Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th April 2011, 12:45   #421
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15

Have a simple question, since the Swift is going to come with the changes at the platform level.
Does anyone know of changes to be done to the Swift Dzire, is the panel of Dzire also changing or is it only to the Swift models.
Old 10th April 2011, 16:10   #422
BHPian

Angry Re: Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15

Just had a chat with the Maruti Dealer. The launch earlier scheduled for some time in May has probably been postponed to July.

I have been waiting for nearly 10 months now and my patience has run out. With hot Delhi weather and monsoons round the corner, I think its time I should go for the Ford Figo. No point in waiting for the launch and then waiting again for the delivery.
Old 10th April 2011, 16:57   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Have a simple question, since the Swift is going to come with the changes at the platform level.
Does anyone know of changes to be done to the Swift Dzire, is the panel of Dzire also changing or is it only to the Swift models.
I dont think there is a change in platform level. The height is reduced a bit and it is longer and wider. So expect better handling characteristics as well as more space. (except headroom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jods View Post
Just had a chat with the Maruti Dealer. The launch earlier scheduled for some time in May has probably been postponed to July.

I have been waiting for nearly 10 months now and my patience has run out. With hot Delhi weather and monsoons round the corner, I think its time I should go for the Ford Figo. No point in waiting for the launch and then waiting again for the delivery.
Figo is a great car but the 1.2L petrol motor is too sluggish. With AC on it cant even beat the cheapest Nano. So if you are planning for a petrol it is worth the wait.

Figo diesel is no scorcher but can compete well with its rivals. And if you dont plan on taking it much on highways it is definitely a better choice. (no turbo lag). Also it is around 40K cheaper than the existing swift. So considering the new swift that margin is further going to increase, Figo is definately a good buy in the diesel avatar.
Old 10th April 2011, 17:49   #424
Senior - BHPian

@oxyzen, do you have more details on the tune of the diesel engine? is it the 90BHP version? I hope no VW 3 pot enigne.

Quote:

You sure about the launch or it's just a dealer trick to push out old stock.

Last edited by dinar : 10th April 2011 at 17:51.
Old 10th April 2011, 19:03   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Figo is a great car but the 1.2L petrol motor is too sluggish. With AC on it cant even beat the cheapest Nano. So if you are planning for a petrol it is worth the wait.

Figo diesel is no scorcher but can compete well with its rivals. And if you dont plan on taking it much on highways it is definitely a better choice. (no turbo lag). Also it is around 40K cheaper than the existing swift. So considering the new swift that margin is further going to increase, Figo is definately a good buy in the diesel avatar.
I am planning for Figo Diesel. The AC is good and much better than i20. My close friend bought it last year and I have driven it for more than 2000 kms in the city as well as on highway. Never had any problem. The car is good, its just that the interiors of new Swift appear to be much better than those of Figo's.

@dinar I don't know, it could very well be a dealer ploy. But given the fact that the Swift Vdi has a nearly 2 month waiting in Delhi, I am not sure how the dealer can gain by telling this lie. To me he would actually gain by asking customers to by new Swift as it would be slightly costlier and therefor have a slightly higher profit.
Old 10th April 2011, 21:16   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
@oxyzen, do you have more details on the tune of the diesel engine? is it the 90BHP version? I hope no VW 3 pot enigne.
It is not the 90 bhp version. It will never be VW's 3 pot. There is a change in ECU tuning and it is rumored to be better than the existing one.

Quote:
I am planning for Figo Diesel. The AC is good and much better than i20. My close friend bought it last year and I have driven it for more than 2000 kms in the city as well as on highway. Never had any problem. The car is good, its just that the interiors of new Swift appear to be much better than those of Figo's.
If you read the international reviews about Swift, the interior built quality is still poor. But the design is pretty good IMHO. I20 diesel does not have the handling capabilities of Swift or Figo. It is a good decision to keep I20 out of picture. So even if you are planning on a Diesel, it is better to wait for the new Swift, which is 3 months away and then make a decision. If you are in a hurry you can't go wrong with a Figo Diesel.
Old 10th April 2011, 22:00   #427
BHPian

I am planning to book one this week. Any idea what delivery waiting periods could be expected even after it's launch?
Old 10th April 2011, 23:46   #428
Senior - BHPian

In Hungary, both the products are sold side-by-side as 'Swift' and 'New Swift'. If it can happen in Hungary, it will also happen here in India for sure, IMO!

There are more reasons to think like that.

1. Figo has slowly started eating into the Swift sales, and Ritz - though doing well at around 6000 - 7000 cars a month - is not completely resisting the rise of these new models (mostly because of its rear end). So, Maruti may keep the existing Swift at the current price level as a still-strong competitor to those models.

2. Maruti needs a car in the B++ segment. As they don't have any other new model in the international market or even in 'scoops' (), they may introduce the 'New Swift' at a premium in the B++ segment.

BTW, posting a picture of the new Swift. It's really smashing in this colour, and looks distinctly different from the current model, IMO. The changes to the A-pillar and door-roof joining section has given it a more sharper and manly look.
Attached Images

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th April 2011 at 23:53.
Old 11th April 2011, 09:58   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
It is not the 90 bhp version. It will never be VW's 3 pot. There is a change in ECU tuning and it is rumored to be better than the existing one.
That's good news if not great news, 90BHP would have been fun but this works as well . The engine is what makes it a fun car.Thanks for the Update.

Last edited by dinar : 11th April 2011 at 10:00.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:03   #430
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

How Maruti handles the transition from the old swift to the new swift or if it keeps both models going will be quite tricky. The key reason is that they have a 6 month back log of orders, and once a the new one is introduced a lot of the existing bookers may want to go in for the newer swift even if it is priced higher.

It will make an interesting study and maruti will have to work hard to prevent chaos.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:04   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
In Hungary, both the products are sold side-by-side as 'Swift' and 'New Swift'. If it can happen in Hungary, it will also happen here in India for sure, IMO!

BTW, posting a picture of the new Swift. It's really smashing in this colour, and looks distinctly different from the current model, IMO. The changes to the A-pillar and door-roof joining section has given it a more sharper and manly look.
Yes the car looks smashing in this color. Hope they launch this color in India as well.

I doubt they will sell both the swifts here together. That will be too much of an overlap, with not a significant difference between the 2 cars in looks.

If there is a truth in your statement, what we can possibly be sure is that the new swift may be launched in VVT petrol as well as 90BHP diesel to differentiate it from the current swift, which in my opinion may not be a bad idea at all.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:08   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I strongly doubt that. It may work in the short term but will be bad for the Gen2 in long term. To position Swift Gen2 just above the existing model, MSIL will have to charge a premium for the Gen2 or offer good discounts on the existing model. This will make the Gen2 overpriced and will look silly when stronger competition arrives in the future. Also, providing discounts/ freebies on the existing model will dilute the brand 'Swift' which is still going strong and mainly so on the 'brand image' even after so many years. Even after 5 years, MSIL doesn't give any discounts on the Swift to propel sales and that is saying something.

And, All the manufacturers who have tried this trick (of selling 2 models side by side) has faltered in the long run. The new model will be highly overpriced to accomodate the 2 models in the same segment and this has prevented the new model from becoming the success it would have otherwise with a more aggressive/ right pricing. Case in point Verna, Laura etc. And kudos to Honda to never do it with the City upgrades. This is one reason for the strong success of all new City avatars.

And to make things worse, the Gen2 Swift is not all that different from the existing one, so MSIL will find it tough to position both of them together in the crowded B segment. If MSIL had the courage to pull out the old WagonR, which was going strong, the existing Swift' case will be no different.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:32   #433
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The New Gen Metalic Grey Swift in the pictures looks superb, with all the improvements in interiors detailed in the various publications and the evergreen looks being retained, this might go on to be my first suzuki.

Retaining the existing model will indeed be bad in the long run and will impact the new model itself. They should give all people in the queue for one to either buy the new one (at a marginal price hike) or get the existing one at a marginal discount.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:51   #434
BHPian

I don’t think Maruti will place the look alike old & new Swift together as they don’t want to add to the confusion of a potential buyer.
As rightly pointed they will go with the Wagon R way by simply replacing the old with the new, but the million dollar question is when is the launch? we still don’t have any confirmed new yet.

My take is that dealers are taking advantage and smartly pocketing easy deposits from potential customers.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:55   #435
BHPian

The car does look meaner !! I like the new lights, they give a totally new feel to the eye when you see the car.The interiors in the shown models are really awesome ! Hope that maruti does a fair job with the interiors too. This new boy is sure going to take all its counterparts for some ride though...
Talking of counterparts, which cars can face tough competition from the gen 2 of the swift ?? Does someone have any idea about the expected launch dates and prices for India ??
Closed Thread