Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:58   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,625
Thanked: 1,877 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_242 View Post
I think by launching the Alto in the KB10 avtar, Maruti has accepted that the A Star is a failure, because I see the car cannibalizing directly the A Star in their stable.
Maruti maintains a 'multi model' policy in every car category. They introduce new models even when the existing model is a hit. Eg: Ritz in Swift category, Estilo in WR category, and now Alto K10 in A-Star category. And an Automatic A-Star is on the cards - means they have not yet given up!

Though A-Star sales is dull when Maruti's other models are considered, it still sells more than many others' 'bread-and-butter' models!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd July 2010 at 18:10.
romeomidhun is online now  
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:03   #182
SCH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Noida
Posts: 156
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

This new Alto would appeal to people who were missing the old ZEN. I guess this would become the best selling entry hatch for city driving.

If only they do a good job of the interiors and introduce seats like the New Wagon R.
SCH is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:45   #183
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
This new Alto would appeal to people who were missing the old ZEN. I guess this would become the best selling entry hatch for city driving.

If only they do a good job of the interiors and introduce seats like the New Wagon R.
True, 0 to 100 aside, the niceties need some thoughtful planning, all the best MS!

because target is not the Spark or issue is not cannibalising A Star or Estillo.

but this MS's grand plan to beat the world leaders small car plans in India for the next 2 years.
Johnn is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:49   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
HammerHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Goan in Pune
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I just don't understand the logic, if Maruti tries to fight with Spark, because, Spark sells just 3-4k monthly.
What do you think is the logic behind plonking 1ltr engine in anyways highest selling Alto?

Quote:
What Maruti should try to do is to prepare one product to compete with i10, as i10 sells 12K monthly. There I find the space for Suzuki Cervo, equipped with the following:
a) G-12 (from Eeco) priced between 3L and 3.5L (to compete with i10 1.1)
b) K-12 engine priced between 3.5L and 4.2L (to compete with i10 1.2)

These 2 excellent engines have the capacity to fight any hatch in India now, IMO.
Do you really think Cervo with 'L=3395mm;W=1475mm;H=1535mm' can take on i10 with 'L=3565mm;W=1595mm;H=1540mm' which AStar with 'L=3500mm;W=1600mm;H=1490mm' could not do?
HammerHead is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:30   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,625
Thanked: 1,877 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
What do you think is the logic behind plonking 1ltr engine in anyways highest selling Alto?
If Maruti persists with the current engine, you will say that Maruti is not giving latest engines. When they give something new as an option, now you say that there is no logic in plonking a new engine in a highest selling car. Stop the crap please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Do you really think Cervo with 'L=3395mm;W=1475mm;H=1535mm' can take on i10 with 'L=3565mm;W=1595mm;H=1540mm' which AStar with 'L=3500mm;W=1600mm;H=1490mm' could not do?
Ofcourse, I think. Its' not only the exterior dimensions that make or break the car. Otherwise i10 would have been a sure flop when compared to Swift, Punto and Ritz.

Though Cervo's exterior is smaller than i10, its interior space is good because of the smaller engine bay. Moreover, Cervo is 100 times a good looker compared to i10, IMO. Add to this, the fact that i10 is over-priced, Cervo will sure be a hit, I think.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd July 2010 at 19:34.
romeomidhun is online now  
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:07   #186
BHPian
 
coldice4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 156
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

MS does not care if its snatching sales from the Spark,the Beat or heck even the I20 as long as its cars sell. Spark might be selling only 3-4k a month but MS will be more than happy if even half of those comes to the K10 Alto. MS really has nothing to lose. It already has the engines, minor changes to the car inside and out. Besides it can always pull parts out of the phased out VX1.1 bin.
Spark has been doing relatively well not only because its a nice car but also because of lack of decent VFM options at that price point.

@romeo
The servo defi6nitely cant compete with the i10 with those dime6nsions. Going by your logic for the Cervo, the A* should have successfully competed against the i10 which has not happened.

Last edited by coldice4u : 23rd July 2010 at 20:13.
coldice4u is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:12   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_242 View Post
I think by launching the Alto in the KB10 avtar, Maruti has accepted that the A Star is a failure, because I see the car cannibalizing directly the A Star in their stable.
They are resigned to the sales number of "mere" 3000 odd per month, a flop by their standards, but something to crow about for other companies! They may focus on the export numbers of the A* and be content with whatever it will chalk up at home. They may believe the Alto will more than make up for it.
Gansan is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:13   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
HammerHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Goan in Pune
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If Maruti persists with the current engine, you will say that Maruti is not giving latest engines. When they give something new as an option, now you say that there is no logic in plonking a new engine in a highest selling car. Stop the crap please.
I never said 'Maruti is not giving latest engines', neither I said 'there is no logic in plonking a new engine in a highest selling car'!!! Like someone said in earlier post, with 1ltr engine Maruti is trying to direct it to Spark, I too see that as a reason.

What crap you are talking about when you yourself don't have any answer to the 'logic' of plonking 1ltr engine in highest selling Alto?

Quote:
Ofcourse, I think. Its' not only the exterior dimensions that make or break the car. Otherwise i10 would have been a sure flop when compared to Swift, Punto and Ritz.
Sure, dimensions do not always make or break the car, but lower exterior dimensions definitely translate to less interior space.

Quote:
Though Cervo's exterior is smaller than i10, its interior space is good because of the smaller engine bay. Moreover, Cervo is 100 times a good looker compared to i10, IMO. Add to this, the fact that i10 is over-priced, Cervo will sure be a hit, I think.
There is a reason why Suzuki had introduced Servo with 658cc engine. The new Alto could not accommodate K10B and they had to increase overall size/length of the engine bay though by looks of it, its engine bay is bigger then that of Cervo.

Last edited by HammerHead : 23rd July 2010 at 20:14.
HammerHead is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:16   #189
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Ofcourse, I think. Its' not only the exterior dimensions that make or break the car. Otherwise i10 would have been a sure flop when compared to Swift, Punto and Ritz.

Though Cervo's exterior is smaller than i10, its interior space is good because of the smaller engine bay. Moreover, Cervo is 100 times a good looker compared to i10, IMO. Add to this, the fact that i10 is over-priced, Cervo will sure be a hit, I think.
Hyundai's i10 was a runaway hit solely because when it was launched no manufacturer (including Suzuki) had any products competing against it. It had great looking interior/exterior design and being a tall boy, it gave the customer a more airy feeling and easier ingress/egress compared to the Swift. The Ritz is the Suzuki product which is aimed at i10 buyers and it is doing a pretty good job at that. Had Suzuki wasted less time loitering around and launched the Ritz earlier, the i10 story would have been very different.

As HammerHead pointed out, the Cervo is a small car which is only as wide as the Alto, the only car it can replace in the MSIL line-up is the Zen-Estilo.Also the Cervo's front end will have to be elongated to for the K-series engine to fit in , so you end up with a totally different looking car.

The Alto K10 is launched primarily to attract the customers who turn to Spark/Santro because the Alto is underpowered.There is no doubt that the Alto K10 is going to garner more sales for Suzuki.
harishnair is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:47   #190
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

The bottom line to all this CAR WAR is, finally customer wins!

All these years of Fiats and Ambys, with their wiring to be redone, and relatively sky high prices, the next 5 years will be luxury for the auto buff.

Autos are like real horses, without 90% of the strain!
Johnn is offline  
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:57   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,625
Thanked: 1,877 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Going by your logic for the Cervo, the A* should have successfully competed against the i10 which has not happened.
That's not my logic, but some one else's. What I said is "just the exterior size doesn't make or break a car". It is known that A-Star's exterior size has not really converted into rear leg space and boot space. But check Cervo's boot and rear space - it is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
What crap you are talking about when you yourself don't have any answer to the 'logic' of plonking 1ltr engine in highest selling Alto?
My point is clear - Maruti introduces Alto K10 as a second option in the A-Star category.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd July 2010 at 20:58.
romeomidhun is online now  
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:01   #192
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

The new Alto looks good from the front and as the rest have said the back is where the problem is. They needn't have touched the back at all. But with the K series engine, this is sure going to be one hot hatch maybe one of the fastest hatches in the B segment. The new Alto could help Maruti take the fight to Santro and to a certain extent the i10. Interesting time for the consumers as well as competition of Maruti

Last edited by nurni76 : 23rd July 2010 at 22:02.
nurni76 is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 10:17   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

I think MS will dig deep into the Vx 1.1 parts bin for the Alto K10. For starters the OVRM's are a straight lift from the Vx. The new 2 spoke steering wheel = AStar/WagonR steering wheel. This helps to reduce manufacturing costs. Let's wait and see where the instrument console comes from. The K10 would be a good alternative to the Spark but I don't think it would hit Santro sales much as Santro is a tall boy design hence has much more interior space than the Alto. However, for those looking for a pocket rocket with awesome FE, this should be you answer !
longhorn is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 11:37   #194
BHPian
 
rutwij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The 1litre K-series is infortunately a 3-cyl engine.

From where did you get the prices ? Also, I hope 2.4 is on-road.

While good to have, these would drive up the prices to next segment. I would rather they give the engine, good driveability, decent a/c and option for ABS and airbags. For those that drive with a/c always, the only times PW is used is at toll-gates or to ask for directions - no big deal. Defogger and rear-wash/wipe is useful though.
Oh i am sorry, i didn't read that it will be having a K-series engine
rutwij is offline  
Old 25th July 2010, 22:11   #195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 165
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The Ritz is the Suzuki product which is aimed at i10 buyers and it is doing a pretty good job at that. Had Suzuki wasted less time loitering around and launched the Ritz earlier, the i10 story would have been very different.
Was there any perceived drop in i10 numbers after ritz launch a year ago? I think over the past few months i10 numbers has gone up, while the k-series swift has had a negative impact on ritz petrol, the rtiz diesel was not a seller anyway. How is ritz 'doing a pretty good job' at attracting i10 customers?
cuboid is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield to make 1000cc monsters? TaurusAl Motorbikes 41 8th March 2012 18:24
'1000cc custom cruiser, project completed and pics uploaded" dustom_99 Superbikes & Imports 183 4th April 2011 09:18
Fiat to relaunch Uno with new engine, look adg_andy The Indian Car Scene 67 19th June 2010 07:57
Second gen Gypsy (1000cc) compression ratio & oil consumption question xxaarraa Technical Stuff 1 19th November 2007 21:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks