Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2005, 16:08   #1
Max
BHPian

Arrow How do I protect my Car / Bike from Rust ?

Hi Guys,

Recently, I bought Hyosung Aquila GV250 bike. Its very wonderful bike but it contents lots of steel object. I was wondering how do I protect all steel and metal stuff from getting rust ?

At present I plan to do WD-40 spray on all steel parts and on engine every month and do polish on tank every 14 days myself.

I also own New Honda city and it has lots of chrome (steel!) stuff in it.

Also, while doing extensive research I found, putting grease or oil will prevent rust collection ! Is this true ?

Any tips and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Cheers !!!
Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th October 2005, 17:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes oil and greese do prevent rust.

Try an experiment cover a nail with oil or greese and leave it outside also leave one nail without any oil on it.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 22:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

grease on the chassi will definitly help and oil all moving parts well.that will help in the smooth movement as well as prevent rust.

check this thread out for keeping your car clean and look new always..credit to rudra sir.great work old man !!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6739

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 01:56   #4
Max
BHPian

well I am not talking about moving parts I am talking about the steel silencer, steel grill, steel handle, front and rear shock absorbers, mirrors and other parts made from steel. there is lots of steel on the bike which is very shiny, infect engine also seems made of steel.

check these images out.

as you can see lots of steel there on the bike.

http://www.mahinder.com/xoop/html/mo...umName=album01

here is complete album.

and yes i have been through that thread about keeping your car clean but it doesn't specifically focus on preventing RUST on bike or car.

There someone suggested using white powder to clean rust. Do anyone know what kind of white powder he is talking about?

Last edited by Max : 26th October 2005 at 01:59.
Old 26th October 2005, 10:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
There someone suggested using white powder to clean rust. Do anyone know what kind of white powder he is talking about?
Max, I have used that white powder. It is used to REMOVE rust and does not PREVENT rust. However I must say it does remove rust very efficiently.
shobhit15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 15:59   #6
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15
Max, I have used that white powder. It is used to REMOVE rust and does not PREVENT rust. However I must say it does remove rust very efficiently.
what is the name of that white powder and from where i can get it ?
Old 27th October 2005, 20:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Max, rust on chrome plated parts can only happen when chrome skins have peeled off from here and there. This is essentially the case for your bike. New cars come with rust proof treatment and they don't suffer much.

But you being in Bombay and close to the sea, is a different picture all together. Yes, you do have to take extra care.

Rust, essentially comes from moisture. So, your engine is the least affected area due to huge heat generation. Rest of the chrome parts can be coated with some brown stuff (I donít know the name) from a proper garage. Iíve seen this brown coating on lots of FIAT bumpers those days in Bombay. It looks ugly but I suppose it works.

If youíre careful enough and not bothered about little stain marks on your clothing, apply thin coat of petroleum jelly (VASLINE) all over the chrome area. In side mudguard, apply a coat of grease. Itíll repeal water but attract muck. Try to wipe out all water droplets as soon as you get back home.

Itís tiring but you need to do these, at least.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 23:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if you can get the following products in India but I am sure someone will know if they are.

ACF-50 spray is expensive but offers top quality protection. It is said to kill corrosion on contact and prevent corrosion occuring. Try a search in google for ACF-50 it should yield a few results.

An alternative is Scotoil F365, this is water based so does wash off.

ACF-50 is the better product.
[size=2][/size]
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 23:31   #9
BHPian

[quote=Rudra Sen]Max,

Rest of the chrome parts can be coated with some brown stuff (I donít know the name) from a proper garage. Iíve seen this brown coating on lots of FIAT bumpers those days in Bombay. It looks ugly but I suppose it works.

The brown stuff you are talking about is shellac, which is normally used for fixing gasket in two wheelers. Its very cheap. About 10 bucks for a small bottle. You may need about two bottles for the entire chrome stuff. Can be diluted with either petrol or NC thinner and applied with a soft flat brush.

Any preventive coating takes away the glory of having chrome.
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 23:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
what is the name of that white powder and from where i can get it ?
Max, avoid using this white powder. Its a strong abbrasive, thats why it removes rust, at the same time pealing away microns of chrome plating. In a few days the base metal would be exposed resulting in more corrosion.
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote