Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th June 2010, 16:24   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
If looks were the lone criteria for buying a car, Ferrari wouldnt be selling the few hundred cars they make every year.

But its the passion, the engineering and the importance to detail they put into every car that makes the difference.

Only a true petrol head can understand that.

Hope you dont have any qualms with my signature too.
+1 to what you said

You have a nice signature and I completely agree with it
lifeonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 16:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

A very nice thread rohan, very different & a topic worth debating.

i wont really agree to what you said. different people with different needs & different priorities find their souls in different cars!

but i really dint like some T-BHPians comments. This is a public forum where everybody is entitled to their own opinions. some personal & unwanted comments & attacks on rohan are uncalled for.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 17:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unneccesary and unexplainable passion for a car brand
Nice way of making your 'brand' grab attention.

I personally think the thread itself leads no where!! One can definitely very well explain reasons for being passionate towards a brand. If you are comparing cars 'handling' with its door handle, IMO you wasted your time on T-BHP!!

By the way you misspelled 'Unneccesary'
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 19:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
1. My car has a soul, it speaks to me when I drive it.
My reply : I have no idea what you're talking about.

Rohan (ducks to avoid brickbats from Maruti, Tata and Fiat fanboys)
I dare say, my car does speak to me. In every driving situation, the driver puts in a set of inputs and gets a response from the machine. If the machine is able to respond, the driver receives the expected result, if not, the driver has to change the inputs. This man-machine interaction can be called "talking", "speaking". It doesnt have to be a literal audio experience. I learnt a lot about my Alto by "speaking" to it and now I am learning the Figo language!

Search hard, I am sure you will find the i10's soul as well!
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 19:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
A very nice thread rohan, very different & a topic worth debating.

i wont really agree to what you said. different people with different needs & different priorities find their souls in different cars!

but i really dint like some T-BHPians comments. This is a public forum where everybody is entitled to their own opinions. some personal & unwanted comments & attacks on rohan are uncalled for.
Thanks, I felt that this would be a nice topic to have a healthy discussion on. Since I don't feel passionately about cars and car brands, I was hoping that I could get to learn why some people have this kind of excessive passion towards cars and car brands.

I never expected everyone to agree with my thoughts/comments, otherwise there would be nothing to debate or discuss. But even when people have difference of opinions, there can be a healthy way of discussing things without making personal attacks on anyone. I guess not everyone is mature enough to understand this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Nice way of making your 'brand' grab attention.

I personally think the thread itself leads no where!! One can definitely very well explain reasons for being passionate towards a brand. If you are comparing cars 'handling' with its door handle, IMO you wasted your time on T-BHP!!

By the way you misspelled 'Unneccesary'
For the last time, Hyundai is not my brand. I just own a Hyundai car, I don't own the company.

I would never do any unnecessary (I hope the spelling is correct this time ) marketing or campaigning for them on this forum. Hyundai cars are already selling quite well, the sales figures speak for themselves.

In fact, I didn't even write anything about Hyundai in my opening post, except that I have purchased Hyundai i10. I never intended this thread to be a Hyundai vs the rest debate.

I was hoping for other members to share their opinions and similar experiences to keep this thread interesting, but it seems that people are more interested in making personal attacks on each other. Hence the thread is going nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I dare say, my car does speak to me. In every driving situation, the driver puts in a set of inputs and gets a response from the machine. If the machine is able to respond, the driver receives the expected result, if not, the driver has to change the inputs. This man-machine interaction can be called "talking", "speaking". It doesnt have to be a literal audio experience. I learnt a lot about my Alto by "speaking" to it and now I am learning the Figo language!

Search hard, I am sure you will find the i10's soul as well!
Even Korean cars speak to the driver, but the problem is that we Indians don't understand the Korean language.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 7th June 2010 at 19:35.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 19:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I don't feel passionately about cars and car brands, I was hoping that I could get to learn why some people have this kind of excessive passion towards cars and car brands.
I am passionate about cars and I am here in this forum since there are lot of folks who are equally or more passionate about cars. I believe we all are here in a forum to discuss on what we are passionate about!

Your passion for a car will ONLY help you see the soul of a car and that will speak to you. Otherwise, its a long way to go for this thread!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was hoping for other members to share their opinions and similar experiences to keep this thread interesting, but it seems that people are more interested in making personal attacks on each other. Hence the thread is going nowhere.
You start off a thread with disparaging remarks about Maruti, Tata and Fiat cars and you wanted to keep the debate interesting? Of course it was bound to get interesting, but probably not in the way you wanted to. If your tone had been more civil, things might have taken a different route. You reap what you sow.

Quote:
Thanks, I felt that this would be a nice topic to have a healthy discussion on. Since I don't feel passionately about cars and car brands, I was hoping that I could get to learn why some people have this kind of excessive passion towards cars and car brands.
You don't feel passion for cars so leave it at that. Either you feel it or you don't. I don't feel passionately about TVs and DVD players. Maybe I should start a thread to find out if others are passionate about them.

Quote:
As mentioned above, I am a Hyundai customer. I am giving open opportunity to other members to mock Hyundai fanboys.
And btw didn't you type this yourself? What's the problem now? So Hyundais got mocked. Deal with it. lol

Last edited by Gilead : 7th June 2010 at 20:21.
Gilead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:26   #83
BHPian

Quote:
If looks were the lone criteria for buying a car, Ferrari wouldnt be selling the few hundred cars they make every year.

But its the passion, the engineering and the importance to detail they put into every car that makes the difference.

Only a true petrol head can understand that.

Hope you dont have any qualms with my signature too.
you should understand the design language for that and about petrolhead , i think every person who is a member of team -bhp is a petrol head , so lets not talk about that .
and as you said though attention to details and engineering is imoptant , yes i agree fully , but not without a evocative design. i wont put my money on anything that doesnt please my eye may it be so cheap or expensive.
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Even Korean cars speak to the driver, but the problem is that we Indians don't understand the Korean language.

Rohan
How sad ! You are not listening enough.

My Alto taught me beautiful Japanese and I am also an Indian.

I am outta here
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:47   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
you should understand the design language for that and about petrolhead , i think every person who is a member of team -bhp is a petrol head , so lets not talk about that .
and as you said though attention to details and engineering is imoptant , yes i agree fully , but not without a evocative design. i wont put my money on anything that doesnt please my eye may it be so cheap or expensive.

Im very much aware of the word's meaning, thank you!

Anyways coming to the point,
Anything with a Ferrari badge sells and they have never (if im correct) had to struggle to sell a car they ever built .

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and is subjective. The Enzo may be ugly to you but there are others who put beauty aside and go for the X factor the car provides: pure thrill and the pleasure of driving it.
Anyone who buys a Ferrari even the ugliest model, is just looking for the sheer driving bliss it can provide.
Moreover, once your sitting inside the car, whats the use of looks when you can blow the opposition into the middle of next week?

A person capable of buying a Ferrari has more money than a mind full of practicality.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 21:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

I think, as one of our mates 'bblost' also mentioned previously, it's actually unexplainable.

And I think that apart from the personal experience(s), such loyalty/image is formed partly by what we hear & see in our surroundings. For instance, Fiat has a certain image in my mind, that it makes good looking cars & this is because I like their cars as well as the fact that they are Italians who are supposedly artistic. But at the same time, I have failed to have a positive image about their after sales support. What I am trying to say is that, it is also the people around us, the opinions around us & what we hear & see around us, that contributes a lot to the formation of an opinion. The opinion in question on this thread is that of a particular brand, just like we might have opinions about restaurants, watches, people, movie directors, Amir Khan etc

Regards.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 21:12   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Im very much aware of the word's meaning, thank you!

Anyways coming to the point,
Anything with a Ferrari badge sells and they have never (if im correct) had to struggle to sell a car they ever built .

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and is subjective. The Enzo may be ugly to you but there are others who put beauty aside and go for the X factor the car provides: pure thrill and the pleasure of driving it.
Anyone who buys a Ferrari even the ugliest model, is just looking for the sheer driving bliss it can provide.
Moreover, once your sitting inside the car, whats the use of looks when you can blow the opposition into the middle of next week?

A person capable of buying a Ferrari has more money than a mind full of practicality.
dear friend , money doesnt guarantee you the taste!
look around you , people have huge amounts of money but does they have a taste ? the answer is 90% doesnt . what you are talking about is , have money will buy approch and yes people have that in abandance . there are few people who understand their needs and buy accordingly rest just buy because they are expensive and has a reputation jjust for something they did in the past and ferrari is a perfect example of that , please take a note of that!
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 00:16   #88
BHPian

Quote:
look around you , people have huge amounts of money but does they have a taste ? the answer is 90% doesnt . what you are talking about is , have money will buy approch and yes people have that in abandance . there are few people who understand their needs and buy accordingly rest just buy because they are expensive and has a reputation jjust for something they did in the past and ferrari is a perfect example of that , please take a note of that!

If you read what ive written, the money factor was mentioned at the end.

Even if you have a million bucks Ferrari wont sell you a car until they have verified your credentials.

So by your statement am i to believe that people who have money and no taste go for Ferraris and a Ferrari is a characterless car?

Sports car are more of an ornament than a means of transportation. You wear it like a diamond brooch and it shows you have good taste.

Then there are a few, who like to thrash them around a track to get the kicks out of the car.

If you have lots of cash and basic needs is all that you seek to fulfil, a basic Hatch would do the trick.

But how many millionaires do we see stepping out of a cheap Fiat or Hyundai?

People say there are better alternatives to a Ferrari but in my opinion, Ferraris are for purists, people who value the name and reputation of Scuderia along with the numbers put out by the car.

Last edited by Grafin : 8th June 2010 at 00:19.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 11:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
This makes up the joke of the day, the week infact

You have judged that 90% of the rich do not have taste so who do you think we should trust when it comes to taste? should he be Quattroa4?

When you say that people buy Ferrari just because they are expensive I would advise you to use the internet and read reviews of ferrari cars in comparison to their competition across the world and that my friend should be enough to clear the clouds of doubts and let knowledge and wisdom shine at its best.

FYI Ferrari's have made more number of successful, dominating and capable cars than any other manufacturer in the world for street use. Porsche is the only other manufacturer which can stand parallel to ferrari in terms of track capability IMO.
lifeonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 11:42   #90
BHPian

The intent of the thread is good but the way it has been put in the first post would evoke unnecessary response. There can be logical counter arguments for each of the replies from Rohan even if it were read with some humor as the replies themselves have lot of judgements and conclusions on what is required and what is not. What is important to one person will be completely useless for another. Opinions from another buyer should always be taken with a pinch of salt as he would have chosen a brand / model that suits his requirements while we will have to check our requirements against the offerings.

One particular statement I couldn't agree as a car enthusiast is this-

Quote:
1. My car has a soul, it speaks to me when I drive it.
My reply : I have no idea what you're talking about.
I don't think this is specific to Fiat fanboys.
From a logical stand point yes, the car has no soul. But then for someone who is passionate about cars each and every response from the car gives him a sense that the car is interacting with him which is explained as the car having a soul. If this sense is completely not there we won't have a heavy heart when we sell our old workhorses after a long time. Humans afterall are emotional beings.
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote