Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th June 2010, 17:57   #301
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
What if the purse with the key is left-behind in the car itself? Generally, we carry keys in our pocket..so no question of leaving it behind.
Wow, this thread is getting really interesting with lots of questions and lots of worst case scenarios worked out. Hope Nissan gets all these feedbacks and works out a legible response for these kind of questions.

I have another scenario similar to your one:

What if I have the key in my pocket and I let my wife drop me somewhere and she leaves after dropping me
Then after say some 50 mtrs hissjkk... the car stops right in the middle of the main road as it is away from the key, normally its very difficult for one to realize why this is happening (as the engine keeps running) and one tends to get panicky.
Additionally, imagine this happening in a speeding highway.

Moreover I would be interested to know how come the engine would be still revving but the brakes would be on is it, what is the mechanism to stop the car? Can any users in UK or other market explain.

For Micra supporters, pl dont take these scenarios negatively, I am guessing any new technology would get thro these ifs and buts before it gets accepted. And probably becomes part of all the cars.

Last edited by xingamazon : 14th June 2010 at 18:05.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:04   #302
BHPian

What happens when suddenly the proximity sensor stops working (for whatever reason..like electonic failure/sensor blocked etc etc) while you are driving at full speed on the highway...???

I guess we are discussing without entire knowhow of how this works? Remember, Cruze/Manza has this keyless entry system though not the button start...

Any pointers from experts towards how exactly this stuff works, and what are the pitfalls?
Old 14th June 2010, 18:26   #303
BHPian

Did a bit of quick research. The engine start/stop button works only when the key fob is in a closer proximity (~3-5 feet) of the steering wheel. Locking/unlocking happens for a greater radius.

Ideally, if you forget to stop the engine and walk away, your engine should die after the key is beyond certain limit, atleast that's what I got from my brief 5 min read on Nissan intelligent keys.

Anyone with time, please elaborate.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:09   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
What if I have the key in my pocket and I let my wife drop me somewhere and she leaves after dropping me
Then after say some 50 mtrs hissjkk... the car stops right in the middle of the main road as it is away from the key, normally its very difficult for one to realize why this is happening (as the engine keeps running) and one tends to get panicky.
Additionally, imagine this happening in a speeding highway.

Moreover I would be interested to know how come the engine would be still revving but the brakes would be on is it, what is the mechanism to stop the car? Can any users in UK or other market explain.
The power steering and breaks would be jammed if the engine dies. Scaring isnt it. Of course Nissan must have done all the research. Its not a gizmo after all.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:14   #305
Senior - BHPian

Guys

The push button start is so common in luxury cars. They should have done their Usability, Security testing etc considering the different scenarios. I think it's a cool feature. So let's wait for some owners/reviewers to give their actual feedback before jumping the gun and move on to other important stuff about the car.

I hope this doesn't go on like the pages and pages of discussion on Figo not having rear power windows.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:25   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Guys

The push button start is so common in luxury cars. They should have done their Usability, Security testing etc considering the different scenarios. I think it's a cool feature. So let's wait for some owners/reviewers to give their actual feedback before jumping the gun and move on to other important stuff about the car.

I hope this doesn't go on like the pages and pages of discussion on Figo not having rear power windows.
Well, Nissan thinks this is the most important feature in the car!

The first print/tv ad I saw of micra was highlighting this feature! Don't remember seeing any other deal-clincher in the ad! If the co. sells this feature as uber-cool, what's the harm in a few pages of discussions?

Since TDs are not yet allowed, guess nothing much to discuss, anyways!

Last edited by sanjayc : 14th June 2010 at 19:28.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:37   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Well, Nissan thinks this is the most important feature in the car!

The first print/tv ad I saw of micra was highlighting this feature! Don't remember seeing any other deal-clincher in the ad! If the co. sells this feature as uber-cool, what's the harm in a few pages of discussions?

Since TDs are not yet allowed, guess nothing much to discuss, anyways!
My guess is that, Nissan thinks that this is the differentiating/unique feature of the car, similar to the Figo's 4 TVCs talking about the unique features of the car.

Will that alone sell the car? NO
Does that give the car a "uber-cool" image? DEF YES
Old 14th June 2010, 19:40   #308
Senior - BHPian

Like in normal remotes, what about the battery life of the sensor. What if the battery becomes weak or fails for some reason. There should be some other emergency mechanism to start the car if the sensor fails. Some expert views please.
I firmly believe the best place for a key to stay is the key hole not the pocket or purse.

Last edited by poloman : 14th June 2010 at 19:48.
Old 14th June 2010, 20:16   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The power steering and breaks would be jammed if the engine dies. Scaring isnt it. Of course Nissan must have done all the research. Its not a gizmo after all.
This is not (or should not be) so ---

Power steering: system reverts to manual.

Brakes: Work, but, without the servo assistance provided by the engine, you have to push the pedal a lot harder than normal.

You can steer and use your brakes with the engine off and somebody pushing.

Here's another thought: How does steering lock work on this car?
Quote:
I firmly believe the best place for a key to stay is the key hole not the pocket or purse.
I know that, if I get this car, there are going to be occasions of spending an hour searching every pocket of my clothes and every corner of the car --- because this happens in the house. Nearly cancelled a trip once, because my keys had gone missing, and I could not be sure I had not left them outside the house. They turned up inside one the suitcases

Another thing: if the door locks as we walk away from it, then we will never again be able to reassure ourselves that it is locked by trying it, because it will unlock as we walk back. Like trying to show that the light in the fridge actually does go off when the door is closed!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th June 2010 at 20:22. Reason: reply to poloman
Old 14th June 2010, 20:17   #310
BHPian

Okay..seems like the trick to this is that the fob needs to be inside the car for starting the engine, otherwise it won't start! If that's the case, lot of issues gets answered like someone else driving away the car while one is outside etc etc.

Also, seems like there are various checks & balances to ensure that the vehicle does not suddenly stop.

Personally, I will stay miles away from such gizmos..at least as far as starting/stopping a car is concerned...(won't mind it with TVs/Air-cons etc though - non-life-threatening stuff).

Would this be covered under warranty,esp, if installing parking sensors/ice etc? With such an integrated-stuff, how much it would cost to replace? Won't trust a.s.s much who become clueless on solving bluetooth issues, with this...anyways, all such electronic have to be replaced..very less chances of having it repaired..so cost becomes a problem.

Keyless Ignition Systems

Remote keyless system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Security Watch: Gone in 60 seconds--the high-tech version - CNET Reviews

Safety of cars' keyless entry and ignition systems questioned - Los Angeles Times

Nissan's Intelligent Key keyless ignition and entry system Question. : Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security

New X Trail ignition problem - Nissan Forums: Nissan Forum

Last edited by sanjayc : 14th June 2010 at 20:18.
Old 14th June 2010, 20:34   #311
Senior - BHPian

100% with you Sanjay. Though I am an electronics engineer, I am not very impressed when it is used too much in mission critilcal areas. They can be affected by so many X factors like cosmic rays, electrostatics and what not! If I am right, Toyota is yet to resolve what caused the runaway cars. Keep the things simple if they are meant to be that way.

Last edited by poloman : 14th June 2010 at 20:35.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:21   #312
Senior - BHPian

Sort of like what happened with mercedes benz's sensotronic braking system.They removed it after just one generation use.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:38   #313
Senior - BHPian

Fiat and Ford are pushing their unique features and now Micra is doing the same. Do we really need them? I doubt. Are they interesting? yes they are. I would put the car on my wish list if it had a decent diesel coming up.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:51   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
100% with you Sanjay. Though I am an electronics engineer, I am not very impressed when it is used too much in mission critilcal areas. They can be affected by so many X factors like cosmic rays, electrostatics and what not! If I am right, Toyota is yet to resolve what caused the runaway cars. Keep the things simple if they are meant to be that way.
Well..I will find it hard to imagine mission-critial stuff without an overdose of technology - but then they are in controlled environments and handled by experts.

For cars, it should be as idiot-proof as it can be. Another tid-bit of information regarding stopping the vehicle using the push-button thing-seems like you need to keep it pressed for 3-secs or so! Now, whatever stories I have read about Toyotas not stopping, apparently the drivers were unaware that the button needs to be kept pressed for some time! Did I say, I saw that coming!

Give me anyday a funky gps/ice with all sorts of cool stuff..but when it comes to starting/stopping a car, I prefer the old fashioned way of doing things - neutral/clutch/ignition/pedal to start, neutral/igniton to stop - no hanky/panky, no fuss. Period. BTW, I love the noise generated by the multiple keys dangling by the ignition in an otherwise perfectly silent interior of my car.
Old 15th June 2010, 06:46   #315
Senior - BHPian

You have to use technology in mission critical stuff where it cannot be avoided but they will have double and even triple redundancy and lot of overrides if something goes wrong. This cannot be implemented in cars due to commercial reasons. There were some reports where actual reason of the toyota cars not stopping attributed to the drive by wire acceleration affected by cosmic rays . But still no clarity on the matter.
Closed Thread