Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th June 2010, 10:49   #61
BHPian

This thread is going nowhere, only flames and trolling.

Mods could please close it.
echo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 10:54   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
I am no car enthusiast. But I like to learn new things. Cars are new to me and Team-BHP is full of knowledge on cars. That is what keeps me here, not my passion for cars.
I would think that we want to learn about things we are passionate about. Anyway, whether you are an enthusiast or not is OT here.

Quote:
But don't you think that this might be a one-off case. If Hyundai engines were really that bad...
Could be a one-off case yes. But there are other cases too about engine issues in Hyundai cars very early on in the ownership - a search will get you those too.

Quote:
you might be aware that several Swift owners have reported clutch failure at less than 10K kms. Do you feel that clutch failure at less than 10K kms is acceptable ? Does this reflect Japanese reliability ?
Nope. Not acceptable. Reflects bad quality in part used.

Quote:
I agree that Honda and Toyota are marvels of Japanese reliability.
Who told you that ? If they were without fault, you would not have the mass recall by Toyota in the US, after many people were killed driving faulty Toyotas. Yes, killed. Much more than a clutch failure, dont you think ?

And Honda-India did a recall of their City vehicles of 2007 vintage or so. Why ? Because of a faulty switch which could lead to the vehicle catching fire. Yes, catching fire!!! I think this is worse than a car having clutch failure.

Quote:
But to compare our desi Maruti with these brands is not correct. Maruti is no Japanese brand and Maruti products are not of Honda/Toyota quality.
Actually, if you look at India, I think Honda/Toyota are not yet there to be compared with Suzuki, given that while you still have 25 year old Suzukis plying around reliably, the oldest Honda/Toyota would be just 10-12 years old. Not good enough a match in terms of long-term reliability.

Maruti might be Indian, but the technology and direction is Japanese, which makes it different from a pure Indian company like Tata.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 12:07   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
What a meaningless thread! The thread starter accuses every one of unnecessary and unexplainable passion for car brands while he himself possesses unnecessary and unexplainable passion for Hyundai cars. So according to him, while he has every right to indulge in this passion, others do not have.
very well said dude. I agree with you partly. This thread really would have been meaningful one if the thread starter did not made it like a Hyundai v/s rest debate. Isn't it true that many of the bhpians blindly defend their car's short comings. I think there is another great thread by RTECH(I think) put this thing in a much more better way than this thread.
Like someone said in some other thread which truly pointed out some points about swift diesel. Swift owners conveniently interpret
1. turbo lag as power
2. stiff ride as sporty
3. dull interiors as convenience.
I would like to ask why one should live with that when we pay almost six lakhs of our hard earned money. I own a swift vdi and i have my share of problems too and i have started a thread about it.
I never expected to hurt anyone's sentiments. But most of us are not upto the mark when criticizing their own cars and bikes. Atleast these mass production cars are not technological marvels like the Veyrons or Mclarens to blindly admire.
ganeshtvpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 13:25   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Could be a one-off case yes. But there are other cases too about engine issues in Hyundai cars very early on in the ownership - a search will get you those too.

I've heard of a number of cases where the Accent CRDi engine needed major work around the 60 - 70k mark.

Infact I've found even the Accent petrol to be pretty un-reliable though not w.r.t engines. Two of my friends kept experiencing silencer rusting issues repeatedly. Also, I've heard of the Elantra CRDi engine having problems pretty early on.

All this lead to me having an impression that the Santro and now the i10 are the only reliable cars from Hyundai. But now I even hear of lots of people having engine problems in the Santro as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
This thread is going nowhere, only flames and trolling.

Mods could please close it.
I concur that. I got the feeling that this thread is pointless from the first post itself. Besides, this thread is not adding any value to the forum.

Last edited by burnt. : 6th June 2010 at 13:28.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 18:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

I feel that this thread contains the seeds which might invite more and more fights between the fan boys.(Is there anyone here on the forum who feels so.?)

Btw, just dont bother about the Fan Boys. They're here to stay. We cant change a THING anyway.

So just live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This thread adds no value except increasing the numbers seen below the Avatars.
+1 to you CleverMax. Very well said.

Regards
Amith aka KlubClass

Last edited by Klub Class : 6th June 2010 at 18:22.
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:02   #66
BHPian

having a passion for a perticular brand is a personal issue , but i do like to say thanx to brands like SKODA and CHEVROLET for daring to bring products like RS and FORESTER to indian market !
such things will never happen again , sadly though !!!
and yes SKODA for bringing 1.8TSI laura also at affordable price
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:28   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
So you are basically saying that Maruti owners are cheap (who value low cost of ownership), Tata owners are fat (who need that extra space) and Fiat owners are maniacs (who value high speed handling over anything else).
...and that Hyundai owners are just plain boring un-passionate people?

Being unexplainably passionate for one's car/motorcycle is what the majority of TBHPians are. That's what seperates us enthusiasts from the regular Point A to B crowd. Then there are people who are unexplainably passionate about gadgets/watches/guns and lots of other stuff. There is nothing wrong in being passionate. To each his own.

Fanboys will be there (for all brands), its all part of the passion game, again nothing unnatural in it. Well, listeners must learn/research to separate the chaff from the grain when people give out advices pertaining to their favourite brand(s).
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 19:38   #68
BHPian

Hyundai is the BEST car company in India.

WHAT? How is that? Well consider this:

1. The Hyundai i10 is the best small car in India, with the most features and the best FE engine in its segment (many surveys, tests, including tests on this forum have proven this).

2. The Hyundai i20 has created an entirely new segment, that of the fully loaded, luxury small car. All other car manufacturers were taking people for a ride in the name of top end variants. Maruti for example, sold its top end (VXi) small cars without rear power windows for years! Now everyone, including the Tata's and the Fiat's are getting in line to offer top end fully loaded variants of their small cars. Why were these brands short-changing their loyalists for so long?

3. The Hyundai Verna CRDi is by far the most powerful and the most FE sedan under 9 lakhs. Dzire, City, Fiesta, Ikon, Aveo do not even come close to it (again FE and engine specs on this forum have proven this). OK, so the handling is not so great...but in a country obsessed with FE, and bumper to bumper traffic who cares about a car's handling at 110 kmph!

Which other car company makes the best car in each segment in India?

There....you were asking for a Hyundai Fanboy....here I am. NOT.

As many have said here before, a car is a reflection of one's individual choices and the decision to buy a certain brand or a car depends on so many factors. For some Styling is more important than other things and that influences the buying decision. For some others, FE, above all other things is most important, Rear seat comfort for some and Power for some others. Every car has its pro's and con's...and in a country obsessed with FE and lowest cost of ownership, we tend to put down other brands which offer more luxury and power instead of of higher FE and cheaper spares and service. In a country where the first question people will ask if they see a Ferrari is "Average kya hai?", we have't yet matured enough to appreciate an automobile for what it offers, and not put it down for what it doesn't.

Every car and car company has something good to offer. The best thing about competition is that everyone is offering the best at a certain price point, and the customer has a choice which was unimaginable 5 years ago. Let's not get into patronizing just one brand. Remember what happened when we as a nation patronized Premier Automobiles and HM. We just had 2 cars to choose from and even then there were fanboys!

Respect other people's choices. What's best for you may not be the best for someone else. Live and Let live.

Last edited by newcoolgadgets : 6th June 2010 at 19:43.
newcoolgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 11:18   #69
BHPian

My reply in bold Italics.

Quote:

1. My car has a soul, it speaks to me when I drive it.My reply : I have no idea what you're talking about.

I have recently bought a Figo after driving an Alto for 8yrs.

I have understood what handling is after driving Figo
It is a nice feeling to have power steering after 8yrs of driving a nonPS car
It is a nice feeling to have power windows(front only)
It is a nice feeling to have a electric internal ORVM adjustment
I feel excited to recieve calls on the stereo bluetooth, more so when some friend is in the car and he exclaims " what a nice feature to have"
It is a nice feeling not put off the AC when I have to overtake
It is a nice feeling when I see somebody on the road side or in other cars point out my Figo to others
It was a great feeling when a couple overtook me in a scooter asked me to stop and checked out my Figo as they were planning to buy one ( I did warn them about the bad FE in petrol)
It is a great feeling when friends say "hey, the backseat space and boot are so much more spacious than the swift"

In my opinion, a summation of these positive feelings about the car are what constitutes a "soul" for the car and not a ghost like apparition of the car talking to you.
You have already said somewhere that the car is a machine for you. For most others, car has an emotive aspect to it.If you see the ownership threads, you will see the owners giving cars names and also addressing a car as "he" or "she"

2. My car handles so well that I don't care about anything else.My reply : I don't care how well the car handles, but I ain't buying it if the door handles come off within 2 months. (pun intended)

3. Fiat A.S.S. is improving, expect it to be much better very soon.My reply : Pigs are learning to fly, expect them to fly very soon.

Both your replies are coming from reading some body else's experience, that too probably a one off incident (handle comment). If it were coming from personal experience, then such gross drastic comments may be acceptable otherwise it only goes to show that you are being a Hyundai fanboy.

By the way, I have driven Punto and I am an unabashed Fiat Fanboy!

Rohan

Last edited by Deep Blue : 7th June 2010 at 11:22.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 13:19   #70
BHPian

The idea behind atarting this thread is similar to the idea behind Punjab Kesari stories.

@Rohan - All you've done through this thread is prove that you are a hyundai fanboy and seeing that you are a Hyundai fanboy you've proven it right that people can at times have unnecessary and unexplainable passion for a brand. But still its very surprising to see someone being passionate about Hyundai!

Drive a car from a company which makes complete cars and not just powerful engines (verna), only good & beige interiors (i10), more gadgets and features only but a pathetic to drive car (i20) and even some which do have nothing at ll (Verna petrol).

The issues you've highlighted about Fiat door handles coming off is not a common issue. It's more like the friend of a fellow member had problems with Santro at 35k kms so then do we all start associating santro with premature engine failure?

@Rohan said : EPS vs HPS is an endless debate, and its a personal opinion whether one likes a light steering or a steering with feedback.

That's a shocker - who said EPS steerings do not have feedback as suggested by your post? The new BMW 5-Series has EPS so would you compare it to a Hundai stating it's light and easy to park? Gosh please don't do that. If Hyundai doesn't know making a good steering it doesn't mean that EPS is always just a light steering and good for parking.

You said Maruti was selling an age-old Wagon R but hasn't Hyundai ever done that. What about the Santro or better known as Atoz in other parts of the world. Do you think it was a new model when launched in India?
Other things you've stated about Maruti too aren't convincing at all. The reason why none of your statements can be deemed as credible or logical is because you have contradicted most of your points in the thread opening post.
lifeonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 13:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
The idea behind atarting this thread is similar to the idea behind Punjab Kesari stories.

@Rohan - All you've done through this thread is prove that you are a hyundai fanboy and seeing that you are a Hyundai fanboy you've proven it right that people can at times have unnecessary and unexplainable passion for a brand. But still its very surprising to see someone being passionate about Hyundai!

Drive a car from a company which makes complete cars and not just powerful engines (verna), only good & beige interiors (i10), more gadgets and features only but a pathetic to drive car (i20) and even some which do have nothing at ll (Verna petrol).

The issues you've highlighted about Fiat door handles coming off is not a common issue. It's more like the friend of a fellow member had problems with Santro at 35k kms so then do we all start associating santro with premature engine failure?

@Rohan said : EPS vs HPS is an endless debate, and its a personal opinion whether one likes a light steering or a steering with feedback.

That's a shocker - who said EPS steerings do not have feedback as suggested by your post? The new BMW 5-Series has EPS so would you compare it to a Hundai stating it's light and easy to park? Gosh please don't do that. If Hyundai doesn't know making a good steering it doesn't mean that EPS is always just a light steering and good for parking.

You said Maruti was selling an age-old Wagon R but hasn't Hyundai ever done that. What about the Santro or better known as Atoz in other parts of the world. Do you think it was a new model when launched in India?
Other things you've stated about Maruti too aren't convincing at all. The reason why none of your statements can be deemed as credible or logical is because you have contradicted most of your points in the thread opening post.
i think you are a ferrari fanboy ,as you are written in your profile as ferrari's are scdaled down versions of god , but looking at the f-50 , enzo , 360 modena and all othe recent products by them , do you really think so ? those are!
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 13:36   #72
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support Team.

Guys this thread is called Unneccesary and unexplainable passion for a car brand for a reason.
No one needs to justify their passion for the brand here.
Its Unneccesary and unexplainable.

Thanks,
Team BHP Support.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:07   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
i think you are a ferrari fanboy ,as you are written in your profile as ferrari's are scdaled down versions of god , but looking at the f-50 , enzo , 360 modena and all othe recent products by them , do you really think so ? those are!
LMAO - How did Ferrari come into the picture? My signature is a famous line by Jeremy Clarkson. I liked it so used it. Does that make me a fanboy? no. I am a passionate Ferrari lover, better known as Tifosi.

When did I say all Ferrari cars are what you assumed? ha ha assumptions my friend is a free for all option. keep rolling. The F50 might not be one of the best Ferraris made but can you name one car maker who never made a not so good car? The Enzo is certainly justified being close to what my signature states. Do you even know completely about the car?

BTW is this thread about Ferrari and other such brands which are purely driven by passion? Stick to the thread mate and please try to understand only what a line or a sentence states gramatically as per anylanguage. Assumptions are of no use

Let's stick to the brands broadly under discussion in the thread. PM me if you want to carry on with a senseless discussion and I will try to make sure I don't reply

Last edited by lifeonwheels : 7th June 2010 at 14:16.
lifeonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 15:40   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
If looks were the lone criteria for buying a car, Ferrari wouldnt be selling the few hundred cars they make every year.

But its the passion, the engineering and the importance to detail they put into every car that makes the difference.

Only a true petrol head can understand that.

Hope you dont have any qualms with my signature too.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 15:59   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Unneccesary and unexplainable passion for a car brand

This may a sensitive and controversial issue that I am raising on this forum. But I not able to resist the temptation.

I have been a member of this forum for quite some time now. Even outside the forum, I have observed some general behaviour of people and the way they relate to their respective brands.

So basically, what I have noticed is that some people (including Team-BHP members) have an unnecessary and unexplainable passion towards their car brand. In some instances, these people are so blinded by their passion that they can't see obvious shortcomings in their car, and if someone else mentions the same, they call him/her a brand basher and get too offensive towards that person and too defensive towards their brand.

I know that when one buys a car, he/she is not just buying a product. The customer is starting a long term relationship with the brand. Hence, the overall experienc

My experiences are mostly limited to hatchback brands. But I am sure other members would have similar experiences to share with respect to other brands and vehicle segments. We do have a lot of Mahindra, Honda and Skoda fanboys on the forum.

Rohan (ducks to avoid brickbats from Maruti, Tata and Fiat fanboys)
This is not a way to justify your car(i10) buying decision. Everybody takes right decisions and no body is wrong only criteria and taste makes your decisions.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote