Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st November 2012, 20:57   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

It would depend on what I would use the car for.

For work since I travel 2800 Kms a month I would definitely use a diesel car compared to the petrol as the mileage I get will be much higher and needed at this time.

For casual run around the city I would choose a petrol.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 14:23   #332
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Mileage is a reason which has been given by folks to still buy diesel. Now the new technologies coming in like ecoboost.. which will give comparable mileage .. will you still go for diesel.

Assuming diesel is hiked by Rs 10 ??
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 17:19   #333
BHPian

Even if petrol cars were sold at 25% of the price of a diesel I would still buy a diesel car.
Reasons:

Torque, torque and more of it.

Ironically I love the clatter of a diesel engine. No prizes for guessing that I love diesel locomotives too, just for this!

Better cruising at three digit figures due to ample torque generated by the turbo.

Fuel efficiency is a big plus compared to petrol.

Cleaner and more efficient than a comparable petrol.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 18:54   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post

Cleaner and more efficient than a comparable petrol.
I thought petrol was cleaner. Though diesels score less on CO2 emissions than petrol, there are a lot of other gases that are let out by diesel and also the most important higher particulate exhaust.

To qoute theconservation.edu, "For the buyer, assessing the benefits of emissions is made easier by the Green Vehicle Guide which separately weights fuel consumption and exhaust emissions to give an overall vehicle rating. Despite their better fuel consumption, diesel vehicles generally rank lower than petrol equivalents."
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 19:56   #335
BHPian

At city congestion levels & speeds, in INDIA, diesels certainly pollute more.... mileage advantage is more or less cancelled out, so it's not true that diesel pollutes less than petrol only because mileage is higher.

Particulates and carcinogens emitted are much higher. Stand behind a diesel vehicle tail pipe and you'll choke sooner than behind petrol vehicle of similar condition.

A DPF (EURO V norms) and highway driving patterns is prevalent in areas from where everyone is quoting from through various sources on the Internet.

Yes! Torque definitely is an advantage : but a long stroke gasoline engine will produce equally good amount of torque : cars don't haul tonnes of loads like pick up vans. Ford EcoBoost is an example.

Wherever in the world all fuel prices are market driven, and equally priced, petrol contribute much higher proportion of vehicles : except Europe where highway driving cycles dominate 90% of driving behavior and diesels thereby contributed to higher efficiencies / lower emission footprints ...aided by DPF and clean fuel ULSDiesel.
spinfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 20:52   #336
BHPian

Depends on how diesel cars are priced at that point of time. If it still holds a premium to petrol cars as it does today, then its petrol. Else its a new generation diesel for me any day.

Last edited by nettooran : 7th January 2013 at 20:52. Reason: spelling mistake
nettooran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 21:17   #337
BHPian

Once we see ECOBOOST type engines or petrol engines with a turbo, the lack of torque point will be moot.Since the ford 1 litre ecoboost engine has more torque then the 1.3 litre multi jet fiat engine,it also has more HP.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 21:44   #338
Senior - BHPian

Yes of course. Just like people in Europe. Diesels also sell there irrespective of diesel's price close to petrol.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 22:05   #339
BHPian

I too love the diesel clatter noise of my punto multijet ... Candid confession

And yes torque is a huge fun

If both petrol and dieael priced close i would choose diesel only if running is abnormally high or its a fiat diesel
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 08:35   #340
BHPian

Not really! I have recently sold my 5yo indigo cs tdi and replaced it with a Civic AT running on CNG.
I thought I'll miss the torque, I thought I'll miss the diesel clatter which I'd gotten so used to, but I don't.
The refined petrol engine just hums along at cruising speed and I'm loving the predictability of linear power delivery. Given a choice, I'll plump for petrol anyday given similar fuel pricing - an year ago my answer might have been different. It's just that exposure to a very refined driving experience daily in the civic has made me a convert.
I still think an automatic box diesel powered car is most relevant in our cities, just that I may not be in the market for it.

Last edited by gomzi : 8th January 2013 at 08:40.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 09:33   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Depends on how diesel cars are priced at that point of time. If it still holds a premium to petrol cars as it does today, then its petrol. Else its a new generation diesel for me any day.
Yes that is thought process for most of the folks, when diesel is priced closer to petrol, then petrol becomes an obvious choice...

Now I am wondering why does diesel vehicles command premium to petrol in new car market, to they have some extra equipment or engine development cost is higher
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 09:54   #342
Senior - BHPian

Coming from an agricultural background, i have never ever owned a petrol. If price parity is achieved, i would definitely try to own a petrol, especially from the Honda.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 10:15   #343
BANNED

Thats a conundrum. You cant meet the refinement of a petrol and you cant match the range and practicality of the diesel. If the prices are equal I would still pick up the diesel though simply coz i cover over 40,000 kms in a year. A petrol would simply not be a viable proposition.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 10:21   #344
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

If Diesel was priced closer to Petrol, would it mean Diesel cars cost would be at par with Petrol counter parts. If so then what would be the deciding factors to choose a diesel over a petrol car? I would pick a petrol in that case as atleast the Maintenance costs would be lesser.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 10:43   #345
BHPian

Yes I would still buy a diesel car simply because of the fact that most of the diesel engines these days offer better fuel economy and it probably will only get better in the coming days. Yes Diesel it is for me.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote