Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 17:23   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The i10 to me looks like an egg. How many people can show passion for a egg?


PS:
Have a lemon first. That will change your opinion about an egg.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 18:15   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Have a lemon first. That will change your opinion about an egg.
Yeah I did. 2 of them, Bullets.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 18:16   #108
BHPian
 
Minardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
why so serious ?
i have seen people owing an RS and its a driver driven all the way , politicos just buying Q7's just because some celebrities bought so and thus every other star buyes irrespective of their needs , are they passionate or just a follower mentality ?
not everybody is rational while purchasing , thats why i said money doesnt gurantee you taste . its nothing about yours or mine tastes .the thread titles itself narrate the same thing !
Agree that not everyone who buys a car is passionate about it. But we are discussing 'taste' here, not passion.

If somebody has a follower mentality, it is only 'rational' and 'logical' that he follows celebrities. Prima facie it might look irrational to you and me, but for everyone what matters is their own rationality, logic and taste, which might be different for different people.
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 18:33   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Yeah I did. 2 of them, Bullets.
Bullets dont count. If you have a trouble free bullet then thats a lemon.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 18:35   #110
BHPian
 
quattroa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: aurangabad
Posts: 308
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
The reply dint make much sense to me but coming to the point you made.

Ferrari is a super and hyper car maker. To compete with Hyundai they have Fiat dont they.

All Ferraris(except the 348 and Testarossa) generates emotions in a petrol head more than any other(car or brand). Even if it doesnt, one test drive will do it.

Passion can be unexplained but if it is unnecessary, what is the difference between a man and an android.

In a world where we drive generic cars, the only consoling factor is to see a sports car(or if lucky, a Ferrari) and think there are other cars worth driving in this world.
ok ! lets make some sense then ,
here is the list of most beautiful ferrari's ever produced according to me ,
1> 250 GT Berlinetta SWB - 1961
2> F 40 - 1987
3>F 355 - BERLINETTA & SPIDER -1994 both looked awesome
4>288 GTO -1984
5> Testarossa 512TR- 1992
6>348 TB -1989
whats your take ? and sorry , i havent taken anyone's test ride yet, if you have taken as your reply suggests so then rate your listing accordingly .
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 19:14   #111
BHPian
 
Grafin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
ok ! lets make some sense then ,
here is the list of most beautiful ferrari's ever produced according to me ,
1> 250 GT Berlinetta SWB - 1961
2> F 40 - 1987
3>F 355 - BERLINETTA & SPIDER -1994 both looked awesome
4>288 GTO -1984
5> Testarossa 512TR- 1992
6>348 TB -1989
whats your take ? and sorry , i havent taken anyone's test ride yet, if you have taken as your reply suggests so then rate your listing accordingly .

Testarossa and the 348 were rubbish cars as far as i know but looked okay.

The F40 is a great car. To look as well as drive.

The F355 was good although the F360 was slightly better looking IMO.

The 250 GT is classy and if im correct James Coburn's 250 GT sold for $12 mil making it the most expensive car auctioned ever.

The 458 is a great looking car and it delivers all the right minerals you'd want from a Ferrari.

I havent driven a Ferrari yet but that doesnt stop me from appreciating what their cars are really made of - passion + engineering.

My list is as follows
1.250Gto
2.365 Daytona
3.F40
4.F360
5.250Gt
8.F60
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 19:59   #112
BHPian
 
Gooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 347
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

This is indeed a nice topic; but wrong choice of words. Why use the word unnecessary. We are discussing passion after all. And passion varies from null to zealous.

A passionate person might have dreamt of cars since she was a kid, it is ingrained in her, whereas her sister might have started noticing cars for the first time when she had to buy a mode of conveyance because she shifted to a new town and have to buy one for commuting.

I do not understand TVs and I know I should go for an LCD because CRTs will become obsolete soon. But what brand do I buy? I first searched online forums where passionate people gave their opinion. It confused me; everyone has different comments to make. Then I resort to word-of-mouth, I ask friends and family - again mixed opinions. Now, I am not passionate about any particular brand, but I made a very conservative decision - I bought a Sony. Though if I put this post in an electonics forum, the Samsung fanboys, to use your lingo, would give me a gazillion reasons how bad my decision was. You see, I do not understand their passion, but I DO understand that it is not unnecessary for them or pointless. Thats who they are and what they love.

When I bought my first two-wheeler it was with my father's money; I bought it because it was a compromise between his choice and mine - the very reliable and good selling Pulsar. The day I had my own money, I bought a 26 year old Royal Enfield Bullet. I had to lie to him that I bought a more conventional motorcycle because he would've blown his top off. He discovered the "lie" much later. I dreamt of a Bullet since my ears started recognizing the thump of the cast iron engine. I curse my bike at traffic, my girlfriend is tired of the oil stains on my right trouser leg, I hate the fact that most of my Saturdays are spent in the garage.

But I find peace when I take her out on a long stretch of road and let her loose, I am happiest when I hear the thump. I feel proud when people come up to me and ask which year and model. And I can go on ranting. The crux is, my bike is a part of my personality, just as the collection of DVDs and high scores for a gaming whiz.

But would I recommend a Bullet to my friend who is not passionate about motorcycles and just needs one to get her to office and back? No.

Same logic (rather illogic) while buying my car. It is infamous as a gas-guzzler and a maintenance nightmare. "No one in their sane mind buys an used Ford Ikon.", is what most people told me; but I did. Because for me the driving pleasure was the foremost criteria and in my scheme of things, outweighted everything else.

I would also like to add that I am no petrolhead. I know jack about engines and how to repair them. I cannot make out a make, model, variant by looking at just the door handle of the car. But I love cars and motorcycles.
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 21:33   #113
BHPian
 
quattroa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: aurangabad
Posts: 308
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Testarossa and the 348 were rubbish cars as far as i know but looked okay.

The F40 is a great car. To look as well as drive.

The F355 was good although the F360 was slightly better looking IMO.

The 250 GT is classy and if im correct James Coburn's 250 GT sold for $12 mil making it the most expensive car auctioned ever.

The 458 is a great looking car and it delivers all the right minerals you'd want from a Ferrari.

I havent driven a Ferrari yet but that doesnt stop me from appreciating what their cars are really made of - passion + engineering.

My list is as follows
1.250Gto
2.365 Daytona
3.F40
4.F360
5.250Gt
8.F60
now here what are you reffering as F60 ? is it enzo you are reffering to or the formula 1 car ? enzo is not an F60
about the F360 ,if you are saying that you like it then frankly i cant do anything about that as its the most hidious car ever designed by them .
rest of the cars you mentioned are all of foregone era . so the point is ferrari doesnt make evocative cars any more however technologically advance they are .
and what passion , passion ? others are passionless or what ? look at the lambo's line up and you will be taken deep down on your knees mr.
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 22:11   #114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Just to make it interesting, here are the types of car owners I have seen Feel free to add your versions
Oh man, I had a good laugh when I read that. I guess I would be a mix of the 1st two options.

As for this thread, after going though the posts, I forgot what the topic was so went all the way back to get a jest of it all. Come to think of it, I agree that Maruti, Fiat and Tata owners take their choices seriously. I am a Maruti owner and love my car, but have learned that she has plenty of issues. Alignment is a major concern and build quality is not up to the mark. But hey, a Zen was never meant to be a luxury ride. It fit my budget and am enjoying ever moment of her. Come to think of it, there is no perfect car. Some one on this forum has a very nice signature/tag line and I would like to quote it:-

Fast and reliable is not cheap
Cheap and fast is not reliable
Reliable and cheap is not fast
(not in order, but you get the idea!)

Welcome to the real world.
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 00:18   #115
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

@Gooney, awesome post. BTW, Ikon1.6, I presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
Its great that people are fighting over supercar brands, it takes some of the heat off me.
Actually it is much more than that - they are proving your point right. By debating heatedly over cars that they had not driven and maybe not even seen in the flesh (metal), they are proving your point that passion is unexplainable.

Anyway, can we get back to our Puntos, Swifts, Vistas and the eggs & lemons ? The cars that we really own, drive and are passionate about.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 00:40   #116
BHPian
 
Grafin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
now here what are you reffering as F60 ? is it enzo you are reffering to or the formula 1 car ? enzo is not an F60
about the F360 ,if you are saying that you like it then frankly i cant do anything about that as its the most hidious car ever designed by them .
rest of the cars you mentioned are all of foregone era . so the point is ferrari doesnt make evocative cars any more however technologically advance they are .
and what passion , passion ? others are passionless or what ? look at the lambo's line up and you will be taken deep down on your knees mr.
F60 the F1 car duh.
If i meant the Enzo i wouldve written the same.

Im not looking at the 360 just for its looks(although i like it), but as a complete upgrade over the 355. Beauty is also subjective if i may mention and differs from eye to eye(or generation).

For me the the ugliest is the Ferrari 400i Meera . A total eyesore.

Lambos are good. Correction, they were great until VW took over.
Now everything is done the same German way the rest of the cars in VW's marque are dealt with. Some how the lunacy has been lost in the buy over by VW.
The Gallardo and the R8 are same underneath and the rest of the cars have the same Quattro system Audi developed.
Although i must admit, the Balboni is a gem and the SV a total mad hat super car.
But they nevertheless have toned down from a lunatic super car maker they once were, to Audi/VW's sublime and articulate way of building cars.

According to me , Ferrari has the richest heritage in building cars and sticking to the the same old principles and goals, in addition to evolving with time to make some amazing cars which im sure is not pleasing your senses in any way but is appealing to people like me.

Cheers and i hope that ends the debate we are having, indulging in a subject way off topic to the thread, but nevertheless was interesting to me at least.

Last edited by Grafin : 9th June 2010 at 00:43.
Grafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 00:51   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

If it has to be an unnecessary unexplainable passion car brand, for me it is Mitsubishi. Anymore explanation beats the title of this thread.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2010 at 14:24. Reason: unnecessary + explanation - spellings corrected on request.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:26   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Bullets dont count. If you have a trouble free bullet then thats a lemon.
A trouble free Bullet is a myth.

But getting the Bullets here is interesting.

One suggestion for rohan_iitr, start a thread Unneccassary and unexplainable passion for Bullets in the Motorcycles Thread. We will have a party

But coming back to the topic. If you can call a spade a spade we would be living in a far better automotive world.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:55   #119
BHPian
 
Gooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 347
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Gooney, awesome post. BTW, Ikon1.6, I presume.
Thanks supremeBaleno. No it is a 1.3 pushrod. I wanted a gen-1 Zen, but people were qouting outrageous amounts for them and as an act of defiance I got the Ikon and "am loving it"
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 11:13   #120
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 938
Thanked: 301 Times
Default

It was Ferrari for me during Michael Schumacher days simply because I owned a Fiat UNO and Fiat had just bought Ferrari and I never considered my Uno any less than a Ferrari
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars subscrive Technical Stuff 188 4th April 2017 15:04
An engineer by degree , manager by profession and an adrenaline junkie by passion. adithyakini Introduce yourself 3 3rd August 2012 18:03
Passion for cars and having big time money..Ultimate combo for a great life? Dippy Shifting gears 21 18th April 2009 17:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks