Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th June 2010, 16:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
I remember one which still is the best of the lot.

he described the Perodua Kelisa as

"a car built in a jungle clearing by people who go to work in shoes made from leaves".
I remember a TG episode where this car was 'killed'. There were protests in Malaysia. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
So, in a way, we want to defend our decision of buying that particular brand. It fulfils our own *ego*, we are in a denial mode to consider ourselves as *losers* because we bought a brand that has not great reputation and is a headache to own and live with.
Well put. I had been in denial mode myself for a few years after buying a Maruti. But at that point, I couldn't afford anything else.

Last edited by Gilead : 4th June 2010 at 16:08.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:06   #17
BHPian

"those Who Stand For Nothing Will FALL For Everything"........
sanjaymugur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:14   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Rohan

Your observations are true, except that in your case you seem to be a Hyundai Fan boy. i have noticed similar sentiments for Hyundai, Ford, Honda and Toyota, and that too in cases where the brands were taking us for a ride in terms of quality/ price etc.

Yep Hyundai has possibly more impassionate buyers (read neutral) so the instances are less. Also the in numbers Ford, Honda, Toyota has less buyers so though they are as passionate, they are less noticiable.

As DCEite said Attachement and Ego make one attached to what one buys and hence the "fanboy" impact, so it is hard to be truly detaced and neutral - (even for our mods and distiguished bhpians) but that is normal and one can see the attempt at being neutral and that makes this fine.

I in Jan bought a Nokia PDA phone N97 mini after many many years, have been using Sony PDA phones since ages, and this was in my quest for longer life and higher value & reliablity. In 5 months since purchase I have had to go to the service centre and spent time (and now possibly money) due to it having developed defect after defect. Lastest being the tendency to take in my sweat water and cause the circuit to short (never happened in any of my last 3 PDA touch screen phones from sony. Nokia has the largest following and when ever one of my earlier phones had a minor defect (not causing a visit to the service centre) I would be told by all about the reliability of the Nokia. (Obviously I now occurs to me that they were talking about the simpler masses nokia phones and not the Smart PDA phones). So having tried the brand (equivant to maurti) representing reliablity and best service centre networks, I have had the opportunity to frequently visit these and at learnt at a high cost that the nokia PDA phone reliability was a mith.

Taking the quality trait of one cateogory of product to another is the mistake I made following the fanboy advice.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Rohanji, are you from Hyundai marketing division?

I've seen you in many threads, asking people "why don't you consider Hyundai?" or "why don't you consider i10" type of questions. That speaks a lot about your passion. So, it's better that you yourself explain here, what is behind "Unnecessary and unexplainable passion for a car brand"...
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:44   #20
BHPian

+1 decite

material attachment is an inherent behavior in humans. For example

when I was a kid , among my friends only I had Hero cycle while others had atlas, hercules. But I became a hero supporter blindly without even knowing what I was supporting

Later on when I got my first bike a bajaj, I started saying it was the best brand. no idea why? And now I have a Bullet. I am willing to live with all the niggles and will promote the brand.

As I type this it occurs to me that which ever product I own, I support it always. I talk about the best traits in it. Cars, computers, laptops, cellphones, cycles etc... I do talk about the weakness but will suggest the product in majority of the scenarios
This will probably be the case with majority of the people

Last edited by indian21r : 4th June 2010 at 16:51.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Nothing about others like Hyundai, Skoda, Toyota, Chevrolet, etc, etc ?

My Reply : Of course you would have no idea if one drives a soul-less car

Runs for cover. Do not take reply to heart!!!
I think every car has a soul my friend
dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have not quoted any statements from Hyundai customers because I fail to recollect such passionate comments from any Hyundai customer.
Well dude, thats obvious. Because they got nothing to be passionate about their Korean product
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:14   #23
BHPian

But awesome discussion you have put forth Rohan.

Yes, Maruti has been given a Tag of people who produce the cheapest cars, but its because they have been in this industry for so long and have excelled where others are following in their footsteps: "They now know how to arm twist a component supplier and bring down their costs." isnt Hyundai too giving cheap cars. look at santro, Accent.
Its also because of the huge numbers they sell, Volumes bring down the costs.

OT: Walmart is cursed by its competitors because they have the cheapest things on shelves, again same strategy" more volumes, lower prices"
dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
There is only one explanation for this - Attachement.

Human beings have tendency to get attached to material belongings. Praising a brand we own gives a sense of pride, satisfaction (albeit hollow) because we have spent money on it and are attached to it.

So, in a way, we want to defend our decision of buying that particular brand. It fulfils our own *ego*, we are in a denial mode to consider ourselves as *losers* because we bought a brand that has not great reputation and is a headache to own and live with.

So - as Lord Buddha and Gita says - Attachement and Ego, are the man's greatest enemies. So true.
'

I think you have put this across in the best way possible. The above is so very true.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:27   #25
Team-BHP Support

Material attachment to one's car is fine, but lets not be like politicians, for example: if you own a car of particular brand you will have to defend the brand and cars sold by it BLINDLY.

That is the reason i removed cars i own list from my signature and might soon delete my gallery too, to avoid personal attacks.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:35   #26
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yes, this blind brand fascination is very much noticeable here in team-bhp.
I can understand and it is very natural to have loyalty to aspirational brands like Merc, BMW, Jag, ferrari etc.
But common guys, wats this thing with maruti, hyundai, fiat, toyota, honda etc..??? its just pathetic.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nothings wrong in getting associated with a car brand. Its something you buy of your hard earned money and something you buy to enjoy.
Nevertheless there should be a limit. Anyways why bother on what someone else thikns of your automobile. Take my case for example, many a people thought I was crazy to choose and buy the Xylo over the Innova. Yet it had everything I want and just went ahead and bought it. Now their view has slowly started to change.
I am a fiat car owner too, yet when it comes to bashing fiat, I am game too.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:05   #28

I agree with your observation. But I havent found maruti owners to be as passionate about their choice as you have mentioned.

Maybe when you buy a car which is a questionable choice, you tend to defend it more. I may buy a Punto soon, if I do that, I am going to fight like hell to defend my choice
sukeshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 19:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Ps- Even after 8 years of hard driving, my door handles are still intact.
Cheers and let me go into my hole before you lot come out with your brick bats again.
I was referring to poor quality plastic parts used in some recent Fiat cars. No offence taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ha ha, nicely put Rohan! May be because these cars are "stars" and yours (Hyundai) is a "character artiste"! One does not find character artiste fanclubs!
Very well said, nice analogy to cinema.

Quote:
Nothing about others like Hyundai, Skoda, Toyota, Chevrolet, etc, etc ?
Like I mentioned earlier, my knowledge, experience and research is mostly limited to hatchbacks. Other members may share their opinions on fans of these brands.

Quote:
My Reply : Of course you would have no idea if one drives a soul-less car

Runs for cover. Do not take reply to heart!!!
That is so true. I have never driven these so-called cars-with-soul. Hence, I could never understand what Fiat owners mean when they say that their car has a soul. No offense taken.

(I intend to start another thread for this purpose where Fiat owners can explain to us lesser mortals what is meant by cars with souls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Alright, here goes. Quoting Jeremy Clarikson's immortal words.
That was really hilarious. (I am short of smileys)

His statement may be true for the western world, but Hyundai is a respectable brand in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Point 2: Everybody can take a dig at every other car manufacturer. No Car (and manufacurer) is God and hence all have thier own weaknessess as thier strenghts.
I am not trying to take a dig at car brands. I have a problem with customers who blindly praise their car brand and not accept its shortcomings.

Such people even try to mislead other buyers by mentioning only positive traits of their car and not accepting its flaws or shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Rohan
Your observations are true, except that in your case you seem to be a Hyundai Fan boy.
I am not a great fan of Hyundai brand, or any brand for that matter. I purchased i10 because I found it best suited for my budget and requirements.

I would be the first one to bash Hyundai for giving a beige dashboard in i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Rohanji, are you from Hyundai marketing division?

I've seen you in many threads, asking people "why don't you consider Hyundai?" or "why don't you consider i10" type of questions. That speaks a lot about your passion. So, it's better that you yourself explain here, what is behind "Unnecessary and unexplainable passion for a car brand"...
I am just a Hyundai customer, I am not associated with Hyundai in any other way.

Yes its true that I always suggest Hyundai i10 and Santro to most first time car buyers looking for a car in 4-5 lakh range. Thats because I have driven these cars, and IMHO i10 and Santro are good city cars for a first time car buyer.

But apart from i10 and Santro, I also suggest Ritz. In fact, I really like Ritz inspite of its shape. I would have purchased Ritz if it was available in Jan 2009.

Everyone is entitled to give opinions, there is nothing wrong in that. Even GTO suggests i10 to many first time car buyers, it doesn't make him a Hyundai fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukeshs View Post
I agree with your observation. But I havent found maruti owners to be as passionate about their choice as you have mentioned.
Let me loosely mention some more common quotes from Maruti fanboys.

1. My Swift doesn't rattle at all. I don't know why people complain about rattles in Swift.

2. Who says WagonR is not suitable for highways ? I have driven my Waggy at 120+ on highways, I didn't have any problems.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 20:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Let me loosely mention some more common quotes from Maruti fanboys.

My Swift doesn't rattle at all. I don't know why people complain about rattles in Swift.
How do you know that that person is a fanboy? Maybe he got a Swift that really doesn't rattle! I'm not trying to criticize you or anything but I doubt if Maruti really has that inexplicable brand loyalty. I think most customers are really very happy with them
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote