Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th February 2015, 14:14   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Unnecessary and unexplainable passion for a car brand

Whether rational or not, brand perception plays a large part in any purchase, more so in cars and bikes.

If we look at the car or bike as mere commodities, it will be different but we do not.

For example the TVS Apache RTR 180 with ABS is the best VFM, if I think about it. But it does not pull at my heart strings! My heart keeps pointing towards the Hondas and yamahas!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 17:20   #137
BHPian

For any product, all I care about is the merit of the product, and the brand's longevity for its service support till I own the product.

Other stuffs - Who Cares!
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 19:39   #138
Senior - BHPian

Brand loyalty is fine till you dont make a stupid decision only based on that loyalty. I always look at the product and what its offering in Vfm factor. We bought Manza cos none of the options were giving us as much in that much money fulfilling most of our criteria. Same when I bought City. And now Manza may be replaced by Zest cos it looks most VFM or the upcoming Figo sedan if it can surpass it in Vfm factor. So, no loyalty to any brand and just unbiased consideration when I buy a car.m Although, my father is really biased for Tata and always favor it.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 20:35   #139
BHPian

I have this - "One Ford. Always Ford" running behind my mind always. But definitely its not unnecessary, not explainable though
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 22:47   #140
BHPian

Brands are built to convey certain characteristics, actual and perceived. Except those who have access to TBHP sort of forum, how others are going to make an objective comparison? Which are the sources available to get his queries answered in unbiased way? Hence once budget and segment finalized, his best bet is to decide on the basis of values attached with a brand.

If the question is if it right, I would say - yes, to a large extent. If a manufacturer has a weak reputation, most of the time there are valid reasons. In BHP itself, brands are regularly subject to criticism for one or the other negatives. A buyer may not have wherewithal to understand the reasons but he picks-up the general theme and is lead by it. IMO, he that way reduces the probability of expectations not meeting or (more damaging) his later coming out like like a fool.
rsm97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 12:03   #141
BHPian

Post Re: Unnecessary and unexplainable passion for a car brand

Ah! This thread is a replica of the video given below:

Apple debuted the iPhone 5 at a press conference, and the world was abuzz with excitement over what's sure to be a faster, more feature-y version of the smartphone we all know and love.

So Jimmy Kimmel decided to do a social experiment out on the sidewalks of Los Angeles.

Copies of the 5 weren't yet available, but Kimmel decided to bring a regular old 4 out there and see how people would react if he told them it was the new and improved version.

I think it is the same in case of car brands as well. I remember my uncle's unexplained passion towards a brand when he booked Ciaz only because it was Maruti. And it is quiet true that almost all of us display loyalty towards a certain brand and argue blindly.

Though what makes the thread controversial is the title itself.

I would be nice if the word "Unnecessary" is removed from the title and something like "Blind passion for a car brand" or "Unexplained passion for a car brand" should sound less controversial.

Even more controversial is the fact that the owner of the thread himself is displaying "Unexplained passion for a car brand (Hyundai)".
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 12:16   #142
BHPian

Today we have brands in every sphere of our life. Be it a cell phone, TV, cloths, shoes and even sugar, salt, rice etc. But the story of brand value in case of cars and bikes is different.
I think brands are not built in a day. Every brand has its own share of reputation or the lack of it for various reasons. Brands like Toyota, Honda, Suzuki etc. are known for reliability whereas VW, BMW etc. are known for performance, built quality, aspirational value etc.

Now a layman who is not a petrolhead by nature would go for a brand as per his requirement. Suppose he wants a no non-sense car and provided he has the budget, he'll go for a Toyota or Honda and can repeat the same brand when he will exchange his old car.
Now people will say that person to be brand conscious but what he's actually doing is choosing the best for him out of the pack. Same will happen for a performance oriented guy. He'll always buy cars from brands that are know to make performance cars. This way some people may want to associate themselves with some particular brands in order to show his kind of character, which we call brand biasness, specially if he gets good support from the manufacturer. But others can simply pick the same brand by judging the product itself and not for the brand.

But yes, there is no denial the fact that in automotive industry, brand value plays a bigger role than that in any other business.
Carpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 13:26   #143
Senior - BHPian

Extremely poor, tacky humor in the opening post and I had to get it out of my system. Out of this thread too!

Ciao
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 18:18   #144
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Unneccesary and unexplainable passion for a car brand

Rohan (ducks to avoid brickbats from Maruti, Tata and Fiat fanboys)
Hahaha... I believe there are two kind of people on this earth. The first who are passionate about automobiles and the second who treat cars and bikes like modes of transport or an appliance. I dare to think you may be the second kind, to raise a thread like this.

PS: I have owned 3 Marutis and a couple of Tatas until now, and I disagree with every preconceived notion raised above. Most of the notions given out by the general public is just that, an opinion, sometimes merely on hearsay without owning the car or the brand.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 19:32   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Unnecessary and unexplainable passion for a car brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Extremely poor, tacky humor in the opening post and I had to get it out of my system. Out of this thread too!

Ciao

+1.

OP criticises TATA fanboys, FIAT fanboys, Mahindra fanboys, Skoda fanboys, Maruti fanboys and Honda fanboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have not quoted any statements from Hyundai customers because I fail to recollect such passionate comments from any Hyundai customer. What I have noticed is that most Hyundai customers speak facts rather than make passionate comments about their brand. This is purely my personal opinion, I may be wrong here.

This may also be because Hyundai makes well rounded products, not necessarily exceeding in any particular area, but making a good tradeoff in all things that matter (cost of ownership, FE, A.S.S., looks, interiors, handling etc).

If the owners of the above said brands speak highly of their products - it's fanboy'ism.

If Hyundai owners not only speak highly of their products, and create a thread to ridicule other brand owners - they 'speak facts'.

Brilliant thread. I'm also out.

PS: I own a Hyundai as well and speak as much facts about it as with my other Maruti and FIAT cars.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 20:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

I too have that passion for any Indian brand. It is mainly because I always have supported Indian brands, atleast the money I invest is still in the country. It is one way we can support in building strong nation. My sincere request Be Indian, Buy Indian.

Last edited by mercedised : 8th February 2015 at 20:14.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote