Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th May 2010, 14:29   #31
BHPian

This thought keeps coming to my mind !!! Are we not wasting a lots of water by washing our car daily. I stay in a apartment Bangalore (Kaggadaspura) where the water scarcity is too much during the summer.
I do not use my car in daily basis. So I use a car cover and when ever the car get dirty, i just clean them myself. This may be a week or a few week.
How ever the security person always insist for a daily wash as they get some extra money, using our own paid water. In my prev apartment there is one car which never used. It used to be idle always But security person will be cleaning everyday. What a waste of water
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 14:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I guess all of us have air conditioners at home - what are we doing with the water than condenses from it?
That's an excellent idea, I've been always thinking of using them constructively, but this is great idea. But I guess, the water would evapurate by the time I get into car wash. But its worth giving a try than pushing.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 16:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
It's interesting to know that car companies advise not to use a dry cloth to wipe the glass areas. Wiping off dust or dirt from the windshield by using a dry cloth is likely to scratch the glass and may become troublesome in the long run.
I know that, & so does my car cleaning boy. He just dusts the glass area, & then rubs the damp cloth in horizontal direction (no cross crossing or zig-zag manner) so that the glass is stain free.

But, thank you for showing your concern & the advice.

Best Regards
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:04   #34
BHPian

I pay 150 Rs for cleaner, who cleans the almost 4/6 cars with 1 bucket of water. I only wash the car when its too dirty, may be once in a 5/6 months and one wash at service center, whenever I go for schedule service.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:35   #35
mkh
Senior - BHPian

From Jan-April, and even last 2 weeks, i have not put a single bucket of water on my 2 cars. I used NXT tech wax and weekly booster wax using Ultimate quick wax. Daily dusting using california duster, only when it rains, need to use water. Use the detailer for normal usage, if a little dirty(stains, bugs etc)
That too if its not too bad, use a wet micro and wipe it with a dry one later. Saved water and avoided so many problems of salt accumulation, swirls etc on my car. Recommend all blr guys to see this - its a great way to maintain the car and save a lot of effort,time and resources. Only for 2-3 months of rains, cant help as the mud needs to be washed.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
That's an excellent idea, I've been always thinking of using them constructively, but this is great idea. But I guess, the water would evapurate by the time I get into car wash. But its worth giving a try than pushing.
Closed bucket with a hole just right for the hose Drop by my place when you are in Besant nagar next time, I would invariably have at least 1/4 a bucket of water.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 18:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Closed bucket with a hole just right for the hose Drop by my place when you are in Besant nagar next time, I would invariably have at least 1/4 a bucket of water.
We can also use the residual water from RO. In my house it is used by the maid to sweep the floor (pocha) & to water the plants (except Tulsi ~ Holy Basil).
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 18:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I pay 150 Rs for cleaner, who cleans the almost 4/6 cars with 1 bucket of water. I only wash the car when its too dirty, may be once in a 5/6 months and one wash at service center, whenever I go for schedule service.
IMHO cleaning 4-6 cars with 1 bucket of water is not a good idea. The 'cleaning' part fades to hold true after the first car when the water becomes dark, gritty and muddy.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 19:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
IMHO cleaning 4-6 cars with 1 bucket of water is not a good idea. The 'cleaning' part fades to hold true after the first car when the water becomes dark, gritty and muddy.
Very true. The idea behind cleaning should not be about reducing the amount of water. You need a minimum amount of water to get a good wash. Recycling that water is where the focus should be.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 19:21   #40
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Earlier, I used to wash my car, which i use everyday. Now i have made it once a week. Everyday, i use a brush to take off excess dust, use a cloth to wipe-off the dust that does not go away with the brush and then use Colin to take off any dust spots and the glass with a clean cloth.

I save a lot of water and time in the morning and get a good exercise too...
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 20:21   #41
BHPian

I use many buckets and with very little water in them. That way I can get fresh water in many buckets always as compared to using one big bucket and getting that whole thing dirty. Also I rinse the cloth in between a lot.

Another idea which my sister implemented while helping me clean my car is to use a mug. Fill the mug with clean water and dip the cloth into it. Use it for a section of the car. Then pour it out and refill. So you can avoid having too many buckets and your car would be rinsed out in essentially 4 mugs of water.

I also wash the car every Sunday as its a good workout. If you're feeling that guilty skip your bath for Sunday and its even.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 10:23   #42
BANNED

Default some answers,

hi all, thanks for your contributions, well I have myself started doing following things.
1) Avoid using Hose pipe except in rainy seasons
2) Using of dry dusters as much as possible
3) Not to Wash the car from Inside (cabin),substitute is Wet wipe this also reduces Rusting of body parts (as water is not reaching spots where it is hard to be dried out)
I have also started to delaying the washing cycle at least by few days & started avoiding frequent washes
I use following method to wash a car
a)restrict the quantity to about 15 ltr.s of water per car
b) I wash the car with wet duster, firstly I get it wet then apply Gentley on surfaces (avoid rubbing), then wash the duster in a bucket. I repeat this process till the car is clean
c) Throwing the dirty water to plants ,trees
I am thinking of using a Vaccume cleaner, with Custum made Attachments(soft brushes for painted surfaces etc.) I frequently use the vaccume cleaner to clean the cabin with good results.
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cleaning Vehicles/wasting Water ?

Quote:
Link to the original post
I have been washing my cars on a weekly basis (the intervals get bigger during rains), and in my experience I have needed more than a single bucket of water to wash one car, the latest being three buckets for both cars (one a hatch, the other a sedan).

After using the Jopasu wet car duster (which is like a glove without fingers), I was able to complete washing of both cars plus the rims in just two buckets of water.

The procedure adopted was the same that I followed with naked hands: throw water onto the car body and wipe it clean, rubbing out the hardened bird droppings. With the glove, I saved a lot of water as compared to with naked hands.

In essence instead of throwing water on the car body and then cleaning it, it might work better if we used a wet cloth or sponge or something similar.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been washing my cars on a weekly basis (the intervals get bigger during rains), and in my experience I have needed more than a single bucket of water to wash one car, the latest being three buckets for both cars (one a hatch, the other a sedan).

After using the Jopasu wet car duster (which is like a glove without fingers), I was able to complete washing of both cars plus the rims in just two buckets of water.
Fully agree with your point, a car can be washed with max 2 buckets of water and not more. Any more use of water is sheer wastage. The wet car duster approach seems to be really efficient and saves us from any cuts or bruises at rough edges with our bare hands. Also washing it once a week is good enough for most times and vaccuming the interiors makes a lot of sense. All these will help us make a move to conserve every drop/ bucket/ tank of water for our own good.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

I use my car daily on various roads and it does accumulate dust. I dust it using Jopasu Duster whenever it seems too dusty. Once a week or once in 2 weeks I give it a pressure wash and then apply diluted solution of ONR using a microfibre cloth and remove all the oil/stains on the car. Then dry the car using another microfibre cloth. This way I ensure minimum use of water with optimal wash.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote