Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 15:44   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post

What may be the reason?

1. People become more aware about the modern refined diesel engines?

2. They are not much bother to bear the initial higher cost of diesel cars but more keen to take the advantage of low running costs?

3. But then why i20 diesel is not selling well? May be i20 diesel is exorbitantly higher in cost as far as hatch back is concern? In that price they can by a diesel sedan (Maruti Dzire)?

4. I think this should be an eye opener for Honda - they should reduce the price of the Jazz and simultaneously launch a diesel variant too. IMO in India very few people are willing to pay more than 6.0 lakhs for a hatchback car. Instead they'll love to buy a sedan. Honda should understand nothing is premium today - to see an upward moving sales graph they should make their cars more affordable.

5. Looking at this trend Chevy also launch a diesel Beat ASAP. Hyundai can also give a tough competition to others with addtion of an i10 diesel.

Another reason could be those SEZs being built at city outskirts and people having to travel more distance.
joshdrive is offline  
Old 11th June 2010, 16:50   #182
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
;...

Attachment 364975

What may be the reason?

1. People become more aware about the modern refined diesel engines?

2. They are not much bother to bear the initial higher cost of diesel cars but more keen to take the advantage of low running costs?

3. But then why i20 diesel is not selling well? May be i20 diesel is exorbitantly higher in cost as far as hatch back is concern? In that price they can by a diesel sedan (Maruti Dzire)?

4. I think this should be an eye opener for Honda - they should reduce the price of the Jazz and simultaneously launch a diesel variant too. IMO in India very few people are willing to pay more than 6.0 lakhs for a hatchback car. Instead they'll love to buy a sedan. Honda should understand nothing is premium today - to see an upward moving sales graph they should make their cars more affordable.

5. Looking at this trend Chevy also launch a diesel Beat ASAP. Hyundai can also give a tough competition to others with addtion of an i10 diesel.
I may sound a tad negative but this is just my perspective. In india as far as i have seen, there is a major tendency for herd type thinking, instead of looking at the real value of diesel vs petrol, people look more at what they end up paying per fill and with the rise in petrol prices, the gap has increased between diesel and petrol
Added to that surely is the fact that diesel engines are refined and much better. If you look at the gap between the initial price when it comes to EMI, its not much and gets offset by the monthly fuel bill.( did a detailed analysis and also asked people around hence my inference is also data based)
So buying a diesel is not always the wisest choice, but it happens a lot now
Clearly the gap in i20's case is too large to get offset by the monthly bill hence the low i20 CRDI sales.
Diesel cars resell better also if they are less run especially with the private cabs etc that run now a lot in cities.
As for honda- i can see repeated posts asking them to cut prices, even i felt the same till i took a very detailed TD and looked at the jazz offering. Maybe they should just cut a few corners in the quality of material used(like the spark plugs, interiors, magic seat offering, wiper blades) and bring the cost down with a stripped down version ( with maybe only driver air bag) and offer at 1-1.5 lac less. That way most people will just look at the price cut and not look at how that has happened and lap it up.
I do not say honda cars come cheap, but then a manufacturer that has had a clear majority in its segment for over 12 years, has something to offer(in the city i mean)
Maybe they are paying the penalty of being complacent, but i do not think they are offering unreasonably high priced cars.( even i will LOVE a 10% cut in all their cars!!!)
mkh is offline  
Old 11th June 2010, 16:56   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,572
Thanked: 813 Times
Default

I had two of my friends buying the Jazz. They too thought the price is a little higher, but didn't care. Once you TD the car and have a look inside it looks unique.
srishiva is online now  
Old 15th June 2010, 17:20   #184
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 769
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

It has become a joke among Honda fans. ANHC sells well in spite of high price because people know the value of the car. Honda Jazz does not sell well because people don't know the value of the car (such as spark plugs, wiper blades). Honda in India has become an oxymoron.
opendro is offline  
Old 15th June 2010, 17:30   #185
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,728
Thanked: 7,889 Times
Default

Anybody has the data how many Cruze ( Variant-wise ( LT/LTZ) sold in May'10?
mobike008 is offline  
Old 15th June 2010, 17:34   #186
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

I like the Jazz very much and would love to buy it, even at current prices.
Gansan is offline  
Old 15th June 2010, 17:54   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

For every Figo put on the road by Ford, Maruti has put 2 Swifts. That should lay to rest all doubts regarding the Figo soon overtaking Swift sales. The Logan outseling the Ikon is a surprise.

Last edited by longhorn : 15th June 2010 at 17:55.
longhorn is offline  
Old 15th June 2010, 20:19   #188
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Ok here it is.
Attachment 361176
IMO, Beat and i10 should be with ritz polo etc since both sport 1.2L engines.
mxx is offline  
Old 16th June 2010, 10:23   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

@ mxx - I guess, the current classification of the cars (i10 & Beat) is correct, as per the passenger space offered. They are strictly a segment below cars like GP, Polo & i20.
arvi86 is offline  
Old 16th June 2010, 20:37   #190
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default

To be precise I10 and beat are in a different segment altogether. (in between estillo segment and swift segment)
Space isnt a consideration. If so a-star and wagonR would be in different segments.
oxyzen is offline  
Old 16th June 2010, 22:10   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 110 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
For every Figo put on the road by Ford, Maruti has put 2 Swifts. That should lay to rest all doubts regarding the Figo soon overtaking Swift sales.
Actually you know what, Ford will be more than happy with the show that they have put up.
Imagine this it would have been their dream anyday that ardent supporters of suzuki like yourself, are even comparing the Swift sales figures along with them and keeping track of its sales.

I would say in that sense Ford has won more than half the battle in first few months.
But mind you dont think Ford or for that matter any new entrant would be bothered about Suzuki vehicles sales, for they have such a huge footprint. It has always been question of who is next better than Maruti Suzuki.

Last edited by xingamazon : 16th June 2010 at 22:11.
xingamazon is offline  
Old 17th June 2010, 10:58   #192
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Actually you know what, Ford will be more than happy with the show that they have put up.
You bet they will and they have every reason to. With a take it or leave it dealer attitude (what does the dealer think he is selling, a Merc?), and after being in slumber for the better part of a decade, they finally seem to have got their act together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Imagine this it would have been their dream anyday that ardent supporters of suzuki like yourself, are even comparing the Swift sales figures along with them and keeping track of its sales.
I guess this thread is meant to track May 2010 sales figures of passenger vehicles. I don't think my support or lack of it for Maruti/Suzuki has anything to do with the numbers they or any of the other manufacturers have put on the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I would say in that sense Ford has won more than half the battle in first few months.
Don't be so sure. We had lots of people going gaga over the Punto when it was launched. Where do Punto sales stand now? It can be termed as a niche player at most. I'm not saying that the Figo will go the Punto way, but we need to analyse the sales of atleast 6 months before coming to a conclusion of what the monthly average would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
But mind you dont think Ford or for that matter any new entrant would be bothered about Suzuki vehicles sales, for they have such a huge footprint.
I don't think so. Every new product coming onto the market in this segment be it the Polo, Micra, Etios - all have Swift as their benchmark. This has been admitted by the manufacturers themselves. The Swift's success could not be replicated even by Maruti's own Ritz which does less than half of what the Swift does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
It has always been question of who is next better than Maruti Suzuki.
You have said it yourself are you are saying that I'm a Suzuki fanboy.
The only reason I mentioned that the Figo sales is currently at around 50% of the Swift is because I saw the same enthusiasm for the Figo as I did for the Punto(when it was launched) with people stating Figo will overtake Swift in no time etc. What better way to enlighten folks than with the sales numbers in hand.

Last edited by longhorn : 17th June 2010 at 10:59.
longhorn is offline  
Old 17th June 2010, 12:53   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 110 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I guess this thread is meant to track May 2010 sales figures of passenger vehicles. I don't think my support or lack of it for Maruti/Suzuki has anything to do with the numbers they or any of the other manufacturers have put on the board.
My quote was to explain that thier numbers were good enough and a measure of the perception on people. I do agree this thread is supposed to discuss only about May sales figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
We need to analyse the sales of atleast 6 months before coming to a conclusion of what the monthly average would be.
Dont think I am the only person doing that. Anyway the same thing is what I have been trying to tell you for the comment that you made below.
Quote:
For every Figo put on the road by Ford, Maruti has put 2 Swifts. That should lay to rest all doubts regarding the Figo soon overtaking Swift sales.


Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't think so. Every new product coming onto the market in this segment be it the Polo, Micra, Etios - all have Swift as their benchmark. This has been admitted by the manufacturers themselves. The Swift's success could not be replicated even by Maruti's own Ritz which does less than half of what the Swift does.
Well there is a lot of difference between having one figure as your benchmark and thinking practically of what can be achieved. Even I agree people when asked would say Swift is their benchmark, but practically thinking no sales head would be thinking he can possibly do that.
Come on, think of this what do you expect Nissan's head to say about Micra. He cant come out into press and say openly that we cant beat the Swift volume blah blah.. When confronted one would surely say things like "Ya that is our benchmark etc".

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Quote:
It has always been question of who is next better than Maruti Suzuki.
You have said it yourself are you are saying that I'm a Suzuki fanboy.
For anybody to say the statement that I have said he need not be a Suzuki fanboy, all he needs to have is some knowledge about Indian car market and some practical thinking. I can assume anyone who has both will agree to my points.
xingamazon is offline  
Old 27th June 2010, 18:01   #194
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 144
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
For every Figo put on the road by Ford, Maruti has put 2 Swifts. That should lay to rest all doubts regarding the Figo soon overtaking Swift sales. The Logan outseling the Ikon is a surprise.
IMHO, what will have Maruti worried for now is the Figo+i20 combined sales figures. And a few months down the line (when the Polo production stabilizes) is the combined sales figures of the trio.
carZest is offline  
Old 27th June 2010, 22:44   #195
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: God'sowncountry
Posts: 106
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
IMHO, what will have Maruti worried for now is the Figo+i20 combined sales figures. And a few months down the line (when the Polo production stabilizes) is the combined sales figures of the trio.
Agree to that. Maruti should concentrate on streamlining the production so that cars in demand are produced and not cars that stockpile.

In the yester years, Maruti has relegated the Indian consumer by not offering the KB series engine when Swift was released. Now when the KB series engine was finally adopted, swift’s body shell is poised for upgrade. When several people (read me) were about to make a decision about buying, the launch took place. I am ready to wait for a reasonable time for my dream car. Now if Maruti delays the launch of the new swift model and the dezire based on it, definitely the combined sales of the trio (figo+i20+polo) may overtake swift numbers. Remember, dezire was launched 2 years back. It is interesting to see what Maruti is going to do in this respect. Several people are going to postpone decision in anticipation of the new dezire model. It shall also be remembered that several potential customers of dezire are hatch back customers who look for the easy upgrade to swift and are not truly sedan customers.
specialist1968 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
May 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 95 1st July 2012 20:37
May 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures GTO The Indian Car Scene 174 1st July 2011 17:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks