Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th December 2005, 15:38   #16
BHPian

Default RC book and car model year

Does the RC book carry information about temp. registration? ... particularly the date?

2nd hand (and further) resale of a car very much depends upon its "model" year, which I believe is the year in which it was REGISTERED for the first time as per the RC book, not the actual year of manufacturing (please correct me if I am wrong!) So I wanted to push my new car purchase to jan-06... the sales guy suggested me to get a temporary registration now (dec-05) and then the permanent one in the next month. I just wanted to double check, hence the query...
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 10:30   #17
BHPian

Default Temporary registration in Bangalore?

Hi
I am buying an innova this month

Can someone in Bangalore please verify:

- Is a temporary registration allowed here? For 1 month?
- Is it done on a bangalore address or some round about out of town address?
- Is the dealer responsible for getting you a permament reg after 1 month or do we have to run around on our own?
- Should the dealer charge anything for temp registration? Nandi toyota is asking for Rs 1000.
- To avail the 80,000 discount on innova, need to take delivery in december. From a resale value perspective, since the manufacturing date will always show 2005, should i just go ahead and register in december or will have a slight advantage by doing a temp registraion now and doing a permament reg in january?

Thx
Manish
manishk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 10:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk13
Hi

Can someone in Bangalore please verify:

- Is a temporary registration allowed here? For 1 month?

- Should the dealer charge anything for temp registration? Nandi toyota is asking for Rs 1000.
A maruti sales guy suggested me to get temp. registration, so I guess it must be allowed here.
Regarding the period he said it is valid for max 1 month, and extra charge required matches with what nandi-toyota has given... about 1K. He also promised to follow up on their own to make it permanent, so hope I should not be made to face RTO hassles

waiting for answers to other questions...
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 16:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabcd
Not sure if this will help anyone-but for whatever it is worth, so anyone looking for this information in future isn't left stranded.

1. It is okay to go for temporary registration in NCR-a Haryana temp registration can work in Delhi too (or for that matter anywhere else in India)
2. Cops let you be even if the car is registered in Haryana but you drive in Delhi. Obviously there is a risk if your residence is not in Delhi itself.

BTW-I got my new car-an Accent GLS, already having teething problems, but that's an entirely different story.
Zabcd (or anyone else) - any idea what the authorities in Haryana accept as proof of residence? We have just taken possession of our apartment in Gurgaon and do not have any phone or utility bills yet - we just have the possession letter from the builder, is that enough proof?

Difference in road tax between Delhi & Haryana is almost 23k on the Fiesta!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 15:36   #20

Exclamation

Anybody aware about the rules for Maharashtra RTO?
amitcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 09:22   #21
BHPian

Is it true that if the vehicle is being financed by a bank, it is the dealer's responsibility to register the vehicle and the dealer cannot hand over the vehicle after doing a temporary registration? I ask as I wanted to do the registration myself - next year and in the process save some money. 6K for registration is daylight robbery. From what I've read on these forums, it should not be more than a few hundred rupees. The dealers are insisting that I get the bank approval for temp registration. I thought I'd check here before calling the manager of SBH.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:02   #22
BHPian

Default Temp registration confusion

Hi all,

I am in a similar situation. We wanted to take the delivery of Ritz during navratras but the colour of our choice, White ZXI, is not available. Alternative option that the dealer is offering is that we get a silver ZXI (which we are ok with) but he says that this would be registered in Gurgaon against a temporary number and then within 6-7 working days, he would get it registered (permanent) in our name at our Delhi address.

My confusion is that if we take this approach, could we face any issues down the line, especially since we do not have any address proofs in Gurgaon (we stay in Dwarka, Delhi). Also, would there be a price difference if we purchase the car from Gurgaon and get it registered in Delhi later (through the dealer).

advice as I have no idea about registration related rules.

Regards,
SK
sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:46   #23
BHPian

I have another doubt concerning T/R registrations. My Ritz Zxi which was delivered on Saturday, and bought in my name, has a T/R registration, and I have the certificate of that stating that it is valid for a month. I intend to do a road trip covering A.P, Orissa and W.B. The dealer said you can do it with the T/R registration, there will be no issue. Can anybody throw some light on this? I am pushing the dealer to get then permanent number by the end of this week, so that I can embark with a proper number, but just in case that fails, I will have to go with the T/R registration, so any help here will be great. Thanks.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 19:42   #24
BHPian

Reviving this thread again, the dealer based in Delhi is asking for Rs 1500 for Temp registration in Delhi. I am not sure if that is the fees for a temp number in Delhi. Can anyone who has got it done please confirm?

EDIT: Got it! Sub-rule 11 of Rule 34 of Delhi Motor Vehicle Rules, 1993. The fee is Rs 200. Time to talk.

Last edited by setuniket : 29th September 2010 at 19:51.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 21:43   #25
BHPian

i took my linea with a temp regn from faridabad. the temp regn is valid for one month. i had no problem driving with a temp regn in delhi/noida/ghaziabad. i once even got stopped for overspeeding at 63km/h in noida. he issued me a challan as speed limit in noida is supposed to be 50km/h but he didint say anything about the temp regn. he even wrote temp registered on the challan slip.

by the way, the dealer charged rs 600 for temp regn.
car-dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 22:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Please view this website link of the Delhi rto:-

Transport Department
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpts from this link:-

Can a Vehicle be driven without registration?
No, the dealer cannot deliver unregistered vehicles to the customers. The dealer gets the vehicle registered in the name of customer first then will hand over the vehicle to the customer. If Un-registered vehicle is found plying on the road shall be liable to be prosecuted under MV Act. A trade certificate is issued to the dealers by the Transport Department to drive the unregistered vehicles upto the zonal office for registration purposes only.

What is the procedure for temporary registration?
As per the provision of section 43 of the central motor vehicle Act temporary registration certificate can be given to a vehicle only in case when owner of a vehicle wants to take his vehicle to the other state. Maximum period of validity of temporary registration made under this section is one month and it is not renewable.
The temporary registration is also known as transit registration because the destination point is also mentioned in it where the vehicle has to reach. This registration is done at M.L.O. (HQ). The Transport Department can also delegate this registration power to the vehicle manufacturers or other concerned zonal offices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It states that as per the MV Act the dealer issues a certificate to ply the vehicle between the dealership premises to the RTO for registration purposes only.
There is however an exception to this rule, universally applicable everywhere in India.The dealer issues a certificate for the motor vehicle for a specific period (if the owner so desires so) to be driven by self propulsion to another state or U/T with the concurrence of the RTO. The temporary number plate is displayed in such cases prominently on the front and rear of the motor vehicle.
This particular exception is applied always by manufacturers of trucks and other commercial vehicles that are driven by self propulsion from the factory to the showrooms with temporary, yellow number plates with red alpha numericals.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th September 2010 at 22:39.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 13:04   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Help with Temporary Registration

Hello guys, are there any charges for the temporary registration? I am enquiring for a new car and the salesman said you'll need to pay Rs. 1000 for temporary registration.
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hello guys, are there any charges for the temporary registration? I am enquiring for a new car and the salesman said you'll need to pay Rs. 1000 for temporary registration.
Rs.1000 is good! A friend of mine has enquired to pick up a Micra here in Bangalore and he is being quoted Rs.7000 for a temporary registration number!

My question is, can my friend get a temporary registration number from the RTO himself instead of paying a bomb to the dealer?

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 21:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: Help with Temporary Registration

Sorry for digging out an old thread guys! My friend has purchased a car lying at the warehouse, unregistered for a about two years. The car in question is a Ford Fiesta, which has now been invoiced at 4.4 Lakhs only. It is a BS III vehicle and hence cannot be registered inside Chennai city. So He wants to get a temporary registration and take it to his home town, where BS III cars can be registered and do the permanent registration. A broker, who has promised him to get a temporary registration from Chengalpet, has asked him to pay Rs 10,000 ! When I interrogated the broker, he gave the following explanation:
>The car is two years old and hence cannot be registered by an individual.
>The car has an invoice value lesser than a brand new Fiesta, hence RTO officer would ask for special notary consent.
>A pollution certificate would be required as the date of manufacture is two years ago, hence pollution certificate validity would not be there.

Though I agree with the above three points, the quoted 10K was way too much I felt and have asked my friends to wait. Please help me out guys!
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 10:02   #30
BHPian

Reviving an old thread:
My dealer, Sai Service Andheri, is forcing me to take delivery of Alto 800 on 30th April i.e. tomorrow on temporary registration since the SA has to meet his sales target. He is saying, "Don't drive the car, keep it in your building, and the permanent registration will come by next week."

Shall I trust him and take the delivery? What will be the problems that I might face if I take the delivery on temporary registration?
subhro1988 is offline   Reply With Quote