Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th May 2010, 19:11   #76
BHPian

Yes, it was a total chaos at Chennai event. May be there may not have been sufficient persons to handle. Many could not get the Fuel Coupons, including me. We had to be there in the hot, humid sun for over 3 hours. I could leave the place only after 2:00PM. The organisers were saying that they just allowed about 60 cars beyond 555 No.s. I am not sure how many were there actually. While I got the stickers for pasting over the car during the parade (My number was 273), many cars which came ahead of me were without the stickers (Stickers misplaced!).

Few shots taken with the mobile phone is attached herewith
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc00024.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc00019.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc00021.jpg  

batman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:19   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
+1
We just can not call this a scam because few people created rackus at the event and some people didin't like the overall level of management. For me, and hopefully all the people at NCR/ Delhi, it is a sure shot success and was well managed event. And as far as the question of the record goes, it has been created and i am sure we will hear plenty about it in the days to come.
It was the extremely mismanagement of event at Mumbai that created chaos. Looks like Gurgaon event was better managed. Believe me people did not created ruckus. It was the organizers who failed.
samdarshi.pali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 20:00   #78
BHPian

Its no scam - its plain lack of planning - period.
Venue was Madras Motor club race track. Went there at around 7:50AM - Even at that time some 200+ cars had arrived. My number is 220 which is pasted on the car. I was guided to the parking slot. I waited for 15 mins in the car - nothing. No one came - no guidance. Thankfully it was early morning not that hot. Breeze was there too.
Got down from the car and went to the crowded place. Breakfast was served there. There was a "Help" booth. Asked where registration is. I was told registration is outside in another counter. So went there and inquired the guys sitting there. There the registration is from 251 onwards only. I was told, below 250 registration will happen at track itself - again they themselves were not sure.
I saw a brown cover with number written on it. It started from 251 onwards.
Went back inside the breakfast area and had breakfast. At time of having breakfast, the guy from helpdesk was announcing that registration will happen in the car itself. Reps will arrive to the car and hence everyone should go back to car. After registration everyone can come back and have breakfast.
At that time, I almost completed - thank god I completed breakfast - I went back to car at around 8:15. No rep came till 11:30 . It was damn 3 hours. I really couldn't imagine any task related to this event that took 3 hours to start registration. Thank god, there was breeze and didn't feel the heat of Madras.

Then finally those guys came. While they registered adjacent line, I saw reps taking down registration number and giving adidas bag (welcome kit) and a small card form (with 3 parts) which needs to be filled and given to officials at the entrace of the track and while leaving the parade.
Also I saw JK tyre guys checking air pressure and talking to the owners - not sure what was the discussion about. I guess some canvassing
I saw some 4/5 reps - one just carrying those card forms, the other guy took the details and another girl was giving the bags (kit) - one more guy just was accompanying. I did not see the brown large cover that was meant for 250+ reg numbers though.
They just carried some 4/5 bags and everytime bags get over, the girl moved all the way to the registration counter and got another 4/5 bags. I was wondering why not take the entire pack of bag and place it at the start of the line atleast to avoid the delay. Or atleast the "empty" guy could have fetched 4/5 bags in parallel while the girl distributed it.
Finally my adjacent line cleared off and registration started in my line. Now only one guy with card forms was there just giving the card forms. I was wondering whatever happened to the welcome kit. I thought it was over. Just as the car before me left, I saw two guys taking the entire pack of bag and keeping at the start - Finally someone started thinking. I just asked the guy that bag is not given to this line. He apologized for that and gave a bag to me and to everyone beyond me. Some 10/15 guys before me left without bags.
But the take off is short. We just moved to be stopped at another queue. One guy was hurrying everyone to move once they got the forms. I saw many without closing the doors moving. Might be because of the hurry-up guy. Looked for him to ask him nicely - couldn't find him.
Meanwhile, some two or three from the parking area started shouting at one of the event guy. They were telling that around 50 cars are willing to leave and asked the event guy to tell them way to get out. They kept moving and couldn't hear them till the end.

I opened the bag and here are the contents:
1. A yellow colour tee with SWIFT written on it
2. Two black-yellow baseball caps
3. JK tyre box of tissue.
4. JK tyre tubeless tyre puncture kit - Atlast some useful stuff
5. A pen
6. A white sweat towel
Not sure if I missed something.

While in queue, they stick "S W I F T" (in black) sticker at the roof of the silver swift thats before me. They didn't stick any on my car coz its red. White sticker is what planned for "red" swifts. After 10/15 mins they let the cars in. I moved in and once reached the start of the race track - another bunch of guys stopped with stickers. I thought for "red"s here is where they stick the white stickers - Later when I checked it after reaching home - its black
After that we were in track at around 12:00 and we were like "wee...". First it was two lines - then it become three.
So far so good. After this it was all problems.
The cars were moving in three rows and slowed down now and then. Some guys were taking video and photographs and thought that might be the reason.
After crossing about 3/4th of the track, all cars come to stand still. It was moving really slow once in 10 mins. It was a wonderful sight to see serpentine of swifts on the tracks.
Now Mr. Sun started showing his power. Slowly people become restless and I saw some cars taking the rough on both the sides of track. I was like "Atleast for a day can't you wait in queue you idiots. You will only add up the delay".
Slowly it started moving and once reached the start of track, guys telling to move ahead for another round. Most of them were reluctant as Mr. Sun is at his full strength. The 45mins waiting itself had drained almost everyone. Still I went ahead thinking that it will end next round. I saw almost everyone doing the same. I saw a car exiting.
Why all cars were made to stand in scorching sun - no idea. The event guys at the beginning of the track did not know why the moving is delayed. For events such as this all possible points and plans should be ready and executed thoroughly. I see one decision guy making decisions as and when the events happen - and the guys executing them are at communication gap. I did not see any pre-instructions given to event guys - all having confused faces at questions asked by swifters.
Once again into the track, the cars were at full speed and once at 3/4th of the track, its all same again - long waiting started. Now the space is squeezed and 4 lanes of cars stand on the track. The heat played the spoil sport and it was really horrible. It would have been better had the event been held at evening.
Its already 13:00 and still another waited another 30 mins to reach the starting point. There another queue with two lanes - I know at some point it will become 1 line as the road leading to/from tracks is single lane. I saw some cars backing out and few cars turning towards the reverse of track. I asked an event guy and was told that there is an exit in reverse too.
Decided to take it as I was drained completely. Thought of skipping the certificate, fuel voucher and amusement park tickets. But guess what, there were few event guys distributing fuel voucher and amusement park tickets on way out. I asked for certificate - the guy said I will be contacted and most likely will be mailed to my address.
I came out at around 13:30 with all my energy completely lost which filled me rather than the beautiful sight of the parade. When I reached home and had lunch and once relaxed, the parade sights came back to me. It was wonderful to be part of the record.

PS: Saw this silver swift with MH registration with TBHP sticker. Couldn't talk to the TBHPian whoever it is.

Last edited by iamswift : 30th May 2010 at 20:12.
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 20:36   #79
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics which my bro took at the event. Heard that the event was badly organised.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  142.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  145.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  145.4 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  122.5 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by v12 : 30th May 2010 at 20:41.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 20:55   #80
BHPian

.. so did they break the record or just pissed of a whole lot loyal customers who came on a EARLY Sunday morning trusting Maruti Suzuki on the event??
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 21:32   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hope the title is changed. I came in to look at a real scam like no organizers, no vouchers and even assuming Maruti did not organize this at all !
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 21:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Has a new record been set?

Going by the description of the events in Chennai and Mumbai, it looks like people participated just for the goodies and nothing else.

Any photos from the events?
Here are few from the Chennai location:

At the parking lot - waiting for around 3 hours -
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-record-attempt-027.jpg

At the first gridlock -
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-record-attempt-058.jpg

At the start of the 2nd lap -
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-record-attempt-069.jpg

At the 2nd gridlock - waiting for over 2 hours here -
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-record-attempt-079.jpg
shubhox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:34   #83
BHPian

IMO it looks like the Delhi event was the main event that was organized well by Maruti personnel as eye candy to the Guiness Book of Records official, whereas the Mumbai and Chennai events were just to count cars. So people from Mumbai and Chennai were just used as numbers and not really cared for once the count crossed the record (total of all 3).
echo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:45   #84
BHPian

Sorry for you chennai and mumbai folks, Delhi scene was awesome. No problems at all to any one i believe. It was well organised i would say.

The event started at 7.30ish, By 8.45 there were 283 CARS (Thats when i entered) The parking was well marked with enough help from security. As we entered we were offered the Kit with all the goodies and stickers. A support staff came to paste the stickers and for registration. Refreshments and water was in plenty.

Around 10-10.30 we had around 380-400 cars. And then the parade started with 2 lanes of cars following each other,even we had a few moron's trying to overtake others but nevertheless over all it was well organised the roads were cordoned off well with security.

After the parade participants were given certificates,Fuel and movie vouchers a proper ceremony was concluded were the declaration of record was made and prizes were given to a few participants.

My overall experience remained satisfactory. It was crazy to see so many swifts at one place.
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:07   #85
kkg
BHPian

I agree with noidaboy. Atlast there is someone who agrees with me. Here are some of the pics of the event..
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01666-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01667-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01668-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01670-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01671-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01673-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01680-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01682-1600x1200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-dsc01679-1600x1200.jpg  

kkg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:09   #86
BHPian

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3205.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3188.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3191.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3193.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3196.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3197.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3198.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3199.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3200.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3201.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3204.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3207.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3221.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3222.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3223.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3210.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3239.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3243.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3274.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3266.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3280.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3281.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3291.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3292.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3283.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3285.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-_mg_3298.jpg  

Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-img_3304.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 30th May 2010, 23:25   #87
Senior - BHPian

IMO the delhi event was a success.!
As noidaboy mentioned we got our welcome kit as soon as we entered the venue ,there was proper parking space and the registration was done quickly.
Even the parade was well organized as 2 pilot cars headed the parade and except for 2-3 cars everybody else stuck to their lane.
Also got the fuel/movie vouchers+certificate easily.!

Mods - I believe the scam part should be removed from the title as a representative from Guinness was present at the event and she confirmed the record.
faithless_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:26   #88
BHPian

Default Another account of the Chennai event

Detailed accounts of the event at Chennai and the complete ineptitude with which it was organized has already been posted before. Suffice to say that I was part of the unlucky few who came back with no goodies. All in all a full day wasted. Never again am I going for any event like this.

Here are some pics that I took

Entering the venue at 9.00 AM
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-event-064.jpg

Waiting at the parking lot
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-event-070.jpg
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-event-072.jpg

Lined up for the parade. By the way, these were the first 100 odd cars. Any semblance of order was only upto this lot. Beyond this was free for all.
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-event-073.jpg
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-event-074.jpg

Took just one round of the race track in 5 minutes or so. Then the next 2 hours trying to leave the venue.
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-event-080.jpg

Oh and here is the smart one - the azure grey one on the right
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Swift trying to set a Guinness Record. Edit: Badly Organized. Details on Pg 4-swift-event-078.jpg  

gvivek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:47   #89
BHPian

The last picture shows the chaos. Delhi did not a have a wide enough road so people didnt have a choice..

In Delhi there were 342 cars to be precise, I think maruti has MADE a record not broken a record of the biggest parade of swift's
Old 31st May 2010, 01:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Mods - I believe the scam part should be removed from the title as a representative from Guinness was present at the event and she confirmed the record.
Well, there was no one from Guinness at the Mumbai event--nothing was announced. The route wasn't marked properly, no one collected the coupons that were supposed to be handed over at the end signifying the parade had been completed (and I'm NOT talking about the goodies coupon here).

Technically, I myself didn't complete it because they had closed the gates for almost everyone coming back (and I was only number 145). I had to reverse a few metres from the gate and park outside.

It would be a Guinness record only if the system to establish the record is properly followed and is audited by Guinness or their authorised representatives--in Mumbai it was complete chaos from the moment the parade actually started. So, on what basis has the record been established. No one knows how many cars actually completed the parade. And as mentioned before, when I checked the last cars entering the ground around 10-15 mins before the parade started the numbers were just in the 390s. The capacity of the ground was exhausted by then.

To me, this was no Guinness record attempt as Maruti has claimed. I went there not for the damn goodies but because I wanted to be part of a Guinness record and am a proud Swift owner for the past 4 years. And I know others who felt the same. My friend and neighbour, who's also a Swift owner, wanted to reach there by 7 am (we finally got there at 8), not because he wanted the early bird prize but because he was worried that since it was first-come-first-serve, he might miss being part of the record in case he got late.

And although we felt cheated that we didn't get the petrol voucher that Maruti promised for the trouble we took (and the petrol we burnt while keeping the car AC on in the summer heat), and we were disappointed with how we were treated, we didn't shout at anyone or abuse anyone. Things were so bad that women who are normally the calmer gender were abusing the organisers--people were just so upset! We just watched the tamasha for some time, hoping things would settle, but when things instead got worse, we handed over our coupons to the harried guy screaming that they would send the voucher by courier and walked out.

When you have people who've spent a valuable Sunday morning (and both of us work a 6-day week) because we love our Swifts and want to be part of a world record, and Maruti does a shoddy, absolutely pathetic job and didn't seem to care about any real record (WHERE were the Maruti officials--they left even before the event ended, WHY was the route not properly marked, WHERE were the pilots, WHY did they not ensure that everyone finished so the record could be properly established, WHY were there no security personnel when the parade was supposed to end--there were long lines of vehicles when we got in too; how come that was managed well with security men all around, etc, but not one was around when it ended? And it's not like I was last, I was number 145 for crying out loud!

When you consider all these things you have to conclude it was nothing BUT A SCAM! Maruti just wanted some cheap publicity and media coverage about a supposed Guinness record.

Well, publicity they will get--I'm a journalist and am going to write to fellow Editors and the Guinness organisation about this sham. Going to try my best to expose this lie by Maruti.

-Ivor

Last edited by ivor : 31st May 2010 at 01:18.
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote