Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th February 2012, 16:20   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

I think the poll should have another option that says not interested in diesel.

The only reason to buy a diesel is actually the torque, and perhaps as an ancillary, in a well designed diesel engine, sometimes better mileage.

I have only ever owned one diesel and that was a Corolla a decade ago in Africa. Every other car of mine has always been a petrol.

Diesel cars are always more expensive to service. They are always better for off road vehicles due to their torque characteristics, but on road petrol is generally better (generalisation I agree).

I have always appreciated the petrol engine and its characteristics. Call me a committed petrol head.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 16:40   #302
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Hi
This poll should have been started in Aug 2010/July 2011. For sheer reason that economics of fuel are being fuelled everyday (rather every hour). The debate for so long in India (we being a mileage minded populace--remember the Hero Honda Ad- Mileage kitna detha hai) has been per km advantages. Moreover the diesel engines in todays cars are extremely design and techno efficient. They add lot of space to driver demands. For example SWIFT DDiS is simply too good for city or for the highway.
Additionally diesel engines are more ecofriendly than petrol (in fact older engines were not well designed--do not compare ricks / pick ups). To add in todays autoscene of the 3 criteria- speed mileage and service cost Diesel engines rule the roost. I will hoot for the diesel.
Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 16:53   #303
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Rather than the price of diesel, its the premium that diesel cars (& upkeep costs) command that's a huge deterrent for me to go for a diesel vehicle. With my low running I'm able to cope with a car that gives around 8 kmpl in the city (max), with traffic going northward sure the fuel efficiency is going to go southward. I feel for a low mileage runner like me petrol makes more sense than diesel with its low upkeep costs and comfort.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 18:22   #304
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yes!
1) The new age diesels are fun to drive.
2) The mileage! Its just twice that of petrol cars these days. Most C & D segment petrol cars end up with just 9-10kmpl, whereas diesel sedans deliver up to 18kmpl.
3) If the logan diesel can do 3 lakh kms without any major issues that too as poorly maintained taxis, then I'm sure most modern diesels are up to this task.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 02:13   #305
BHPian

If the price of diesel comes to the level of petrol then one must also bring down the price of diesel cars to the level of petrol cars to have a fair comparison.
For a simple comparo :
i20 petrol Asta costs 7 lakhs approx.
i20 crdi Asta costs around 8.4 lakhs approx.

There is no doubt that crdi is anyday superior to the weedy 1.2 litre petrol engine but 1.4 lakhs premium ?

Difficult to justify if both the fuels are equally priced.

You can get a Honda City standard model for 8.4 lakhs.

Basically diesel cars of one segment are actually priced almost equivalent to petrol cars of a segment higher.

If priced at par, Diesel cars most probably be the better choice

Last edited by Turbokick : 25th February 2012 at 02:16.
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 02:38   #306
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, I'd never buy a diesel. If I have to commute, I'd rather take the bus or probably even cycle to college/work, while I let my petrol-guzzling car stay in the garage. I'd resort to driving only in the weekends.

That said, if it's a SUV, it makes no sense buying it in petrol, so I'd buy one in diesel. I see no point in lugging all that weight around without the torque to match.

So the question. Would I still buy a diesel? Nope. Would I ever buy a diesel? Nope.

I have nothing against diesel cars. It's just that, I've always had a soft-spot for petrol-cars.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 04:03   #307
BHPian

Yes! In fact diesel is more expensive then petrol in this country, but I'd still buy (and in fact bought) a diesel. Simple fact is that the modern diesels are very efficient and refined. They give almost twice the mileage compared to petrol, and many of the newer petrol cars here only take unleaded 95 and up, which is as expensive as diesel.

All the cars in our family are diesels and we're very happy with them.
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 08:11   #308
BHPian

I would definitely go with a good diesel car.

The torque that these cars generate is awesome & they are great fun to drive on the highways.

Not much fun driving a petrol esteem when fully loaded & with the a/c on.

Yes the price difference in buying the car would be a deterrent to an extent.
rakirank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 08:49   #309
BHPian

Yes, I will buy a diesel still, because modern Diesel cars will give better milage, better torque and more fun to drive.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 09:09   #310
BHPian

Tech Basics of Diesels :

Browser Warning
dsmatharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 09:25   #311
BHPian

I swear by diesels any day.. Petrols are good as long as there is a light load on the engine. In heavy city traffic, a torquey diesel makes more sense to keep the ac going n drive with fewer gear changes.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 09:58   #312
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I think the poll should have another option that says not interested in diesel.
Ditto from my side. Voted for no as I love petrol engines for my type of usage notwithstanding the advantages of costly, noisy and weighty diesel engines.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 10:32   #313
BHPian

I think it depends on characteristics of each car. e.g.
Swift - Would always opt for the Diesel
Corolla Altis - Petrol of course
dingolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 12:05   #314
SAS
BHPian

I voted for petrol. The pros for petrol are:
1. Lower NVH: even the best diesels are not as quiet and vibe free as petrols. Just sit in a honda petrol car or the new swift / chevy spark / beat petrol cars and they are drop dead silent and vibe free. Even my 3 pot Alto is more vibe free than a diesel.
2. Lower car weight, translating into more manuverable, more easy to drive in the city.
3. No turbo lag.
4. Simpler technology, lesser parts to go wrong (my perception IMHO)

That said, diesels do have huge advantages. the torque advantage is really good for highway driving. Also if it is an SUV, no way shall it ever be a petrol vehicle. Plus the fact that the government shall never rationalize diesel prices else they shall lose their vote bank. The premise of this thread is not realistic given the government's true intentions and inability to rationalize diesel prices.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 17:58   #315
Senior - BHPian

Diesel for sure. How can one ignore atleast 20% more efficiency of a diesel motor compared to a similar sized petrol one.

This would in effect make the fuel cheaper to run compared to petrol even if they were both even to the last paise.

Besides here we are talking about if diesel was priced closer to petrol. Surely that wouldn't realistically never (at least for long) happen in our very own country!

So diesel power wins the value race hands down!
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote