Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th September 2010, 21:31   #211
Senior - BHPian

Presently most carmakers have an inflated marp up on the Diesel variant prices, especially knowing the demand they have in India. I believe once the Diesel prices are on par with Petrol these inflated diesel car prices will drop, thus making a diesel car an even better proposition, or so I think.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 14:55   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Presently most carmakers have an inflated marp up on the Diesel variant prices, especially knowing the demand they have in India. I believe once the Diesel prices are on par with Petrol these inflated diesel car prices will drop, thus making a diesel car an even better proposition, or so I think.

Well! If everyone buys diesel cars than diesel cars prices wont come down, and even if petrol & diesel prices are similar then also diesel car prices will never come down because still they will be sold with a tag as being more efficient than petrol cars. Also the diesel engines manufacturing technology is costlier by a few k than a similar sized petrol variant thats the reson they charge more for a diesel car rest all being just the same. Yes its true all manufacturers charge a good premium for diesel varaints over the petrol variants, solely because of demand.
samsan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 16:25   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

What would you guys choose?
Fiesta 1.6 or Punto 90HP?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 20:17   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Fiesta 1.6 anyday , though i have never driven one , but somebody said that it is as close as it gets to a FWD BMW!
ishlinea7260 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 21:12   #215
BHPian

Default Diesel

Anyday Diesel if looking at cost advantage -- We go more kms per liter of diesel than petrol. However upfront costs are way too high (eg Figo, Ritz) currently.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 21:48   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.6 obviously!! Damn the gorgeous looks of Punto. Its ride >> looks.

If it is 1.6S, its icing on cake
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 22:44   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Umm.. can I have the 1.6 mill in Punto's shell??!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 22:58   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Well, my choice would always be a Fiesta 1.6. My dad has one and it is raw power. A punto, with the current engine options in India, can in no way accelerate as fast as a Fiesta does. You would definitely get a better steering feedback with Punto at high speeds.
However if you want a car that can match the performance of Skoda Superb/Laura/Octavia (Not RS), you would definitely want a Fiesta 1.6....

Back to the point being discussed in the thread..

My vote is for Don't know.
I like both petrol and diesel. And my choice would really boil down to the individual car being compared to, all based on value for money (including initial cost and FE), performance and driveability.

PS: No offences meant to Punto or Skoda owners/likers.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Team-BHP does not appreciate posts promoting/related to racing on public roads. Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th September 2010 at 23:27. Reason: Edited post to delete mention of racing on public roads.
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 23:34   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why not Fiesta Diesel vs Petrol and Punto Diesel vs Petrol? Comparing Fiesta P vs Punto 90hp D directly makes less sense.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 23:48   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Why not Fiesta Diesel vs Petrol and Punto Diesel vs Petrol? Comparing Fiesta P vs Punto 90hp D directly makes less sense.
I am in a dilemma and hope an appropriate thread from my end to be put up soon.

Punto P has the FE on par(if not lower) than Fiesta 1.6 and in no way can the performance be and Punto 90HP being more peppy than 1.3FGT makes a good case.

I am new to Cars but know the good from bad(am floored by Linea/Putno/Figo) stability/steering feel and highway manners and have begun disliking EPS. A* is good being EPS, but gets floaty post 110/120.

^^Know I am going OT and hope to put a relevant thread up, please feel free to edit/delete the portion which isn't in sync with the thread
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 09:38   #221
BHPian

Well, I don't think, prices of diesel cars are inflated. In today's competitive auto scene, it is not possible. On the contrary, I have heard that margins on petrols are in fact higher, as manufacturers, to keep prices of diesels lower cuts down on the margins hoping that volumes would bring in the revenues.

Refinement and performance of modern diesel engines are much better than what it was in the past, but still, they are no where near the petrols. Take a back to back TD and you will understand. My Civics engine revvs from 1000 to 7000 rpm with ease. Try doing that in a diesel engine.

Also I find the argument about diesels requiring lesser gear changes a bit hard to digest. When we talk about turbo lags in diesels, it is always advised to keep the RPM above say 2000rpm. Also, even the best diesel engines out there can't go anywhere beyond 5000rpm. So it has a narrow power band of 2000-5000rpm, when you compare that to a petrol which can do 1000rpm-6500rpm with ease.

Another myth that is common is that diesel cars have better resales values that petrols. Actually, that is not true. A new Swift VXi costs 5.5L while the VDi costs 6.4L. A difference of 90K. A 3 year old used VXi according to carwale is 3.3L while a used VDi is 4L. Difference is 70K. Yes you got 70K more selling the diesel, but you paid 90K upfront for that, that too three years in advance. Factor in the interest on that 90K and the savings/losses are much higher. This is true for almost all cars, just that the gaps will vary.

Last edited by civic-sense : 9th September 2010 at 09:42.
civic-sense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 11:09   #222
BHPian

The decision will be based on the engine characteristics and personal choice. I would prefer a diesel with little or no turbo lag.

I feel if fuel prices are deregulated, the diesel and petrol model price difference will eventually come down (as can be seen in european markets). We will see a similar buying preference as we see in these deregulated markets.
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:43   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Also I find the argument about diesels requiring lesser gear changes a bit hard to digest. When we talk about turbo lags in diesels, it is always advised to keep the RPM above say 2000rpm. Also, even the best diesel engines out there can't go anywhere beyond 5000rpm. So it has a narrow power band of 2000-5000rpm, when you compare that to a petrol which can do 1000rpm-6500rpm with ease.
I think what people mean is that diesels have better pulling power from lower speeds at higher gears.

Quote:
Another myth that is common is that diesel cars have better resales values that petrols. Actually, that is not true. A new Swift VXi costs 5.5L while the VDi costs 6.4L. A difference of 90K. A 3 year old used VXi according to carwale is 3.3L while a used VDi is 4L. Difference is 70K. Yes you got 70K more selling the diesel, but you paid 90K upfront for that, that too three years in advance. Factor in the interest on that 90K and the savings/losses are much higher. This is true for almost all cars, just that the gaps will vary.
For Maruti, sure, since Maruti petrols have always had great resale value. For many other brands only the diesel models are on demand on the used market.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 15:08   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
I feel if fuel prices are deregulated, the diesel and petrol model price difference will eventually come down (as can be seen in european markets). We will see a similar buying preference as we see in these deregulated markets.
I checked the prices in UK. Diesel cars there are definitely more expensive than petrols. Think about it this way, for the same cc, a naturally aspirated diesel would make lesser power than a naturally aspirated petrol. So they have to add a turbocharger and other stuff to bring it in par with the petrols, and that costs money. So, no day the price of a diesel engine is going to come down to be par with petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I think what people mean is that diesels have better pulling power from lower speeds at higher gears.
Then I wonder why people complain about turbo lag, and recommend to keep the rpm above 2000.
Quote:
For Maruti, sure, since Maruti petrols have always had great resale value. For many other brands only the diesel models are on demand on the used market.
OK, look at the Palio 1.2 and Palio D. The 1.2 ELX used to sell for 4.5L while the D ELX used to sell for 5.5L (1L difference). Today, a used 1.2 ELX in Bangalore is available for around 1L, while the diesel will fetch you a maximum of 2L. The difference of 1L is huge, but consider this: You spent 1L more buying the diesel. Now add the interest for 5 years.

People who think that buying a diesel car makes better economic sense actually got it wrong. Well, unless he is a fleet operator.

Last edited by civic-sense : 9th September 2010 at 15:10.
civic-sense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 15:12   #225
BHPian

Diesel car requiring less gear shifts is not a myth. All you need is third gear in most of the speeds, in normal city driving, where you would require 2nd, 3rd and 4th in a petrol.

Resale value of the diesel depends on the model, but generally it is not a myth because a used diesel car is an attractive option for taxi operators.

I don't think diesel is going to equal petrol price anytime soon. If diesel is deregulated, the public sector will see huge a upshift in transport costs, and of course the way to make up for it would be to tax petrol users even more. Just a guess.

If I see a day when petrol and diesel costs the same in India, I would be really surprised. Because there are too many stakeholders in keeping diesel price lower.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote