Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th January 2013, 11:32   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Though I own a Punto MJD, I would not go for a diesel in the future in case the diesel and petrol prices become identical because:

1) I love the revv happy, peppy petrol engines
2) Maintenance is low on petrol engines as compared to diesels
3) 4-5 kmpl FE difference between diesel and petrol won't bother me much
4) I prefer the smooth and silent petrol engine compared to the diesel clatter

Cheers!

Last edited by ironshark : 8th January 2013 at 11:33. Reason: added text.
ironshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 14:41   #347
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Very simple decision: for a car I will resist the diesel option as far as I can. For an SUV the petrol will not be an option. If I am standing in the queue for a luxury car then it means only one thing: by some stroke of providence I have come to inherit a very large sum of money; for free So then I will use half this money to buy the nearest possible petrol-gulping shiny cutey, with a long bonnet. And the other half will be invested to earn petro-rupees for drives. Till then I will continue to drive my humble petrol sipping hatch.
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 23:11   #348
Senior - BHPian

Well, it will depend. Most diesels in India are better to drive.
Vento, New Fiesta, Verna, Punto, Figo, Micra, Sunny, Jetta and many more.

Exceptions.
Linea T-Jet
Fiesta Classic
Etios
Laura

So most probably diesel.
oxyzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 07:02   #349
MHG
BHPian

I really like the way Diesels pull right from low RPMs - my experience is with NA diesels, though this is changing with current turbo-laggy diesels like MJD that I don't like much at all.

I also like the grunt they have - others call it "diesel clatter", but for a guy whose first automotive experience was standing in front of the seat on his dad's Vespa 100XE, whose first ride was a TVS-Suzuki Samurai that whines and roars away to glory, and whose earliest 4-wheeled automotive memory was sitting in a MM540, I like it when an engine is assertive about what it intends to do.

So yeah, its diesel for me if the petrol and diesel vehicles were priced the same and diesel was marginally more expensive, as in Europe. Exceptions are torquey turbo charged petrols, like Ford EcoBoost, VW TSI and Fiat T-Jet and hopefully in a few decades I'll buy myself a fuel cell powered car running on an electric motor with instant uber torque.

But if the current 1.5 lacs premium for diesels ensured even when petrol and diesel prices are similar, economics would come into play and I could swing either way.
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 07:19   #350
BHPian

I will ofcourse continue to buy diesel cars for the sheer torque, higher fuel economy and the longivity of the engines. I currently live in Canada and have a diesel engined car. Here diesel is 15cents expensive than petrol per litre. VW, Mercs and BMW's are selling diesel cars and SUV's big time here. In Indian especially high mileage drivers would stick to diesels and so will taxi companies and fleet owners. People who are currently purchasing diesel cars for 1500kms monthly running might switch to petrol.
Got BHP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 18:28   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got BHP? View Post
I will ofcourse continue to buy diesel cars for the sheer torque, higher fuel economy and the longivity of the engines. I currently live in Canada and have a diesel engined car.
I too lived there for couple of years and oh boy it really gets cold over there. In such cold climate, you would have to mix a lot of additives with the diesel isn't?
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 18:36   #352
Senior - BHPian

I own a Swift DDiS and I don't think any swift diesel owner would like to trade it for the petrol version.

I think the decision would also depend on which diesel car is owned by us currently as the behaviour of diesel cars vary a lot also.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 18:54   #353
BHPian

If the fuel prices get closer to each other I would opt out of the diesel segment for the following reasons:
1. Not worth spending the extra Rs100000+ towards the diesel engine.
2. Service costs will be at least 30% cheaper.
3. Almost vibration free engine.
4. The 100000 rupees I spend extra on diesel engine would be saved and rather put petrol for that value and drive about 12500 kms at the rate of petrol being Rs.80/L. That is driving first 12500kms for free!

Last but not least if this happens car manufactures will suffer huge losses due to their investment in india for diesel engines and for sure most individuals will opt out of diesel cars!
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 19:25   #354
Senior - BHPian

I have been down that diesel road myself and have now settled for petrol. Smoother engine, less money up front, shorter queues at filling station. And most importantly -- LIGHT CLUTCH. Try diesel clutch after 20-30 thou KMs. They generally harden up. I have seen this in most cars across segments. A diesel AT would be a good buy but there is dearth of diesel ATs in lower segment just as there is dearth of MTs cars above 30 L.

And Gostel, if long-bonnet petrol power-beast is your thing, then you never had it better. Thanks to our skewed diesel prices, luxury petrol car prices have crashed and you may find a used V6 Accord for a song ( I mean compared to what that poor guy must have paid ). Buy it for a pittance, plough the rest into some money-spinning venture to splurge on petrol.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 15:05   #355
BHPian

The reason I bought my Fabia 1.2 tdi was the coz of the difference in petrol and diesel prices back 2011, I would've bought the 1.6 instead.

After having driven her for 27k odd Kms, I'd never trade the car for a petrol. It so much more drive-able, with the power range in the lower revs makes driving so effortless.
I'd choose diesel over petrol even if the costs were higher.
Eventually with my kind of mileage I would still save a lot in terms of fuel efficiency.

Cheers,
Aayush.
aayushnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 12:25   #356
Senior - BHPian

Let me point a link:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13011...el-price-shock

Now, lets all Re-Answer the Thread Question

For me, I bought a Petrol Beat in 2011 March. By end of 2011, I was cribbing why I rushed and bought the Petrol Beat, whereas the TCDI was in the making and post-launch was a hot cake !!!
1 year down the line, I am consoled with the hike in Diesel prices coming soon. But makes me worried as well, when I think about the hike in Cost of Living.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 23:08   #357
Senior - BHPian

No, I would stick to a petrol any day, because I like to drive an exciting car, not a luggage-hauling truck.

I saw some of the comments made on this thread about diesels being driveable in the city and having more low-end grunt. Please note that you are all unfairly comparing turbocharged diesel engines (available today in most popular cars) with naturally aspirated petrol engines to make such claims. If one were to remove that turbocharger from the diesels, they would take 25 seconds to reach 100 kmph instead of 14-15 secs.

Low end torque advantage? What low end grunt are we speaking about? Bring in a turbo petrol and compare with a turbo diesel of the same/similar displacement to make it a fair battle. The turbo petrol will butcher the turbo diesel in the low end torque, plus it will retain all the free-revving properties of a petrol engine and decimate diesels in the mid and high range of rpms as well, unlike the boring, clattering, black-smoke-spitting, ultra-narrow power band of diesels.

A turbo petrol engine can do everything that a turbo diesel can do at the lower range of rpms, plus it can do much more than a conventional petrol can at the higher rpm range. It is also cleaner, boasts of better refinement/NVH levels and is cheaper to maintain than a diesel.

If both fuels cost the same, the only advantage I see going for a diesel is the approx 40-50% more fuel economy compared to an equivalent petrol engine, which will work out to lower running costs. Nothing else. Even then, with a 1.5L premium paid for the diesel variant, it will take a long time to breakeven if both fuels are priced similarly.

EDIT : Er.. unfortunately, by mistake I voted 'Yes' on this thread after giving all this lecture . Any way I can change it?

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st January 2013 at 23:14.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 23:21   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
If both fuels cost the same, the only advantage I see going for a diesel is the approx 40-50% more fuel economy compared to an equivalent petrol engine, which will work out to lower running costs. Nothing else. Even then, with a 1.5L premium paid for the diesel variant, it will take a long time to breakeven if both fuels are priced similarly.
Turbo increases the cost of petrol engines too. I guess turbo petrol engined cars would not have any big price advantage over their turbo diesel engined siblings. Case in point - Linea Tjet, priced higher than MJD Linea when it was launched.

So the premium, if any, paid for the diesel version may be nullified quite easily given the FE advantage of the diesel.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 23:32   #359
BHPian

Turbo charged petrol cars are all I will buy, in the foreseable future. I think, once you go turbo, you dont turn back. I used to feel that only diesels have Torquey motors. Was I wrong or what!

The only exception purchase would be if I wanted a biggish suv/muv, then the choice will be a big bad diesel. Ecoboost is a pretty small engine and I dont see myself buying that.
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 23:33   #360
BHPian

Arrow Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
No, I would stick to a petrol any day, because I like to drive an exciting car, not a luggage-hauling truck.

EDIT : Er.. unfortunately, by mistake I voted 'Yes' on this thread after giving all this lecture . Any way I can change it?
Hey KarthikK,

I agree with you mostly. I am yet to try out a diesel but I am more than happy with a petrol given my usage ~10K Kms/year.

However, I would disagree with you on the last part of the argument. Agreed, most petrols are naturally aspirated and lack a turbo, an inter-cooler et al and hence aren't comparable to the diesels in terms of what they bring to the table.

But the moment you add them to a petrol won't they cost more? So, a turbo petrol may cost just as much as a diesel because it is precisely these additions which make the diesels cost more. Ain't it? You paid more for your tjet as compared to a Linea Multijet right.

So, I feel, even then diesel would hold it's edge because of the efficiency. Or will the petrols with these technology additions be more economical? I do not have more data on this aspect. May be even maintenance of such turbo petrol engines will be just as expensive as maintaining turbo diesels. You should have better data here.

In case I have missed any aspect in the comparison, please forgive my ignorance. These were exactly the thoughts that ran across my mind when I was thinking about how would Ford price the ecoboost engines!

Last edited by naut : 21st January 2013 at 23:35.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote