Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th August 2010, 15:28   #31
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This is a good feature as different engines are tuned differently and this will help the driver to change the driving style as per the engine tuning to extract maximum mileage.

It is only question of time that one would get used to this indicator and then it would be just another "gadget".
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 17:40   #32
BHPian

This is nice feature to have for beginners. However it would be interesting to have this operate on dual mode. Meaning I can select Power or Economy mode and the gear shift indicator will indicate up/downshift accordingly - early on rpm in economy mode than in power.
vigneshA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 18:07   #33
BHPian

Default Indy-Cator

Pete's has a product called Indy-Cator, priced Rs.7800, It that just another fancy gadget? It replaces the gear knob, that seems strange to me, who will look at the knob each time when shifting gears?
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 16:21   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
However it would be interesting to have this operate on dual mode. Meaning I can select Power or Economy mode
Smart suggestion, but its actually very simple:

- Economy / regular driving : Change gears according to the shift indicator

- Power mode : Shift at the redline, each & every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Pete's has a product called Indy-Cator, priced Rs.7800, It that just another fancy gadget? It replaces the gear knob, that seems strange to me, who will look at the knob each time when shifting gears?
It's rubbish. Don't waste your money.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Next time when i drive the beauty i will make sure i note down the up shift and downshift instants in kmph and/or rpms

This should point to some kind of optimum driving style for i20 right?
Well, checked yesterday! It is as per the general understanding of owners of cars with the kappa engine: Up shift at 2000 rpms!

As i observed, the indicator used to inform right at around 1900rpms except for the 4th to 5th gear upshift where it asks for an upshift at around 2100 rpms.

But downshift was not at some fixed rpms! It was asking for a downshift just before the lugging point, i felt. Which is good!! For example, when i was in 4th gear and after reaching 2100 rpms, i moved to 5th also as per the indicator, then during the course of the drive, even when the engine was at 1500 rpms, yet steady, no indication whatsoever to move down to 4th! Only when there was proper deceleration, the indicator showed up, for downshifting!

So overall, i feel this feature is something which works pretty well and not a mere gimmick.
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 15:09   #36
BHPian

Does the gear shift indicator also give audible warning like "Up" or "Down"??
Looking down into the console everytime you want to shift gears would be dangerous with all 2 & 3 wheelers around.

Nevertheless its a good feature for ladies and Uncles

Last edited by sunnyside : 7th October 2010 at 15:11.
sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote