Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th May 2010, 19:01   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
I don't quite agree here.Even after the failed JVs,their move to enter the Indian market alone with new strategies chalked out speaks a lot about their seriousness in our market. Under the circumstances,that's the best move this side of quitting. The Fluence and the Koleos look promising.With some aggressive marketing and pricing/ high localization,they deserve a good response.
Any guess on prices for Fluence and Koleos?? Well they are well above current benchmarks in their respective segments.

I read somewhere in auto magazine that Fluence is updwards of 10 lakhs..with this kind of pricing (Im not sure if it was CBU price) and bad reputation I dont know how will Renault fare.
maverickxx2006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Any guess on prices for Fluence and Koleos?? Well they are well above current benchmarks in their respective segments.

I read somewhere in auto magazine that Fluence is updwards of 10 lakhs..with this kind of pricing (Im not sure if it was CBU price) and bad reputation I dont know how will Renault fare.
The Fluence will fight it out against the Civic/Corolla/Cruze.Prices likely to be in the region of 12 lakhs.(Obviously CKD).And the Koleos likely to cost north of 14 lakhs.Could be a CBU.

I don't think Renault has a bad reputation.In fact,they have had very little reputation in India so far,apart from the not-so-rosy JV with M&M.That's what they need to build from scratch.Let their products speak.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 00:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

In the consumers minds renault as of now is associated with the logan,which hasnt really done its brand image any good.So i think it will be quite a task for renault to re launch its self in the 15 lakh bracket,and create that premium image.The bottom to top approach is always difficult.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 13:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
Having committed a massive investment of more than Rs.5,000 crores in its Chennai plant,Renault seems to be serious about its Indian operations.
Yes, it won't be easy to gain a foothold in the competitive Indian market, but the company seems to have started on the right note.
lets see what products they launch here . as for small cars they might do well but for luxury segment their brand is not known here . hyundai did suffer the same
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:01   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The biggest problem with all these new entrants to the market is setting up dealership network.
Bingo! Few entrepreneurs are willing to invest Rs. 10 - 20 crore in a new car dealership, live with the slim margins and many headaches (it is a fiercely competitive + complicated business).

And that's precisely why I think it makes immense sense for Renault-Nissan to share dealerships. It's a win-win really...better for the brand (wider coverage, easier to control), for the dealers (two brands = higher turnover) and customers (two brands under the same roof). This is not ideal, but we have to be realistic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adlythegame View Post
any idea as to how much investment is needed for becoming a dealer of Renault?
Related thread (How much does it cost to set up a car dealership in India?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
As every other car maker entering the indian space, Renault also has to go through the learning curve.
Me thinks that Renault has already had quite the learning curve with the Logan disaster
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:31   #21
gou
BHPian

Many people have been talking about Renault having bad reputation because of Logan not doing well, JV turning sore, etc. But I have sat in Logan taxis a few times in Bangalore and also in Indigo and Dzire from similar/same operator and Logan is definitely better in terms of space, ride quality and probably on drivability too. Also I have spoken to few of the drivers and they mention that Logan is much better than Indigo in terms of maintenance and works out to their advantage.
gou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post
Many people have been talking about Renault having bad reputation because of Logan not doing well, JV turning sore, etc. But I have sat in Logan taxis a few times in Bangalore and also in Indigo and Dzire from similar/same operator and Logan is definitely better in terms of space, ride quality and probably on drivability too. Also I have spoken to few of the drivers and they mention that Logan is much better than Indigo in terms of maintenance and works out to their advantage.
logan is indeed a good car . backseat leg space is too good . nothing wrong with the product but reasons of failure are far different then those . any way as taxi it fits the purpose then anything in that segment !
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:51   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post
But I have sat in Logan taxis a few times in Bangalore and also in Indigo and Dzire from similar/same operator and Logan is definitely better in terms of space, ride quality and probably on drivability too.
Part of the problem, if you ask me. Renault = Taxis + Cheap + Basic trim level + outdated + market failure.

That's hardly the brand perception you want when your next car is going to cost 15 lakh rupees!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote