Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th July 2012, 18:02   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

I would opt for a diesel car even if diesel was priced closer to Petrol only if I would drive every single day. Diesel has a higher mileage and a more robust engine compared to a petrol engine. Would definately opt for it.
Alive2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 18:12   #317
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

I voted yes!

I was never a fan of diesel cars until we bought our Octavia in 2006. Boy! What a revelation it was. Driving on the highway was more fun thanks to the torque, in-city driving was less stressful due to the drivability of the engine and not to forget the superb mileage we got after every journey on the highways.

It may be high on NVH, have a narrow powerband but i became a diesel car fan after the experience with our Octy and i doubt if i'll ever buy a petrol car again!
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 18:47   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Redliner: Diesel Engines are more efficient and less polluting per Litre CC.
Debatable! An interesting article here. Ironically, from Europe too.
Extract: New diesels produce similar nitrogen oxides to those bought 15 years ago. Typical modern diesel cars emit around 20 times more nitrogen oxides than petrol cars.

Back to the original question - would I buy a diesel car if diesel prices were deregulated. --No!
Especially, when I know for sure that service maintenance costs for the diesel vehicle is going to be higher than for its petrol-fueled sibling? --Hell No!

But, my preference would be a diesel if the intended use of the vehicle is purely for "torque". Say- rough terrains, enumerous passengers, etc.

Once again, how many of us really think GREEN when it's time to choose a car? If we really did, heck we'd all be driving around in REVAs. Oops, no offence.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 18:56   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Debatable! An interesting article here. Ironically, from Europe too.
Extract: New diesels produce similar nitrogen oxides to those bought 15 years ago. Typical modern diesel cars emit around 20 times more nitrogen oxides than petrol cars.
But its definitely more efficient because the calorific value and density of any fuel is its inherent characteristic. An engine can only try to extract a percentage of that power.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 21:10   #320
BHPian

I think the results of the poll would be significantly different if most of us had experienced large displacement petrols instead of our wimpy 1.1-1.6 litre ones. I say this because when you go up the CCs, petrols are no longer inadequately endowed but they retain their typical refinement, aural quality and response. Obviously, if you had bigger diesels too, you'd see higher power and torque outputs, but the behavior of a diesel viz. a viz. a petrol at displacements > 3000 cc (I'm really imagining the situation in the US), I suspect, would turn the polls heavily in favor of petrols.

It's another matter that we're discussing the Indian car scene, in which case I agree that diesels indeed look appealing in certain situations, for certain vehicles (ONLY) owing to the lack of very many competent petrol engine options.

In India, the question of petrol vs. diesel is adulterated by the fact that the vast majority of our petrol cars are too puny to represent 'petrol'.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 21:48   #321
BHPian

I would still go for a petrol engine primarily because of linear power delivery. I drive a Grand Vitara which is lower in Engine size and Power output when compared to Endevour or Fortuner. However I normally seem to take off first when starting from zero at a signal and the bigger engine vehicles on diesel catch up after a lag.
sureshurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 11:46   #322
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Diesel it is. For SUV's torque is more required than outright bhp. Also torque lower down the rpm range is needed. A diesel engine provides all this and more. The diesel torque wave of the Safari, along with wheel-spinning acceleration is all what I want.
One more plus is stellar fuel economy compared to a petrol
Petrol Safari 6-7 km/liter
Diesel Safari 12-15 km/liter.
Even with same price of fuel its a no brainer for me. Diesel all the way!!!
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 16:30   #323
Senior - BHPian

As modern Diesels have caught up with the Petrols in terms of power (and NVH), better FE of a diesel engine will always be a selling point. The only downside is the exorbitant premium charged here for diesels, which deters low mileage customers away from them. Hence I would always go for a diesel if the price of cars are near each other.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 17:04   #324
BHPian

Definitely I would buy a diesel and the reason is not only mileage, which is higher, but the fact that in city bumper to bumper traffic on my Figo, I can just slot into first and not even touch the accelerator, just slightly working the clutch I can easily amble around. Now just how easy is that.

Another thing I don't like in petrols is that they just go Whoosh, that's our Civic, you rev it a bit too much in traffic out of frustration or tiredness and it just leaps out forcing you to error correct quickly all this with a prayer in your mind so you don't clip the guy in the front. Diesels never do that or at least the Figo doesn't do this. It is just so much easier driving in the traffic.

Another reason and this may sound stupid, but I like the sound of the diesel engine, it has kept me awake on so many long boring drives as compared to a petrol which is so silent it is annoying and I always end up turning the radio on only to hear about some ridiculous advert on where to buy property.

So diesel it is, don't care if it reaches petrol like prices, it is fun easy and it saves lives.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 17:35   #325
BHPian

For me it would depend on the usage. Since my daily usage is well below 1k mark per month I did not feel the need to pay a premium for diesel. However if the pricing were more accommodative then perhaps I would have gone the diesel way

In future if and when a SUV happens it definitely will be a diesel mill. Would need that additional torque to pull through the toughest terrain or those hill side roads. With the newer diesel mills being far more efficient in NVH, it surely will be my pick.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 17:41   #326
BHPian

Post Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Most decidedly not, especially as we mover higher up the engine displacement ladder.

I'm a bit of a purist petrol-head and for me, that thirst for refinement and finesse coupled with linear power delivery and wider power band characteristics can never be satiated with an oil burning powerplant. That's just me
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 18:00   #327
BHPian

NVH of diesel cars has definitely improved over the years. But all the posts claiming the same seems to base its argument on a misconception that NVH of petrol cars have remained the same as it was a couple of decades ago. After all, petrol engineers are working on making their products better and aren't sleeping. I can see a sea of difference between the petrols of a couple of generations and today. For example, look at the TSIs, Tjets etc. Turbocharging has also ensured that they are much more smoother compared to big engines producing similar power. Modern day diesels may have caught up with decade old petrols, but not modern day petrols. Sorry.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 18:01   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think I can vote on the poll since I have never owned a diesel car till date . We have three cars in our stable and all are petrols (2 hatches and a sedan). THe hatches (1 MT & 1 AT) are city runabouts and are also used by the ladies in the house. The Sedan is our weekend car and also used by me to travel out of town on work. My running of about 15k kms p.a. with the sedan would definitely justify going for a diesel sedan. Infact at the time of purchase (2011) I had a huge debate in my mind whether to go for a diesel sedan this time. But at the time of purchase the economics just did not add up. There were good discounts on offer for the petrol variant and with none on offer for the diesel, the difference was quite a lot. THe petrol was far better in terms of NVH, clutch effort, pace, fun, refinement, technology, etc...

I've actually bought a petrol car when petrol price was at its peak and the difference between diesel and petrol price was the maximum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post

Another thing I don't like in petrols is that they just go Whoosh, that's our Civic, you rev it a bit too much in traffic out of frustration or tiredness and it just leaps out forcing you to error correct quickly all this with a prayer in your mind so you don't clip the guy in the front. Diesels never do that or at least the Figo doesn't do this. It is just so much easier driving in the traffic.

I guess you've gotten used to the Figo's power delivery characteristics hence find it tough with the Civic as the two engines are dynamically opposite in their power delivery characteristics. One is a torquey diesel that runs out of breath at higher rpms whereas the other is a typical free revving Honda petrol that has all its power concentrated in the upper band of the rpm range.

I fact what you've described happens to a lot of people when they drive a car with a turbocharged engine for the first time after having driven NA engined cars all their life. THe sudden burst of power takes some getting used to.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st November 2012 at 18:08.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 20:13   #329
BHPian

No doubt I'd choose a petrol car if fuel prices were equal. I'm more of a car person than a UV user. So petrol cars : more refined, lesser NVH, higher redline, linear power delivery. More economical in maintenance, lower wear and tear (depreciation), lighter for same output (at least at <3L low displacements power:weight), cleaner fuel, lower emissions esp. NOx & particulates that cause smog.

For those who swear by higher torque for bumper to bumper traffic in diesel cars.... an auto gearbox is the solution, not the engine type. :-)
spinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 20:44   #330
BHPian

I think for a self driven car, petrol cars are a better option. The power delivery is very linear. Diesels are better if you employ a driver. At least I feel it that way and is the reason why I use a petrol car. And my usage is not very low either. I checked my mileage and saw that I have driven over 2000 KM a month (on an average) last year.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote