Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd December 2010, 14:58   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Yes because of more miles per litre
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:19   #242
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

I would still go for the diesel. However, equal or nearer prices would have an impact on the resale value. Subsequently, would the initial purchase costs even out too?
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:09   #243
BHPian

Diesel is the way to go, something tells me if I were to calculate my carbon footprint diesel would have an edge (right from cost of refining the crude fuel, distribution and losses, running costs, FE everythning in the life-cycle) some thought people should learn to own atleast now.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:34   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

@.anshuman--I think the question needs to be revised, it should read--
"If the petrol Car returned FE figures of that of a diesel Car and costs less or at-least similar,(the pricing of diesel/petrol being the same) would you still buy a diesel Car"?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:01   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@.anshuman--I think the question needs to be revised, it should read--
"If the petrol Car returned FE figures of that of a diesel Car and costs less or at-least similar,(the pricing of diesel/petrol being the same) would you still buy a diesel Car"?
Sheel - This is too hypothetical and can never happen. It is a known fact that Calorificvalue of diesel is higher than petrol and hence the efficiency of diesel engine will be higher and thereby the mileage will be higher.
DieselFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:19   #246
Senior - BHPian

Yes!

The best thing about Diesels is the low end torque.. it makes them more driveable in the city

Dont think i'll ever buy a petrol again.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:01   #247
BHPian

Diesel cars are built heavy for high compression ratio and therefore last much longer than petrol cars, more fuel efficient and less CO2 emissions. Only concern would be particulate emission. I am sure that with better technology this will be reduced.

Diesel cars is what I will go for anyday.
pshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:18   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Sheel - This is too hypothetical and can never happen. It is a known fact that Calorificvalue of diesel is higher than petrol and hence the efficiency of diesel engine will be higher and thereby the mileage will be higher.
I believe the same should apply to the thread too as I am yet to see the pricing of diesel and petrol similar/closer.

The question is hypothetical,(so is the thread) yes, but I thought some answers would be nice.

^^Had to forgo a petrol Car and buy a diesel because of rising cost and better FE.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd December 2010 at 23:20.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 07:27   #249
Team-BHP Support

The only thing which I theorize can happen is that the component/duty/tax/cess (not sure which is the right term) one pays for a given displacement at the time of purchase, would be jacked up for a diesel engine. That may be the government's way of saying, diesel subsidy for public and mass transport. No LMVs to get this benefit. I agree there are many pitfalls and loop holes in this method, but I presume some thing like that would be out very soon.

But even then if one plans to hold the car for a long time, it can easily negate the price of the car and fuel as against petrol. So, from that point of view I would definitely buy a diesel next time!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 09:37   #250
Senior - BHPian

My answer is Yes (provided, the diesel variants are excessively higher than their petrol variants!!)
Reasons are mentioned in the first post!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 09:51   #251
BHPian

Yes I would. Diesel cars are inherently more efficient and so you end up using lesser fuel and will always be beneficial. This is mainly because of my monthly running which would offset the higher capital costs (my linea with a light foot (80-90 pkh) gives about 27-28 kpl) on mum-pune eway.

Gasoline engines are smoother and less noisier which are the positives. Also they are cheaper to buy and maintain. So if you do not drive too much then gasoline cars are always preferred
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 00:46   #252
BHPian

I would still go with the Diesel. I simply love how my diesel car performs in both the city and highways compared to a similarly powered petrol car. Even if the diesel and petrol was priced the same, I would still have better fuel economy.
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:30   #253
vcx
BHPian

This is an intresting thread that aptly coincides with the dilemma I am going through...

My Budget 10-12 lacs
Weekdays City travel- 25-30kms max
Weekends City + long drives: 100-150 max
Currently drive Ikon flair 2006(impeccable condition, just love this car)
Looking for upgrade :Petrol or Diesel( considering factors as many posted)
Options:Honda City VMT(Petrol), VW VENTO-Highline(Diesel)
OTR Hyderabad: City -just ard 11lacs, Vento 11.2 lacs
Thats brings to a mariginal diff of just 20-30k max btw both Pertol City to Vento Diesel.

Why considered City:
-Good styling and road presence
-Nice steering
-Space
-Understand decent FE
-Great Engine

Why considered Vento:
-Great Engine 1.6 L Diesel
-Good FE
-Top notch fit and finish
-Auto AC
-Some intresting first time feature( reach and rake streering, all 4 doors pinch control
-Space mgmt

So now this is diff angle where cars at same price , but diff fuel which one Should I go for?

Just confused, which makes more sense here, help ?
vcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:08   #254
BHPian

Default Petrol Car vs Diesel Car.

Hello all,

I have petrol wagon r (one generation, earlier than k-series).
eve-though it is just small car. I somehow have feeling that petrol engine are anyday better diesel engines.
I say this, because i have driven diesel engine (ritz, swift); but still at heart, i have always feel petrol engines are simple to maintain, much silent, make lesser noise and awesome acceleration, when compared to diesels.

even-though, it costs a bomb to run petrol engine in Bangalore (rs 65/litre). personally petrol engine is maintaining a lady (sensual, quiet, costly);
Diesel is more like a man(grueling, and making noise, and economical).

Looking at technology perspective.

Current gen petrols: even k-series from maruti ; are not technological intensive like in Common rail diesels from maruti(from fiat) and VW.
Maybe next gen petrols like GDI (gasoline direct injection) and turbo-charged petrols might offer diesel like efficiency and same time quietness of petrol engines.

My god, i love petrols. and TBHP's respond.
navrddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 01:25   #255
BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Car vs Diesel Car.

With the technology improving the gap between diesel and petrol is narrowing in terms of NVH. In terms of turbo and intercooler adding complexity as compared to normally aspirated petrols, I tend to agree to it.
vignesh_ny is offline   Reply With Quote