Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th July 2010, 12:36   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavanrv View Post
Firstly GOI will not deregulate diesel prices overnight as it would be practically impossible considering how used to this subsidy our businesses have become.
Once deregulated, diesel cost is likely to sit somewhat between 2-5 rs cheaper than petrol.
Considering petrol engines have an inbuilt advantage (for smaller vehicles like passenger cars), they are less noisy and have lesser vibrations manufactures will start pushing Petrol engines which are less complicated to manufacture.Mainly due the fact the huge cost advantage will be lost.
Other things like torque, BHP, lag etc.. which has been mentioned purely depends on the engine design.
And I believe by the time our govt. decides on deregulating diesel prices it would become insignificant as it is decades away and we will have neither one left on this planet .
I liked the last sentence. Yes, I do not think even a judicious use of this precious resource will help it last for another 30 years. No wonder, China, US and the EU are trying to book all the new wells/finds. Our politicians have no interest in making the future of the country secure at least for a few years.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 12:51   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Nowhere it mentions that Diesel price will become equal to petrol. I dont think it is possible at all in India where the economy rides on Diesel.. Think of another 10% increase in inflation figures which will make any government fall. So Diesel is and will always remain cost effective
If deregulated now diesel has to go up by another Rs.3.14, plus the extra taxes,excise duty will bring close to Rs.3.5 I think. Ofcourse both fuels will be depending on international crude prices where they can go up or come down. But the difference between petrol and diesel may narrow to say Rs.8-10 from say Rs.14 now, so diesel looses its cost adavantage and don't forget those higher initial retail price and extra maintenance costs for diesel vehicles.
samsan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 13:51   #198
BHPian

Default 3 out of 5 cars sold run on Diesel

India is definitely a Diesel country.. Finally Honda seems to say they will have an answer in 2012!!!!

Diesel cars give a hard time to petrol counterparts in luxury segement-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Diesel cars give a hard time to petrol counterparts in luxury segement
29 Jul 2010, 0134 hrs IST,

NEW DELHI: Diesel cars in the premium and luxury segment are giving their petrol counterparts a hard time on the Indian roads. Three out of five cars sold in the first six months of this year were diesel powered.

"The verdict is clearly in favour of diesel cars," said Mercedes-Benz MD & CEO & Wilfried Aulbur. Customers are opting for new-age diesel engine vehicles that offer instant acceleration and higher torque even as petrol is trying to catch-up on the technological changes, he added.

A total of 6.88 lakh cars in this segment, which consists of vehicles costing upwards of `4 lakh, were sold during January-June. In the luxury segment, 79% of 446 cars sold this year were diesel variants of BMW 7Series, Audi A8 and Mercedes S Class.

Diesel is no longer the dirty fuel, says Pawan Goenka, president of Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers' Association. "It offers tremendous advantages over petrol to play around with, and the market is clearly heading for its domination," he added. Indians are lapping up diesel-powered cars that offer higher fuel efficiency, better acceleration and refined technology.

The recent surge in sale of diesel cars has also to do with the introduction of more advanced CRDi technology which is now available across all the segments and also comes loaded in basic diesel vehicles such as Mahindra's Bolero and Tata Motors' Indica hatchback.

The technology, which was first launched by Hyundai in its Accent sedan eight years ago, allows diesel to burn much faster, thereby delivering higher fuel efficiency and instant pick-up.

Several carmakers are now looking to develop more diesel cars. Honda is looking to launch diesel variants of its popular cars such as City and Civic in two years. "We cannot miss the diesel bandwagon. It is fast outgrowing petrol cars, and Honda will have the answer in 2012," said Takashi Nagai, CEO & president of Honda Siel Cars India.

Market leader Maruti Suzuki is also building its diesel sales portfolio. Diesel-fueled car sales have grown to form almost 30% of its total domestic demand, since its first launch (Swift diesel) in 2007.

The growing portfolio of diesel-fueled vehicles would get further strengthened with some carmakers offering some vehicles such as SUVs and luxury sedans only in diesel option to attract the Indian customers.

While General Motors offers Cruze sedan only in diesel variant, Maruti is planning to launch its biggest model Sx4 in diesel. In the small car market, Hyundai will soon launch its flagship compact car i10 in diesel.
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 14:06   #199
Senior - BHPian

I would still buy a diesel even if the price rises above the Petrol engines. Comming from a Petrol head family that has now turned the Diesel way for a few reasons. Diesel engines are efficient, cleaner and the torque levels do not let you down in the power dept. The newer engines are refined and do not give you a feeling that your driving a tractor any more. The distances for people like me also play a factor as i do not need to refuel as often as i would with a petrol engine. This only means i can venture further into the Interiors where petrol pumps are scarcely available with no worries atall.
I for one would venture into buying the Audi R8 Diesel over its petrol brother.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 17:56   #200
BHPian

Forget low end torque ,driving comfort, maintenance, pickup, environmental friendly factors etc. The bottom line is that diesel prices are kept artificially low, which makes it a cheaper fuel to run on, no wonder most of us uses it.

Once diesel pricing is revised this major advantage is removed , gas fuels like CNG/LPG will make more economic sense, no wonder manufacturers like Maruti plans to launch gas based cars.

In years to come I foresee gas based vehicles dominating the Petrol & diesel market.

Bit off topic …Yesterday I have noticed that Shell has dropped fuel prices by 55 paisa, I think they are changing prices on a weekly basis.
tj123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 19:09   #201
BHPian

Even if the prices of Diesel and Petrol are the same, Diesel would still be cheaper as it is more efficient. Also the fuel efficiency of diesel is more consistent. Petrol vehicles that give good fuel efficiency see their efficiency drop dramatically with load, AC, city driving etc. Whereas Diesels seem to be less hassled by such factors.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 21:58   #202
BHPian

I prefer to buy petrol cars as long as I can afford the running cost. This is because of my previous experiences.

I always prefer the refinement and linear power delivery of the iDSI (NHC) in comparison to our Swift Diesel. I did not like the performance of Innova’s diesel engine after experiencing the iVTEC in ANHC.But if I get to drive the Audi and BMW diesels my opinion might change.
Mevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 22:54   #203
BHPian

Yes I would definetely buy a diesel for its torque, milage, driveablity. Diesels are anytime more effecient than the petrol engines and deliver more torque than the petrols. So far as my knowledge goes diesels pollute less than the petrol engines. Modern diesel engines are anytime better than the petrol engines.
patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 23:30   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
I always prefer the refinement and linear power delivery of the iDSI (NHC) in comparison to our Swift Diesel. I did not like the performance of Innova’s diesel engine after experiencing the iVTEC in ANHC.But if I get to drive the Audi and BMW diesels my opinion might change.
i wont say innova's diesel engine is good in any ways apart from the fact that its a reliable motor! there are other diesels in this price which may change your perception about diesels.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 16:14   #205
BANNED

I always heard when anybody plans to sell his vehicle after take 5~7 years & if it is a diesel car its fairs a better resale value than petrol car . can anybody explain this logic .

Yes Petrol running costs are higher , but after certain kms during the selling ,take 5 years 50000 kms a diesel vehicle would also be subjected to more wear & tear than a petrol & a person buying it may fear of heavy maintainence costs which he might incure if he's going to keep it for take next 5 years & adding another 50 kms & subsequently when he needs to sell he might not find much buyers as its 10 year old 1lakh run diesel engine

In case of petrol , that fear of maintainence is not in the minds of buyers as long as he's fine with the costlier running costs compared to diesel

Please write your thoughts
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 17:23   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
I always heard when anybody plans to sell his vehicle after take 5~7 years & if it is a diesel car its fairs a better resale value than petrol car . can anybody explain this logic .

Yes Petrol running costs are higher , but after certain kms during the selling ,take 5 years 50000 kms a diesel vehicle would also be subjected to more wear & tear than a petrol & a person buying it may fear of heavy maintainence costs which he might incure if he's going to keep it for take next 5 years & adding another 50 kms & subsequently when he needs to sell he might not find much buyers as its 10 year old 1lakh run diesel engine

In case of petrol , that fear of maintainence is not in the minds of buyers as long as he's fine with the costlier running costs compared to diesel

Please write your thoughts
Well! The logic is quite straight forward, when someone wants to buy a second hand diesel car he would choose so because of the Fuel Efficiency even thou that diesel has been more used. And he is ready to pay the premium above a similarly old petrol car without that much running. Its as if buying into a new deal and caluculating the savings he would make running a diesel. for e.g a P car costs 5.5L and D car costs 6.5L when new, after say 5 years and 50k running on D car and 30k on P car, the resale values are say P car(2.75L) and D car(3.25L), so the difference is still 50k. But he wants to choose the D car still because may be his usage will be still high and the initial cost would be offset thru fuel bill savings over say another 20k kms.

But the point one has to look at is how much running has the D car done, if its too much then it doesn't make sense as maintenance/repairing costs would also increase.
samsan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 17:25   #207
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Diesel is good for torque and is supposed to be good for hills and so far i have seem with the Accent viva CRDi that the claim is true enough but its hard to imagine a situation where a Diesel car is required to go about in a hilly place like Shimla.

Add to that the Diesel freezing problem, i only had to deal with it once but it has hell. The car was stuck for a whole day the mechanic almost burned a hole in the fule tank :(

I find Petrol peppier and snappy than Diesel and the whole idea with Diesel is better FE and cheaper per liter that is why i choose to go Diesel otherwise i would get Petrol.
ajai_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 17:38   #208
BHPian

That depends - if the price of diesel will go up or the price of petrol will come down and if the upfront costs associated with diesel cars come down.
If price of diesel goes up - buy a diesel car
If price of petrol goes down - buy a petrol car.
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:21   #209
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Well! The logic is quite straight forward, when someone wants to buy a second hand diesel car he would choose so because of the Fuel Efficiency even thou that diesel has been more used. And he is ready to pay the premium above a similarly old petrol car without that much running. Its as if buying into a new deal and caluculating the savings he would make running a diesel. for e.g a P car costs 5.5L and D car costs 6.5L when new, after say 5 years and 50k running on D car and 30k on P car, the resale values are say P car(2.75L) and D car(3.25L), so the difference is still 50k. But he wants to choose the D car still because may be his usage will be still high and the initial cost would be offset thru fuel bill savings over say another 20k kms.

But the point one has to look at is how much running has the D car done, if its too much then it doesn't make sense as maintenance/repairing costs would also increase.
Your explanation is quite logical . I have been contemplating to buy a punto from few days . Read my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...3-emotion.html (Grande Punto 1.2 emotion or 1.3 emotion)

I have not considered 1.4 thinking that its going to burn my pockets with the fuel bills. however Im aware that you have done extensive study on Diesel/ petrol / running before you bought your 1.4 . Your MS excel sheet on the P/D break even has been my bible from few days

Would appriciate if you can give me any inputs by going through my thread
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 21:23   #210
BHPian

Default Yes for Modern Diesels Engines

I have owned a M800 MPFI and now a Palio MJD and writing the comaprisions with my experience:

Modern Diesel engines are quiter,lower maintenance with long service intervals,higher fuel economy,less polluting with lower CO emissions

Diesel Engines are built tough and take bashings for long time,check the old willy jeeps,busses,lorries,tractors as compared to petrol engine vehicles.

Driveability side less gear changes,higher torque resulting in power in every gear and easier hill climbs and overtakings,petrol engines are faster in the initial dash however long drive highway cruisings diesels glide effortlessly.

City driving the torque is a blessing and car is always on clutch and very low acceleration needed with less frequest gear changes as even on 3rd gear you can be at 30km/hr.

Diesel fuel does not burn easily like petrol and is not inflamable hence diesel cars are safer then petrol cars which might burn in hot conditions.

Diesel availability in all bunks anywhere in India without any issues on all highways thanks to Buses and Lorries,villages as tractors,Gensets,water pumps also run on diesel

Counter points welcome from Petrol lovers
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote