Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 526 45.15%
No 550 47.21%
Don't Know 89 7.64%
Voters: 1165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th June 2010, 13:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesels today have more torque for the same capacity engine implying better diveablility in the city, pls they give a better millage in general compared to the Petrol so there is an addtional 30% saving irresepective of the cost of fuel.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 14:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

I voted for yes.
Diesel cars are a lot more fun to drive in my opinion.

However, it also depends on the car at hand. There is no doubt that the 1.8TSi in the Laura is better than the CRDi. But at the same time, the CRDi in the Jetta is better than the petrol.

We have diesels at home, even though they barely run 10K a year!
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 14:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I went in for a Diesel drive when I had Petrol alternatives at similar / lower price range than my budget purely for the Torque rush, though my planned running won't cross 1500 KM per month.

I wont buy a sub-200nm / <100 BHP Diesel car, would rather go with a Petrol if that is the case if both the fuel are priced closer. But when it comes to that highway run, nothing in even in a class or two above can even come close to my Getz CRDi - and THAT is the kind of Diesel I will buy, even in the future!
Forgot to add: When Turbo-charged Petrols become mainstream, I *may* change my mind
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 15:12   #19

^ hehe.

it' really subjective. input and output of the engine would be key parameters. right now, even if you take away the price difference for diesel, the cars are definitely worth it.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 15:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

The question really makes me think a lot. Appreciate the question first
Confession- I have never owned nor driven a diesel engine (except for short rides on relatives/ friends cars)

For the part of answering:
1. The milage of diesel engines are higher and performace better tweaked, that makes me slightly skew towards diesel.
2. But the resale value of a diesel engine is going to be on a lower side. As the engine wear is more in Deisel

That being apart here are different mode of the same question:
1. Would be buying diesel cars, even if the price of both diesel and petrol cars are same.
a. One thing is petrol price being equal to diesel. Other thing is diesel cars in general are 50k to 1L more than petrol, in this case I would chose petrol

2. Would you buy diesel cars, if the price is not same, but both are de-regulated ones.
a. This is different from them being same. In this case I would buy diesel cars as the prices are of diesel worldwide are more stable than a petrol prices.

Last edited by xingamazon : 30th June 2010 at 15:49.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 15:37   #21

It depends on the engines in question. For example, if I am going for Swift or Ritz I would choose petrol. But if I were going for Figo or Vista, I would choose diesel. It depends on which version (petrol or diesel) is performing better, in that particular model.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 15:51   #22

One must compare cars of same segment when pitting a diesel against a petrol.I think for the same segment all petrols outshine diesels except for low down torque in the city.
Moving on to higher segments we find diesels match or outperform their counterparts.
Petrols meanwhile will have to wait till superchargers become common to claim absolute superiority.nothing can beat the Fill it-Forget it practicality of owning a petrol.
aditya116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 16:46   #23

From my personal experience, even while comparing the old monster 87bhp engine in Swift Petrol to the 75bhp DDiS, I would say the petrol engine has to be pushed too hard to get those real world performance figures. Thanks to the torque, diesels are natural performers! So its like how easily the power gets to a normal driver.

So I voted for crdi.

Diesel - "For the man who doesnt have to try too hard"

About me, I 'was' a petro head (Esteem with K & N) for last 14 years , now all set to lay my hands on a new ddis swift.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 16:59   #24

Voted No, assuming that the price difference in the cars continue to be as they are now. The difference in mileage would be compensated by initial price difference.

I also love the free revving nature of petrol engines. As of the turbo rush, I am sure we will start seeing the turbo boosted petrol engines more in the future.
sukeshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:03   #25

I will buy a diesel over a similar capacity petrol car. I don't like revving the engine too much. So for me, a diesel plant is just perfect. I get more usable torque at low rpms which make things easy for me.

Note: I haven't driven the TSI. It might change my opinion.
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Related question - Will manufactures stop ripping us by overpricing the diesel variants in comparison to the petrol variants by 50K-1L?
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:22   #27

One thing that i hate about diesel engines is the clatter.
rahul18348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:31   #28

A rev happy engine any day and a smoother engine at that and crdi or no crdi they can't match a good petrol engine. The turbo lag makes it much harder in the city traffic unlike gliding petrols.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:34   #29

I would still buy a diesel. the fuel burns cleaner, has better torque and drive-ability and better FE and diesel tech has been keeping up with its petrol counterparts now.
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:39   #30

Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Diesel fuel is more polluting than Petrol, and in other countries, Diesel is taxed more than petrol.
I have to disagree on this. The Europeans, especially the Germans believe that diesel engines can be made to run clean and that is why they are investing heavily into that. They are not much into electric, hydrogen etc like the rest of the world and believe that they can achieve the same with diesel.

As for me, if I were to choose between a diesel and a petrol variant of the same model, I would go for the one that I believe is value for money. The biggest differentiators would be cost differance between them, the mileage differance and the cost of fuel. This is assuming all that the options are the same on both.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote