Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th May 2011, 14:56   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I guess, ever since I got a feel of diesel cars I never looked back. I just can't have as much fun in petrols anymore. Sure its smoother, more refined etc. But for me, the way the diesel cranks up, the way it sounds, the way it purrs above 100 kmph, its just what seals the deal for me.
Similar feelings here.

The low end torque available in diesel engines is definitely addictive. With the advent of CRDi the guilt of owning a polluting diesel has come down to a large extent.
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 15:27   #287
oss
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Addicted to diesel ever since i switched to my diesel Fiesta. Even if the cost of diesel model increases, the resale will also go up in line with it.

It may take decades before we can see any kind of parity on Petrol to Diesel pricing in India.
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 17:43   #288
Senior - BHPian

[quote=bharatbs;2352184]Governments change and so do economic policies including energy subsidies in India. No government will do a price correction between petrol and diesel overnight, but they will do so over a period of time (5-10 years or two parliament terms). Just because the Congress government is shying from the idea does not mean subsequent governments will also do the same.[quote]

10 years is a long enough time to buy a diesel car now, juice it, enjoy the subsidy while you can and sell it when the policy changes or you no longer find it profitable to run.

[quote]Government also has the option of introducing taxes on new diesel cars/suvs. But that won’t address the problem as there are already millions of diesel cars/suv on the road which will continue to benefit from subsidized diesel prices.[quote]

And how is it a problem if there are diesel cars and suv's on the road ?
The real problem is CARS on the road, not diesel cars on the road.

Wouldnt it be a better idea to look at the current problem and the future problem than to wonder what to do of diesel vehicles already sold. Can something be done to reduce vehicles on the road and improve public transport.? If this question is OT then so is the question of - what to do with existing diesel vehicles on the road enjoying fuel subsidy.

Quote:
Lastly modern Diesel engines are more fuel efficient hence even if both fuel price becomes the same, you are daily running cost on Diesel will still be low.
All the more convincing reason for you to sell your petrol car tomorrow morning and switch to a diesel. Dont miss out on the opportunity.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 15th May 2011 at 17:47.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 06:01   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56

cruze manual - 9.64
kizashi manual - 9.13
cruze auto - 9.95
kizashi auto - 10.15

this figures are according to ACI.

BTW laura petrol is an amazing and can even beat even few luxury cars with its performance. my reply was based on what our friend arun said that "you need a MERCEDES Diesel to beat a SUZUKI petrol" and that's totally
Thank you! I relied in the figures that were given out during the marketing campaign. It indicated 0-100 times in the late 7.xx
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 12:15   #290
BHPian

[quote]Government also has the option of introducing taxes on new diesel cars/suvs. But that won’t address the problem as there are already millions of diesel cars/suv on the road which will continue to benefit from subsidized diesel prices.
Quote:

And how is it a problem if there are diesel cars and suv's on the road ?
The real problem is CARS on the road, not diesel cars on the road.

Wouldnt it be a better idea to look at the current problem and the future problem than to wonder what to do of diesel vehicles already sold. Can something be done to reduce vehicles on the road and improve public transport.? If this question is OT then so is the question of - what to do with existing diesel vehicles on the road enjoying fuel subsidy.
The topic being discussed here: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

With my previous post I am discussing whether introducing tax on new diesel passeneger cars is a viable alternative to removing subsidies on Diesel.

And here you are equating diesel cars to all cars on the road to reduce vehicles on the road and improve public transport

Quote:
All the more convincing reason for you to sell your petrol car tomorrow morning and switch to a diesel. Dont miss out on the opportunity.
There is word on the internet for this behaviour, below is an excerpt. Do look it up.

"A ___ is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Last edited by bharatbs : 16th May 2011 at 12:16.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 12:42   #291
BHPian

my two cents

even if diesel was priced the same as petrol - it would still be worth buying a diesel car as - diesel cars give better mileage than petrol cars. a 2.0 litre petrol would give you maybe 10 kmpl on a good day, while the skoda laura 140 bhp 2 litre turbo gives 15 easily.
Snowman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 13:11   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
my two cents

even if diesel was priced the same as petrol - it would still be worth buying a diesel car as - diesel cars give better mileage than petrol cars. a 2.0 litre petrol would give you maybe 10 kmpl on a good day, while the skoda laura 140 bhp 2 litre turbo gives 15 easily.

If you are buying a Skoda Laura I don't think the fuel price is something you have on your mind - assuming 2L km over 8years (very aggressive for most owners) the car price and interests cost many times any possible fuel costs (and many many times fuel savings).

Diesels have their own advantages over petrols (and vice versa) and that makes or breaks the deal in the segment you are talking about.

For passenger cars, fuel prices are important as a parameter for buying decision only for sub-10L cars, and then again for a tiny sliver of that (sub-4L there is only Indica DLS that is diesel) thanks to the difference in prices of a diesel vs. petrol engines. It is this segment that is responsible for most of the car sales in India and almost all of the diesel car sales in India, and it is this segment that'll have a major upheaval if petrol prices and diesel prices become equal.

The roughly 90k difference in OTR price is not easy to recoup unless the fuel price differential remains, and many diesel owners do crib about higher maintenance costs and the diesel clatter (even the refined diesels can be heard if you really want to hear them)
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 13:21   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
If you are buying a Skoda Laura I don't think the fuel price is something you have on your mind - assuming 2L km over 8years (very aggressive for most owners) the car price and interests cost many times any possible fuel costs (and many many times fuel savings).

I disagree with you here. I bought a Laura DSG Diesel 6 months back, i knew TSi was more fun but still bought the DSG Diesel because-
  1. 320nm at lower revs.
  2. Superior FE and Cheaper fuel, hence much lower running costs.
  3. The DSG box, convenience yet not missing out on FTD factor.
  4. Still about as fast as Octy RS, slightly slower than TSi.
  5. Much superior Resale value.

The point is FE does matter to me because at times i spend all the time on roads. I am happy my car sips as much fuel as smaller cars still delivering performance close to fastest MT petrol in the segment with convenience of DSG AT.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 13:36   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I disagree with you here. I bought a Laura DSG Diesel 6 months back, i knew TSi was more fun but still bought the DSG Diesel because-
  1. 320nm at lower revs.
  2. Superior FE and Cheaper fuel, hence much lower running costs.
  3. The DSG box, convenience yet not missing out on FTD factor.
  4. Still about as fast as Octy RS, slightly slower than TSi.
  5. Much superior Resale value.
The point is FE does matter to me because at times i spend all the time on roads. I am happy my car sips as much fuel as smaller cars still delivering performance close to fastest MT petrol in the segment with convenience of DSG AT.
well, my point was (or were) 1. it is not the major factor influencing your decision, there are other factors as you have mentioned that are equally important 2. for majority of diesel buyers and high end car buyers the decision making process is different.

I think you'll agree with the above.

Now for some good old fashioned trolling : if you put pen to the paper (and may be use a calculator - but you may not need to) you will find that the extra you paid for the diesel engine more or less cancels the advantage of fuel price difference unless you have huge annual mileage. Most high end car buyers don't have huge annual mileage.

I think you'll agree with this one too

EDIT: by the way, I own two diesel cars and I love them both.

Last edited by bblost : 16th May 2011 at 13:57. Reason: Extra Smiley removed. Please use no more than 2 per post. Thanks.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:54   #295
BHPian

i own 9 cars right now. out of which 7 are diesel and 2 are lpg.

ive never understood the whole "diesel service is more expensive than petrol service" argument. I just sold my Skoda vRS some time ago and the servicing on that thing was EXPENSIVE! compared to it. servicing my diesel scorpio or elantra or xenon or fiesta is dirt cheap.

Also one reason why i do buy diesel cars is that we rack up a LOT of mileage on them. My bolero is a 2007 October model and its crossed 1 lakh kms, Tata Xenon is 2008 October and its at 90 000 kms.

I just bought the new autobox scorpio and shall also be writing a review on it soon!

Money wise - i understand that since the diesel car is more expensive than the petrol one. it takes a long time to recoup that price etc etc.. but in my position id rather pay a lakh more at once when i have the money - than pay Rs 1000 extra every time i fill my tank.
Snowman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:02   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
Money wise - i understand that since the diesel car is more expensive than the petrol one. it takes a long time to recoup that price etc etc.. but in my position id rather pay a lakh more at once when i have the money - than pay Rs 1000 extra every time i fill my tank.
I agree with you completely! Speaking of which, you can buy a vehicle in instalments, but not fuel!
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:22   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
well, my point was (or were) 1. it is not the major factor influencing your decision, there are other factors as you have mentioned that are equally important 2. for majority of diesel buyers and high end car buyers the decision making process is different.
Along with other reasons FE was important to me.

Why do you think cars like BMW X1 Diesel, BMW 320d, 520d, Audi Q7 etc sell more than the Petrol variants?

Quote:
you will find that the extra you paid for the diesel engine more or less cancels the advantage of fuel price difference unless you have huge annual mileage. Most high end car buyers don't have huge annual mileage.
In this part of country Diesels enjoy much superior Resale value and they are much easier to sell. I speak this out of experience. The extra money spent will be recovered from resale value.

You cannot imagine how easy it was to sell a unpopular car like Elantra CRDi.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2159569

The Swift VDi was as easy to sell as a Gold coin-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1364074 (Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update)
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:38   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In this part of country Diesels enjoy much superior Resale value and they are much easier to sell. I speak this out of experience. The extra money spent will be recovered from resale value.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1364074 (Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update)
But, what about the interest cost and the higher insurance premium for all those years?
Selling a petrol car is very easy as well, if it's a popular model.
I sold my Santro the same day I advertised for it.

Servicing also will be slightly higher for diesels.

I voted 'NO'...I love the refinement of petrol engines and I like to rev to the redline when I get the opportunity- I prefer BHP over NM. So, the only point of me considering a diesel will be a lower running cost.

Last edited by adimicra : 16th May 2011 at 14:40.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 15:13   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Along with other reasons FE was important to me.

Why do you think cars like BMW X1 Diesel, BMW 320d, 520d, Audi Q7 etc sell more than the Petrol variants?

I don't know why would they sell more than the petrol variants - not much idea about the high end cars, nor do I have the long experience that you have. I'm a new driver (always hired a chauffeur even or my M800). If you do have some figures on how many buy diesels and how many buy petrols (and what are their stated reasons) it will be a very interesting case study in psychology - why would people spend roughly 30L (or even more) and then try to save less than 1L/year in fuel costs.

Regarding swift, what is the premium the diesel version would command over equivalently run petrol? I think including the resale value differential you'll need 15k km/year just to break even (on present prices and FE figures, including interest) - though I did the calculation long ago and it may not be valid any more.
Old 24th February 2012, 14:42   #300
BHPian

I had 2 diesel car's as i have been driving diesel for over 10 years now. Just sold off my indica yesterday as i was not able to drive both the cars much. Now i am going for a petrol car and would have a combination of petrol and diesel to gain advantage of my diesel car and also have a balance between power and fuel efficiency. The car currently i own now is a Logan diesel which is giving me good justice. I am planning to pick up a second hand petrol sedan.

If petrol and diesel are priced the same, then petrol would be my obvious choice as it is a cleaner fuel and petrol cars have good power and pickup.
Dushie is offline   Reply With Quote