Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th November 2005, 20:15   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
No, there are many other sizes in which duratec is available.... not just 1.4 or 1.6L, I remember to have seen this in a web link.... but probably it wasn't ford's official site.... some user group/club
Just to add, I was referring to this site: http://www.what-means.com/encyclopedia/Duratec

The word "Duratec" seems to be used rather generously! doesn't look like it is referring to a specific technology or class of engines.... more of a marketting gimmick ??
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 20:26   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Wasn't this how they were selling the 1.3 pushrod ikon some years ago? Looks like they are trying the same strategy now.
With this pricing wonder what will happen to Ikon...
Has any one picked a Ikon of late, please share the prices (OTR Bangalore)
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 20:44   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
The word "Duratec" seems to be used rather generously! doesn't look like it is referring to a specific technology or class of engines.... more of a marketting gimmick ??
You hit the nail on the head. Me sitting here in Dubai has Duratec, my friend in Calicut has Duratec and now most of India that buys the new Fords will have the Duratec...for all I know the Taxis of New York are also on Duratec (the Crown Vics).

Not very convincing. At least nowhere as convincing as Honda's Vtec, iVtec and Toyota's VVti series of engines - those had a tangible advantage over their competition.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 20:56   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
They are OTR price including the stinking lifetime tax of Karnataka.
You mean potholing fee
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 21:48   #200
BHPian

quoting myself here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
can anyone venture an educated guess as to what will happen to the Ikon Flair pricing in the midst of all this blood letting ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
fellow members,

any ideas on the (expected) IKON Flair's price cuts in light of the fiesta launch and the fusion price cut ???
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 22:03   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
t i seriously doubt if FORD can satisfy these requirements viz; low entry point into the brand and low running costs.
Hey I was not talking about a cheap hatch, may be a hatch in the range of swift/getz..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Now they should plonk fiesta's dsl engine into the fusion and start selling it at a more competitive price. i am sure there will be takers for fusion then.
That would be a good idea, it will place it directly against the indigo. Only problem is maintanance cost of ford's are extremely high. Just checkout the ford fusion's spare part cost in this month's AutoCar.
solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 22:05   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
just what i've been thinking . . . picked up a 1.3 ikon flair in march for around 5.1-5.2 on road mumbai.
will it now depreciate as faST As the cielo did by any chance?

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 22:46   #203
Senior - BHPian

Hey manson,
don't worry.
The prices will drop by a further 20K then what you would have gotten otherwise.
The fiesta is 25K more then the Accent CRDi, is bigger, newer, safer, fully loaded and gives a better FE so i guess it will def. be a winner.
Was looking at getting a fiesta diesel for our factory, to replace the ikon but there is no base model.
Let's see the price in Mumbai.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2005, 23:48   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Duratec...for all I know the Taxis of New York are also on Duratec (the Crown Vics).
The Crown Vics are powered by 4.6L V8s. The largest capacity Duratec, as far as I know, is the 3L unit powering a few Fords. A bigger 3.5L is expected next year. Duratec, as a technology, was okay to advertise in the early 90's (When most American cars were still on pushrods) , but I dont think its relevant now.

BTW, I saw an orange Fiesta in the display window of Planet Ford on Paud Road, as I was passing today. Ikon users looking for a size upgrade are going to be dissappointed I think. Quite unremarkable presence, if we discount the horrible orange colour. But I need to see the car in daylight again.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 00:45   #205
BHPian

The difference in pricing for the top end Petrol ( Sxi) and the Diesel model is just 10 K . The diesel ofcourse will have all the features of the Sxi .
This reminds me of what Skoda did with its pricing when it entered the Indian market. It priced the Diesel as well as the Petrol model at the exact same price. When buyers came in to see the car and noticed that the Diesel was price the same as the petrol , they just lapped it up . Note that these were the initial buyers who were not influenced by Reviews , test drives or word of mouth publicity.
Ford seems to be adopting the same strategy. And it WILL work I feel.

Also this seems to be the reason that the Sxi model is not available for booking cause Ford itself does not expect it to do any sizeable number of volumes when the Diesel option costs just a few grands more.Even the Skoda petrol when launched ( and maybe even now) had a share of less than 10 % on the overall Skoda sales.

Waiting for an un-baised Test drive though ...

Last edited by metallica : 16th November 2005 at 00:47.
metallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 01:24   #206

Default below 6 lacs ikon looks better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Hmmmm...I really wonder how much the lesser priced variant is going to sell at. Or it might just end up as a bestseller, with the higher end variants creating the image of a very expensive car while the exi does all the volumes.......
below 6 lacs ikon 1.6 looks better than Fiesta ... better looks .... better handling .... higher power/wt .... can compare fully once the features list for fiesta is out.
dashingscud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 07:53   #207
BHPian

Here in hyderarabad when i and aadix went for asking about the discounts on fusion about two weeks ago the salesman was saying that discounts on fusion are only if u pay upfront or elseteke finance through ford .We thoght there must be some catch in it.
Guys can u tell me about the discounts which is being offered currently on fusin really love that car
trinadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 10:26   #208
BHPian

Today i read in a news paper that all cars in the range from baleno,NHC,optra,accent etcetc will have to revise their prices,due to the highly competitive pricing of the fiesta.
It also stated that the fiesta will eat in the sales of the ikon but there take was that the sales fig of the ikon were dropping anyways....
vandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 11:16   #209
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod - please do not repeat info already in thread. Makes things ponderous

Last edited by ajmat : 16th November 2005 at 11:45.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 11:23   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Ford Fiesta will come in 4 Variants:
1. Base EXi for 5.59 Lacs Petrol
2. ZXi 1.6 Petrol for 6.29 Lacs
3. Sxi 1.6 Petrol for 6.89 lacs
4. Top end 1.4 Diesel fir 6.99 Lac
and those are ex-showroom prices, right?

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote