Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2011, 09:50   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Testing sub-4 meter XYLO. EDIT : Fresh PICS on Page 38

If MITSUBISHI could do a PAJERO JUNIOR, then I am sure that TATA and MAHINDRA can also do it. One condition though - the cost benefit has to be passed onto the consumer. The vehicle should be cheaper than the current one it is based on.

Something like - Short GRANDE + Interest on loan for 5 years = Norma GRANDE
Old 17th May 2011, 19:09   #257
Senior - BHPian

As per IndianCarsBikes, the trial production of the Mini Xylo has begun. Here is the report:

Mahindra Xylo Mini MPV trial production begins? | IndianCarsBikes.in

The engine as per the website is derived from the 2.2L Mhawk engine that does duty on the Scorpio & on W201 (it is actually 3 cylinder 1.5L). But, from the images on the website, where the vehicle is on a trailer, it appears under-tyred... look at the wheel wells of the vehicle.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 20:01   #258
Team-BHP Support

Same article in Economic Times today.

Mahindra & Mahindra begins trial production of mini-Xylo - The Economic Times
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 20:05   #259
Senior - BHPian

Both the wheels of the car seems tobe of different size? Why only Mahindra succeeds in making misproportioned vehicles. Already Xylo is not a looker and they further add some bad aesthetics to it? And this vehicle BTW is also not a great looker by any way. Poor designs... really poor!
Old 17th May 2011, 20:21   #260
Senior - BHPian

That's a great news! I thought Liva diesel would be competing with Xylo mini, but now as Liva diesel is no more in news, Xylo mini if produced and priced right, can have a great start. I hope M&M gets its act right.

@mercedised: Those are old images, not current. Besides, for someone looking for good GC and a reliable weekend vehicle, interior quality matters more than exterior looks. See toyota Etios, looks beautiful on the outside by color, but inside it is all poor plastics. If currenty interior xylo features like seperate AC vents for back seat, arm rests for front as well as back seats are carried over, then this will surely beat the competition.
Old 17th May 2011, 22:22   #261
Senior - BHPian

Couple of illustrations on how the look could go, if they borrow the fascia from the Genio, with minimum money spent.

My favourite is the black one.. the one I am waiting for!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Testing sub-4 meter XYLO. EDIT : Fresh PICS on Page 38-mahindra-xylo-facelift-5.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by ashutoshb : 17th May 2011 at 22:41.
Old 18th May 2011, 01:40   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
C'mon @ashutoshb.
But Tata doesn't seem to be minding this segment at all.
Maybe at the fag end of the X2 platform life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If MITSUBISHI could do a PAJERO JUNIOR, then I am sure that TATA and MAHINDRA can also do it. One condition though - the cost benefit has to be passed onto the consumer. The vehicle should be cheaper than the current one it is based on.

Something like - Short GRANDE + Interest on loan for 5 years = Norma GRANDE
TATA does not have the right platform for a SUV/MUV-CS vehicle. The Grande is a little wider for a CS version. My guess would be that they could build something from ACE, but I am not sure how robust it will be.

I wish the Vista platform was good enough for this. But may be they could build something like Sx4 hatch in the vista platform. Their focus seems elsewhere.

Kudos to Mahindra to focus more on the UV segment. Mini Xylo is positioned to give tough competition for premium hatches as well as entry level sedans. This may well steal the thunder from Etios / Liva.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:07   #263
Senior - BHPian

Default SKODA SUV below 10 Lakh

Looks like the mini SUV segment is heating up..
Skoda India plans sub-Rs 10 lakh SUV
Quote:
The Skoda product will directly challenge Indian companies, which offer cheaper options. Mahindra & Mahindra’s Scorpio is priced between Rs 7.43 lakh and Rs 12.39 lakh, while Tata Motors’ Safari Dicor costs between Rs 8 lakh and Rs 13 lakh.
Skoda’s new SUV could also pose a challenge in the luxury mid-sized sedan market, which includes Honda City, Volkswagen Vento and Hyundai Verna.
Tata is the only one who do not have a Mini SUV in the pipe line. What about Fiat, do they have any plans for a SUV?
Old 18th May 2011, 15:04   #264
Senior - BHPian

This launch is going to be very exciting. More than anything, it will give all those who want an SUV at heart but are forced to settle for Hatches due to financial constraints a new avenue. It will create a whole new segment for vehicles - SUV height and width but not the length!
Old 18th May 2011, 15:12   #265
Senior - BHPian

Crap! Looks so ugly.....i mean even WagonR and the oldest gen Santro will beat this in look. But one other thing it sure is - VFM provided it is launched at the 5lac range ET is talking about.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:27   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
This launch is going to be very exciting. More than anything, it will give all those who want an SUV at heart but are forced to settle for Hatches due to financial constraints a new avenue. It will create a whole new segment for vehicles - SUV height and width but not the length!
IMHO, it is not only the financial constraints but also the fact that some people dont want to lug around big SUVs when the passenger number is usually <=4.
Considering the smaller dimensions and engine size, FE should also be better?
Old 18th May 2011, 17:07   #267
Senior - BHPian

The small tires spotted in previous posts may be correct because of the FE considerations. This mini xylo will have a smaller engine and a lesser weight than the present one, so surely its tire requirement too will not be as high as the original xylo. Thus I guess its normal version will sport smaller tires, for aiding FE.
Old 18th May 2011, 20:26   #268
BHPian

Anyday I will prefer to have a Compact SUV rather than a full size. Its gives me many benefit like.
1. FE
2. More space utilization.
3. Easy Parking.
4. Drivability in City.

Looks is subjective, if the product is really VFM then I think this will open up a new segment in Indian Market. Much waited
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:15   #269
BHPian

Default SCOOP! Pics of an unknown Mahindra test mule. Please help me identify it

First of all i apologize for the pic quality as they were taken from my mobile camera and also i was driving. Could manage to take a snap of only the rear end of the test mule.

Was on my way from Ooty to Masinagudi on 19/05/201 via Kalhatti ghat. Saw 2 of these test mules first at Ooty itself but could not take pics as they were driving away at a good speed in the opposite direction. Again in a few minutes saw 2 test mules while getting down the Kalhatti ghat.

The front grill of this test mule reminds me of Mahindra vehicles (xylo to be particular) IIRC the vehicle had TN registration plates. Which vehicle is this?

MODS - I searched and could not find any thread relating to this. Please EDIT the thread title once the test mule has been identified. If there is an existing thread please merge this post with the existing thread.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mahindra (2).pdf (1.32 MB, 1161 views)
Torque123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:24   #270
BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP! Pics of an unknown test mule. Please help me identify it

Hey why have you attached a .pdf file? Read the announcements section if you don't know how to post a pic.
Coming back to the topic, the mule may be the SUV code-named W201.
But if you are saying that it had a Xylo-like grille then maybe it was the new sub-4 meter Xylo which is going to be launched.
Closed Thread