Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th June 2011, 11:54   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
remember guys they haven't reduced the price of Swift also after the introduction of 1.2 K-series engine in it.
One of the reasons they didn't reduce the price of 1.2L engine is because of the run away success of the swift. If the sales were average, they would definitely have reduced the price. There are also views that K-Series engines are expensive to manufacture than the old G13B engines and hence the price was not reduced - am not sure about this point though.

Now coming to the Dzire part, its better for Maruti to reduce the prices to remain competitive to Etios pricing. In no time Toyota has reached the level of petrol Dzire sales and with the launch of Etios D, am sure they will move lot further, the only restricting part being the production capacity. If Maruti was not keen on reducing prices, why do you think they have attempted a CS version ?
Old 4th June 2011, 11:59   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
nurni76, hold on your horses mate. This may not be the sub 4 metre Dzire, & even the pictures do not suggest that it is under 4 metres in length. Please refer ACI's article on the above:
New Dzire to get shorter, cheaper | Autocar India

So price reduction may not be possible for the new Dzire.
But, I have no doubts that it will sell well when launched, like the current model.
This has to be the dzire CS, coz as per ACI the new Dzire (full length) will be coming in only by 2014. The rendering therefore is the Dzire compact. They are doing this to get ED benefit and counter Etios which they feel is a big threat (insider info) and thus it may be priced slightly lower than the current dzire. Anyways all we can do now is wait.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:51   #648
BHPian

It seems that autocar has spied the new dezire. I saw the pic in the motoroids website and the newer version looks much better. New Swift Dzire : Spied
Old 8th June 2011, 14:59   #649
BANNED

Got this update at my FB profile from 'Car & Bike Show on NDTV'-

'Maruti Chairman tells NDTV: Working on strategy for launch of new Swift and cannot talk abt launch date. Delayed further methinks, SVP'

Do Check it out at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...eply#!/cnbshow
Old 8th June 2011, 15:21   #650
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Maruti Should launch the new SWIFT by Diwali and not wait till the Auto Expo. Toyota Liva is coming out in the next month or so and you dont want Maruti to wait too long.
Secondly, I strongly believe that the Etios and the Liva, even if available in Diesel will not pull significant numbers from the Swift / Dzire. Many people who I know test drove the Etios and were highly disappointed. One my of friends has cancelled his Etios booking and booked the new verna. Whereas another friend of mine who sold his swift 2 months ago found the Etios too 'flimsy'. I know that these are just personal experiences, but when non-petrol heads themselves can feel the build quality of a car, then it says a lot.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:23   #651
BHPian

Do the Moderators have any idea when the New Swift will be launched? I'm in the market for a diesel hatch, and the Swift Zdi(if at all it comes) seems to be a perfect car for the long run.
The i20 Crdi is not only too expensive, but with the rattling, I'm not too convinced.
The Figo i think is underpowered(or so I'm told)
Not too Keen on the fabia
Old 8th June 2011, 16:31   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Do the Moderators have any idea when the New Swift will be launched? I'm in the market for a diesel hatch, and the Swift Zdi(if at all it comes) seems to be a perfect car for the long run.
The i20 Crdi is not only too expensive, but with the rattling, I'm not too convinced.
The Figo i think is underpowered(or so I'm told)
Not too Keen on the fabia
You can try out Ritz diesel, if rear shape is not a concern. It has got plenty of space, non-rattling body plastics, can cruise comfortably up to 110- 120 kmph just like its sibling Swift.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:59   #653
BHPian

imo - the car looks out-dated now.

with the current generation of futuristic looking cars like the i20, to be launched for fiesta(though a tad expensive), micra and punto - this design is slightly oldish to look at.

was hoping that maruti would come up with an all new vehicle - other than just the botox type treatment it has given to the swift to make it look younger.

disappointed
Old 8th June 2011, 17:42   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

with the current generation of futuristic looking cars like the i20, to be launched for fiesta(though a tad expensive), micra and punto - this design is slightly oldish to look at.
IMO, even the i20 looks old and boring now, just like any other Hyundai whose designs seem to be aging much faster than other manufacturers's designs.
Old 8th June 2011, 18:26   #655
BHPian

^^ yes only the VW Polo(in red) looks modern in current crop of Hatchbacks. I hope Maruti launches the new swift soon. It will also look good in red.

Last edited by ashok_lat : 8th June 2011 at 18:37.
Old 8th June 2011, 21:39   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15

Quote:

was hoping that maruti would come up with an all new vehicle - other than just the botox type treatment it has given to the swift to make it look younger.

disappointed
Hi samyakmodi,

Like many have stated before, the new Swift is a totally new car. Internationally, it is the 3rd generation of the Swift. The first Gen was our Esteem and the second is our current Swift. So it is Gen 2 here for us.

The story that I have read behind the design of the new Swift is actually very interesting. A good five years ago Suzuki sent 2 teams of designers to Europe for 6 months. One group stayed in France and the other took residence in Italy. The French and the Italians have arguably designed some of the best looking cars in the world, so it’s self-explanatory why they based themselves there. The French team designed a car which was candidly different to the current Swift, while the Italian team decided to stick with the theme of the current model and modernize it. And as we know now, the Italian team got the nod of approval.

So the philosophy was, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by deetjohn : 8th June 2011 at 21:42. Reason: Rewording
Old 9th June 2011, 10:00   #657
BHPian

But everything said and done. When swift was first launched it was a pleasant sight to sore eyes, but this one looks a bit wierd as only noticable changes are longer headlamps and tailamps (the rear looks like the i20).

The lines are still the same. The italians do improvise on the current vehicles, but their vehicles are pretty good looking and timeless to start with. That wasn't the case with the swift in my opinion.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:13   #658
e46
BHPian

My take on the delay thing:
MS should understand, the new Swift is not radically New, and peoples perception on how it looks plays a serious game while deciding which car to go for. So, banking on customer's patience for a ridiculous duration could play detrimental to the interests of the company.
For a company whose Indian sales constitutes a lion share of the company's turnover, it is pertinent that they pay some heed to the market demand. This is sure complacence and not expected from a company like MS.
Old 9th June 2011, 17:23   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
IMO, even the i20 looks old and boring now, just like any other Hyundai whose designs seem to be aging much faster than other manufacturers's designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
^^ yes only the VW Polo(in red) looks modern in current crop of Hatchbacks. I hope Maruti launches the new swift soon. It will also look good in red.
I think soon we will be tired for VW too. It's the family look which seems to be killing the 'new look' factor sooner than later. I20 and Verna are such similar looks from the front though I am yet to see one on the road. Same with Polo, Vento and probably Jetta (not sure about Passat). They look nice now but for how long? Same logic could apply to Punto & Linea too but one doesn't see them often enough.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:30   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But everything said and done. When swift was first launched it was a pleasant sight to sore eyes, but this one looks a bit wierd as only noticable changes are longer headlamps and tailamps (the rear looks like the i20).

The lines are still the same. The italians do improvise on the current vehicles, but their vehicles are pretty good looking and timeless to start with. That wasn't the case with the swift in my opinion.
I am not able to understand what you are trying to say here. In the first part, you say that the current Swift was a pleasant sight to sore eyes and towards the end, it is like "not pretty good looking and timeless to start with".

I think Suzuki took a very bold step with the design of the current Swift. They clearly went for 'form over function' so that the production model looked path breaking and it wasn't too different from the Concept-S. So I guess they can afford to go for an evolution rather than revolution.

But, MSIL is not doing it right by depriving our market with the latest offering close to one year after the global launch.
Closed Thread