asked: may i know the procedure for registering such a car or the kind of job mr chabria does?

I know atleast DC cars are road legal coz they involve only cosmetic changes. So it is essentially the same car with a different body and interiors.
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 18:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
But there, we are talking about a car manufacturer (however small) versus a one-off job by an individual. Isn't there a difference in procedures, approval & certification?
Hm. To be honest, I've never ventured that deep, because AFAIK, only volume manufacturers are required to undergo homologation and crash worthiness from ARAI. One-off makes and modifiers like DC can endorse the R/C's with listed modifications. Technically, you can't even change your car's colour unless RTO approved. But RTO approval only takes time and a bit of money...

And for registering a new car, well...IIRC, registering a custom chassis and engine number requires the registerer to be a certified manufacturer....a whole different load of paperwork...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 10:18   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
DC can endorse the R/C's with listed modifications. Technically, you can't even change your car's colour unless RTO approved. But RTO approval only takes time and a bit of money...
This refers to modifying an *existing* car. The question was related to registering an entirely new car? Modifying a car that has already been registered is surely a simpler task.

Quote:
And for registering a new car, well...IIRC, registering a custom chassis and engine number requires the registerer to be a certified manufacturer....a whole different load of paperwork...
Exactly my point. The query poster didn't seem to be a certified manufacturer, more an enthusiast who wanted to build his own car. The only way out, as I see it, is to buy a Standard Herald or Contessa Classic (which has an existing registration) and use that as a base to build your car.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2008 at 10:26.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 15:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
From the pictures it looks more like a Caterham kit assembled. If this wasn't a kit car why did the guy copy a Caterham??? I wouldn't have put in so much effort to design/build a car from scratch and have it look identical to a off the shelf kit car you can buy from the UK.

Should the creator ever consider doing this as a business he'd get into legal issues with Caterham for copying their design.
DKG it is not a Caterham kit it has been built here and it was Rizwan's dream to build a Lotus 7 from childhood. He finally did put it together to specs from the actual car. Rizwan and myself are diaper buddies and stay in the Same Building. Both the cars were Painted at my place and alot of hardwork has gone into the build by Rizwan. I dont think he knows the thread has been restarted, will inform him so that he could answer everyones Quiries.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 16:50   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
DKG it is not a Caterham kit it has been built here and it was Rizwan's dream to build a Lotus 7 from childhood.
From the pictures he seems to have achieved his dream. Great work. Just that Caterham won't be too happy if this is not a one off
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 19:26   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rizwan and myself are diaper buddies and stay in the Same Building. Both the cars were Painted at my place and alot of hardwork has gone into the build by Rizwan.
Chap seems to have good taste in cars. I remember him driving a tastefully modded (mildly) grey Zen. Yellow spoiler (fabricated from a Padmini windshield cap!!) with great alloys & fogs.
Old 9th August 2008, 12:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
From the pictures he seems to have achieved his dream. Great work. Just that Caterham won't be too happy if this is not a one off
there are only two built one for himself and the other for a friend who co partnered the effort. one blue and the other green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Chap seems to have good taste in cars. I remember him driving a tastefully modded (mildly) grey Zen. Yellow spoiler (fabricated from a Padmini windshield cap!!) with great alloys & fogs.
Yes GTO that car was replaced by a swift. He also has a Cedia with an Evo bonette and spoiler. looks very nice in royal blue and nice alloys to compliment it. simple yet stunning.

i have passed on the message to Rizwan and hopefully he shall look up the thread and answer everyone quiries.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 12:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG it is not a Caterham kit it has been built here and it was Rizwan's dream to build a Lotus 7 from childhood. He finally did put it together to specs from the actual car. Rizwan and myself are diaper buddies and stay in the Same Building. Both the cars were Painted at my place and alot of hardwork has gone into the build by Rizwan. I dont think he knows the thread has been restarted, will inform him so that he could answer everyones Quiries.
Has he registered them or just use it at nights, and at speed runs?
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 13:10   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
there are only two built one for himself and the other for a friend who co partnered the effort. one blue and the other green.
Speedy, were they not planning to start custom production of that car? I distinctly remember hearing about their business plans.
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:37   #42
BHPian

Default Follow Up

Hey Guys,
Itís been over 3 years (March 2005) since we kick started the project and we have 2 prototypes running around occasionally which we use as test mules for overseeing build quality and reliability issues. So far besides the squeaks from the fiber glass panels and usage of un-standardized lock nuts on the first car there doesnít seem to be too much else going wrong. We anyways have decided to reduce the usage of the former and stick to Aluminum panels as far as possible except the areas that require compound curves, if and when limited production does begin.
I guess time has taught us what we did wrong the first time and how to get it right the next time around, though I believe the learning curve will never end.
Looking at it in retrospect, building the car was the easy part. Registration for future production models seems to be next to impossible. In late September this year, my friend Vivek and I made a trip down to ARAI in Pune, before which all details about the car had been forwarded to them. After receiving a warm greeting and being offered tea the saga began to unfold. The guys there are clueless about a vehicle simply described as a 2 seater open top roadster. The body style will never be approved as it doesnít fit anywhere in the standards set by the Motor Vehicles Act and the government will never make amendments to it and push the growth of an industry related to kit cars. A certain gentleman from the ARAI even went forth to say that if we would like to have the car approved we should make it look more like and Indica or I10. Frustrating but hilarious at the same time. So getting approval is out of the question.
The big question that we now face is how to take this further. Internally we have been listing a host of options available to us, but your suggestions are more than welcome. Criticism too. As far as Caterham is concerned, they have more to be worried about every Kit Car manufacturer in the world selling similarly styled cars at half their price. There are over a 150 kit car manufacturers selling Lotus 7 type replicas albeit under different names.
Why I chose to copy an existing design? Well since it was my first foray into un known territory at the time, it seemed like the most sensible thing to do besides following the legendary principle of the original Lotus 7ís, ĎLess is Moreí and also being more cost effective.
So thatís a wrap for now. Looking forward to your comments and inputs.
Cheers guys
Riz

Check this link out, itís a small video we made on the making of the first prototype,
riziali is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate the fantabolous effort. However you are born in the wrong country to be appreciated or having this car to be road legal. Its pathetic, but unfortunately the reality we live in!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:00   #44
BHPian

Dude, what happen to the video and images. I dont see it. Is it still working.

"ARAI not heard about two seater open top???" . No way man, these guys have test facilities for buss and car crashes.

ARAI is that bad?
ritz830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 21:11   #45
BHPian

hey thanks for the nice words guys. A car with no doors and no roof with wheels sticking out does not fit into the realm of a 2 seater roadster as far as ARAI is concerned :-)
riziali is offline   Reply With Quote