Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th June 2010, 12:54   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a good feature even for experienced drivers, the newer better cars are tending to be quiter and quiter and one can't really figure out the gear one is in just by the sound and shifting up or down is something that one does based on the tacho.

Yep it becomes second nature after driving a specific car for a while, but for each new car that one drives, it is best to get acquainted with the ideal gear conditions before defying them in the know.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 13:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It is a good feature even for experienced drivers, the newer better cars are tending to be quiter and quiter and one can't really figure out the gear one is in just by the sound and shifting up or down is something that one does based on the tacho.

Yep it becomes second nature after driving a specific car for a while, but for each new car that one drives, it is best to get acquainted with the ideal gear conditions before defying them in the know.
Completely agree. Especially if you drive the petrol i20, inside the cabin with all windows shut, you don't get to hear the engine screaming till about 3500 RPM ... and that is probably not the best rpm to upshift. So one needs to look at the tacho while shifting. Now one can look at the shift indicator too.

As someone pointed out that frequently looking into this shift indicator might be dangerous during driving, a helpful feature could have been a beep sound. Whenever the shift arrow displays, a beep would alert the driver that he needs to shift (up/down).
p'arth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 16:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Completely agree. Especially if you drive the petrol i20, inside the cabin with all windows shut, you don't get to hear the engine screaming till about 3500 RPM ... and that is probably not the best rpm to upshift. So one needs to look at the tacho while shifting. Now one can look at the shift indicator too.

As someone pointed out that frequently looking into this shift indicator might be dangerous during driving, a helpful feature could have been a beep sound. Whenever the shift arrow displays, a beep would alert the driver that he needs to shift (up/down).
My thoughts exactly, looking at the tacho needle is much easier then looking down at the odo. They should have given some kind of buzz when its time to up shift or down shift. Or something like the Manza, the tacho needle lights up when a gear change is required.

Last edited by MihirC : 29th June 2010 at 17:01.
MihirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 17:11   #19
BHPian

Is this only on the CRDI or is it on the petrol too?
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 17:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

My cousin got his i20 petrol 2 weeks ago. drove it last weekend. even his car has the shoft indicator. his is a Asta variant. not sure if that feautre is common across all variants.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 15:47   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[Well whatever it is, this is another first from Hyundai and it is keeping us surprised both sides (i20 on the positive extreme and Verna on the negative).
The new Superb M/T has a similar shift indicator too. Good for newbie drivers, or those unfamiliar with the power delivery characteristics of an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
My thoughts exactly, looking at the tacho needle is much easier then looking down at the odo.
99% of the junta out there doesn't know how to use the rpm meter. This is Gear-Shifting-101 for them.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 19:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Or something like the Manza, the tacho needle lights up when a gear change is required.
the tacho turns red in the manza only at the redline.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 19:20   #23
BHPian

Guys, its common to all new i20s, but not sure how new is new. My friend got an i20 Magna(petrol) on 6th June, I drove it to Tirupati last weekend, And while driving I saw this feature, it not only shows the upshift but downshift too. My friend is new to driving and he finds this usefull.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 20:21   #24
BHPian

I for one like this tool. I think its nice to have an on-board device telling you when to up/down shift the gears. But this means you need to keep toggling your vision between the road and the HUD and can be a potential hazard on certain roads. Like GTO said, Gear Shifting 101 lessons for a newbie driver. Not a bad tool to have if you are a seasoned driver either. Its like playing a real time car racing video game
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 23:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

The manual transmission indicator with gear display is only standard on the CRDi.
This feature is badged as the eco drive in the UK and it too gets this and the new blue coloured LED illumination.
But this all black UK spec interior looks quite classy.
It gets bluetooth connectivity too. look carefully at the HU in the first pic for "bluetooth" word inscribed on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Manual Transmission Shift Indicator on the new i20-hyundaii203.jpg  

Manual Transmission Shift Indicator on the new i20-hyundaii202.jpg  

sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 00:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The manual transmission indicator with gear display is only standard on the CRDi.
Nope. Its there on the petrol variant too.
Attached Images

DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 17:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree. Although i usually judge shifts based on my instincts this can be useful to people at times. Its hard to hear the engine sound inside especially if its a petrol variant like i have. Plus if you have stereo on then you only have the slight change in the engine vibrations to indicate that your rpms are going higher. So this can come in handy. But my only complaint is that it shows up in the display which is at the bottom part of the instrument console and it can be quite an effort to look at it especially if youre driving in traffic. Also the tilt and turn of the steering can also cause visibility issues. Shouldve been made easier to look at like the Ritz's tachometer or something although it might not look so good on an i20. But you get the idea.
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:46   #28
BHPian

Fantastic feature this!!!

Dad got his i20 Magna 1.2 last week. Previously he owned a Santro for some 8 years(Santro LP, No tachometer!!) So he shifted gears probably based on Engine sound i guess(Owing to the strong 3rd gear, sometimes we tend to remain on 3rd). Now with the i20, with windows rolled up, its very very silent and this shift indicator is a boon!

It cleanly shows the arrow( pointing upwards or downwards meaning to upshift or downshift respectively) and the gear number.

We found that when on second after accelerating it started indicating upshift to 3, dad drove on, accelerated further without shifting to 3, the indicator automatically corrected itself and showed upshift to 4!

And the Shift indicator works well while downshifting as well. Overall a great feature to have. But i feel it should have some kind of a beep to attract the attention of the driver, and it should have been configurable as well(beep turn on/off) Otherwise we have to keep looking in the odometer space to know when it indicates a shift.
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 11:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Fantastic feature this!!!

But i feel it should have some kind of a beep to attract the attention of the driver, and it should have been configurable as well(beep turn on/off) Otherwise we have to keep looking in the odometer space to know when it indicates a shift.
Absolutely great feature to have.
I guess it is good for newbies too.
I remember this indicator + beep is available on mazda RX8 (different ball game altogether).
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 14:20   #30
BHPian

Next time when i drive the beauty i will make sure i note down the up shift and downshift instants in kmph and/or rpms

This should point to some kind of optimum driving style for i20 right?
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote