Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th April 2013, 09:17   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Non-cost based inputs on Ford Figo Petrol vs Diesel

In your case, the best way to compare the both would be you taking a test drive of both the cars.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 09:43   #392
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest your wife takes the TD to understand the differences. Or maybe take two or three TD sessions from different dealers. This way she can spend more time with each car to understand how it behaves.

Also there should be numerous other threads discussing the Figo petrol vs diesel, plus the reviews. So do we really need another thread on the same?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 10:00   #393
Senior - BHPian

You can find answers to all your doubts and much more in the official review of the Figo by GTO.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 10:49   #394
BHPian

I have already gone through a lot of material both on this forum as well as google. Many of them focus on cost factors when comparing petrol vs diesel. They under played performance comparisons in a significant way. For example in some threads they mention diesel is very good in Figo and if you want petrol they are other cars better on performance. They do not directly compare petrol and diesel of Figo exclusively other than cost related ones. That is why I had to open this thread after a few days of research otherwise. And I need experience based opinions.
mkovuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 11:57   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
I am looking for experience based inputs on petrol vs diesel option on Figo Titanium version. This will be my other car for my wife (who does enjoy power) replacing her Opel Corsa 1.6.

Her travel is limited to under 8k per year. And mostly city. I do not expect selling the car before 7 years if I were to repeat how long I retain cars. The Opel is ten years old. Please provide user based experience. I have tried a lot on team BHP and on Google a true performance based comparison on the two versions but did not find any. Hope some can help here. Thanks.
@mkovuri - The petrol Figo is under-powered and will feel sluggish. I own the diesel Figo, very satisfied with it as far as space and handling is concerned.

The two pain areas are the
1. low slung seating
2. It is tiring to drive the Figo in the city, My 11 year old Baleno is more engaging (on the highway it feels a little less than adequate).
3. The interiors, it makes my acutely aware that I compromised space for an old design. Especially after the Opel, the Figo will feel like a big letdown.

I was to buy the Beat, but had to let go of that car because of the cramped interiors.
The city drive of the diesel Beat is comparable to the ease of driving a santro.

If you are looking for a long term ownership, I would say go for the Brio or Amaze.

Given a choice, I would not go for the Figo, it is at the fag end of its product cycle and the car is good, but there are better options in the market now.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 12:04   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have already gone through a lot of material both on this forum as well as google. Many of them focus on cost factors when comparing petrol vs diesel. They under played performance comparisons in a significant way. For example in some threads they mention diesel is very good in Figo and if you want petrol they are other cars better on performance. They do not directly compare petrol and diesel of Figo exclusively other than cost related ones. That is why I had to open this thread after a few days of research otherwise. And I need experience based opinions.
Let me give you the petrol experience and hopefully someone will give you the diesel.

The petrol is basically a city car. As you may have heard, mileage is around the 10-12 region for city and goes up to 15-17 on highways, provided it is an expressway. The diesel is a better choice if you are planning on long trips on this car.
Again for city, there are many cars which have pros over the Figo.
Power compared to other 1.2's is on the low side especially with the AC,(AC is very effective though). Interiors and material quality do not have the class of other 1.2's namely Swift, i-20 Brio. Fit and finish is OK.

As for the pro's of the 1.2, its a brilliant drivers car. Keep the revs high, and you will enjoy the car and will leave a smile till you slow down. I feel lugging the engine on this car actually reduces mileage. Gearshifts are nice and smooth and down shifting to slow down is fun with this gearbox.

Space is good both front and back , but since the car and seats are low, getting out at times is a pain, for the elderly especially.
The music system which came with a car is decent if you are not a ICE nut like me. Rear non power and not full rolling down windows was not a negative for me at all since I run with AC on all the time which I am sure most of us do.
Overall, it is a value for money car. Be aware of the resale value of the petrol compared to the diesel. Ford was never known for small capacity engines, but for diesels and high capacity petrols, so there is a negative on the petrol version there as well. If you plan on keeping the car for long, then it is upto you- diesel or petrol.

Make sure you drive both the versions back to back when doing a test.
Regards
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 23:33   #397
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

I drove a test drive of Diesel yesterday, and felt it was a little noisy (but I am more used to the Skoda Petrol RS which is very silent). I drove the Petrol version today. Same roads. Tried same style of driving. Surprisingly this was nearly as noisy as the diesel version. Not that it was high, but there was engine sound. And I felt Petrol felt sluggish, but when I look at the speedometer, actually it performed slightly better. For example in second gear, at high acceleration, diesel wouldn't go beyond 70 kmph (and I did not 'stay' on high rev), while the Petrol reached 80 kmph and appeared I could still push a little. Acceleration from utterly low speeds like 20 kmph in fourth gear, I felt Diesel better. Rest of the drive factors were about identical. I feel, I might tend towards Petrol, considering the diesel is over 1.2 lakhs and my wife does not drive a lot. When we are with family, we usually take out the Skoda. It is less likely that I will take Figo on long drives, despite fuel considerations if I bought a diesel. I will worry about resale value when I sell it. My current Opel served as 10 years round. If the price differential was small, I would have seriously considered diesel, but now I am thinking I might tend towards petrol.

Thanks for inputs so far.

I have tried Amaze, i20, SAIL UVA, Etios Liva, Sunny (Petrol & Diesel), Micra, Polo. While micra was very nimble and easy to drive, I cannot live with that super small trunk or the hatch shape. Also I needed a hatchback where seats folded flat so my dog (Nero) can stay comfortable when it goes with my wife. Only UVA seem to have back seats that lay perfectly flat when folded and Figo came close.
Old 25th April 2013, 21:53   #398

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

The final difference between petrol and diesel will remain at least Rs 10/-. With better diesel milage, it will always remain worth. just service the car on time, drive carefully the engine will last, unless you are really unlucky.
shami62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 07:26   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Acceleration from utterly low speeds like 20 kmph in fourth gear, I felt Diesel better.
I am sure the diesel would have been better. I would advise against judging a car like this. You definitely need low end pulling power but trying to get away from 20kmph in 4th is just wrong. You are lugging the engine, ruining the gearbox and god help the clutch. I hope you regular driving pattern isn't like this. I would not try something like this even if it were a TD car.

Quote:
I feel, I might tend towards Petrol, considering the diesel is over 1.2 lakhs and my wife does not drive a lot.
Then stick with a petrol. Before you decide on a Figo, you might want to try everything else with a similar capacity petrol engine just to get an idea.

Think about it. How long will it take to blow 1.2lac worth of petrol and then decide if a diesel is really necessary.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 17:57   #400
BHPian

I did not drive with the clutch on. I am pretty careful about clutch usage. The idea was to check on the torque and what difference it would make between the two vehicles for city traffic conditions. My test drives are very methodical and I try to evaluate several aspects that are important to me one at a time. This was one of them.

I have tried virtually every car in the segment except the Marathi line up, which hopefully should happen tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to close the deal on one or other very soon.

My only disappointment is the current Opel Corsa 1.6L is fetching only around 40k, it being a model discontinued. So sometimes I wonder if I should sell that car at all or just refurbish it!
Old 26th April 2013, 19:57   #401
BHPian

Quote:
I did not drive with the clutch on. I am pretty careful about clutch usage. The idea was to check on the torque and what difference it would make between the two vehicles for city traffic conditions. My test drives are very methodical and I try to evaluate several aspects that are important to me one at a time. This was one of them.

I have tried virtually every car in the segment except the Marathi line up, which hopefully should happen tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to close the deal on one or other very soon.

My only disappointment is the current Opel Corsa 1.6L is fetching only around 40k, it being a model discontinued. So sometimes I wonder if I should sell that car at all or just refurbish it!

Sell the Corsa to me !!!

A good friend uses the Ford and is pretty happy with the car after three years in terms of service and ownership costs.

If you want a big car at the same price do consider the Vista65. There are good discounts. The car also swallows a lot of stuff easily. The Seats fold flat (and split). The engine is a Fiat and is a beauty to drive. 50K kms and three years later, there are NO squeaks, rattles. The only 'part issue' has been with the cylinders which hold up the boot lid, that due to a friend pushing it up beyond its designed limit. Replaced it for free in warranty.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 07:58   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20098963.cms

Quote:
After a two-year diesel-powered cruise, petrol cars are back on a high-octane drive.

Car buyers have snapped out of diesel daze amid the phased decontrol of the fuel, narrowing its price gap with petrol to Rs 13.50. The resultant shift back to petrol has triggered alarm in the industry as Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Honda, General Motors, Ford, Volkswagen and Renault-Nissan have together invested over Rs 10,000 crore into diesel plants in the past couple of years.

GM had a bull run with the diesel Beat, which runs on a mini one-litre power train. Till last year, the ratio of Beat diesel to its petrol version was 85:15. In the past four months, petrol sales have doubled and the ratio now stands 70:30.

At present, diesel variants cost Rs 80,000-110,000 more than petrol. And that isn't cost-effective for city driving. "Any diesel customer looks at a payback period of three-four years. It was attractive when there was a huge price gulf. But now that the difference has narrowed and the payback period has been pushed beyond five years, it will be difficult to convince customers because people now change cars every five years," explained a sales executive at a Hyundai dealership.

Maruti Suzuki chief operating officer (marketing and sales) Mayank Pareek said the waiting period of diesel cars had disappeared. "We have not seen a substantial increase in petrol cars because of the depressed market scenario. Once the market improves, the petrol pie will go up," he said. Industry sources said the percentage decline in purchase of diesel vehicles was much higher than petrol.
Hope the gap between Diesel and Petrol doesn't decrease. All the commodities prices will go haywire if the gap shortens. The May and June month sales figures will speak for the price increase in diesel causing a lower sales. I guess other manufacturers will slow down on marketing strategies for sales of the diesel cars and keep neutral for a little period of time till the situation stabilises.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 10:31   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

The price of diesel shall further increase till it reaches at the break even point. I believe Rs. 5 more.

Then, the prices of both petrol & diesel would depend on crude priced Internationally.

Would be interesting to see Eco Sport's 1.0 sales numbers.

^ Please correct me if I am wrong about the pricing.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 13:52   #404
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming most small diesel cars offer similar NVH and refinement levels as their petrol counterparts- all though I find my Vista Qjet no where as refined as, say an i10. But if it were then it is worth checking what's the price diffrential between the petrol and diesel cars for a given set of features. Since diesels are inherently more FE, if the payback is say 3yrs, I would go for the diesel assuming 4-5yrs ownership pattern. If payback is worse than 3yrs,maybe petrol would be a better bet.

Only issue is, what if the next Govt comes and dismantles this pricing mechanism and starts regulating fuel prices differently ? This is what happened to petrol car buyers in 2008-2010. From 2011 onwards petrol got dergulated and prices shot up and suddently one found their petrol cars lose terribly on resale.
This is as close as it gets to how lack of policy clarity/consistency affects our lives financially.

Last edited by narayan : 17th May 2013 at 13:54.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 13:57   #405
BHPian

I wouldn't buy diesels if petrol and diesel were similarly priced. Here's why

- I prefer the refined smooth running of petrol engines rather than the rattle and vibration of diesels
- Diesel engines require higher maintenance.
- petrol engines power delivery is more uninterrupted unlike most diesels which pick up power post 18-2000 rpm and are limited to 5000 rpm. I don't like that.
- the sound of powerful V6,V8, V10 petrol engines is simply incomparable !
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote