Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th May 2013, 14:24   #406
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Thanks for the article source Anurag.

It seems to be a wait and watch for both Manufacturers and customers.

Manufacturers always played a price game by pricing the lower petrol variant really lower with the quote "Starts at ..." and hope they don't/cant change that at least for sometime.

If the gap is really narrowed between petrol and diesel variants, then that would be interesting to watch.

May be time to revive the Petrol power trains technology? Ecosport's Ecoboost leading the way?

Myself looking at a second car for family in 2 months and in much of the same dilemma petrol/diesel. In my case, the usage will be limited too (as we already have a diesel Fiesta) and that again points towards petrol. Would have loved to have the other way i.e. a bigger diesel and a smaller petrol instead of our current/future setup.
ganesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 14:35   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Now we should see a trend, with the differential down to under Rs.3.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 14:51   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now we should see a trend, with the differential down to under Rs.3.
Difference is 22 rupees in Punjab.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 15:06   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Difference is 22 rupees in Punjab.
What I meant was the under - recovery, i.e., actual differential between the free market and 'subsidised' price. This is where it will end up. I was not bringing petrol into this. Sorry, for the somewhat incomplete context.
Old 17th May 2013, 15:37   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What I meant was the under - recovery, i.e., actual differential between the free market and 'subsidised' price. This is where it will end up. I was not bringing petrol into this. Sorry, for the somewhat incomplete context.
The under recoveries of diesel u mean? Does that mean that diesel will stop increasing post that?
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 15:45   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
The under recoveries of diesel u mean? Does that mean that diesel will stop increasing post that?
This is the declared target. when the free sale and pump prices converge fully, diesel would also be 'deregulated'. However, the exact changeover will depend on the International Oil Prices, and the state of the Rupee.
Old 11th July 2013, 15:25   #412
Senior - BHPian

This Diesel vs Petrol debate is a long standing one. Assuming the cost differential between a petrol and diesel vehicle is 1.8 lacs and the cost differential in the fuel cost is around Rs 25, just bear in mind that it will take the usage of 7200 litres of diesel to recover the cost of acquisition! Most normal urban dwellers and regular working people tend to do around 1200 to 1500 kms a month in terms of running. Assuming that the vehicle returns a normal average mileage of 15 kmpl, one would probably use around 80 or a 100 litres of Diesel per month. It is a known and proven fact that the Modern Diesel engines are extremely fuel efficient. At this rate at the least estimate, one will have to drive one's car for 72 months or 6 years, in order to recover the cost of acquisition of the Diesel car! If, as is more likely under normal circumstances, one consumes only 80 litres of diesel a month, then one would have to drive the car for 7.5 years or 90 months in order to break even! There is truly a lot to be said for buying a petrol driven car given these above calculations...
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 11:48   #413
Senior - BHPian

As the engines get bigger (as in the case of an SUV), diesel gains more in terms of torqe and FE. At 2L the diesel consumes 75% and at 3L 50% fuel compared to a petrol.

Then there are cases where you need tons of torque at low RPM and that is a realm of DI/IDI diesels. Toyota sells it series 70 landcruisers with both the 3L CRDi angine and a 4.5l normal, former for high speed and the latter for load carying.

Once you fit turbo and other electronics to a petrol engine, the price advantage of a petrol vehicle decreases drastically.

So in the end if
. Diesel fuel is priced same or marginally more than petrol (as it is internationally)
. Diesel engined vehicle is priced near to its petrol version (withing 2%)

Then I would prefer diesel

The only application where a high powered petrol is taking over high power diesel is in extreme cold climate - diesel gells at low arctic temparatures hence not viable.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 12:22   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This Diesel vs Petrol debate is a long standing one. Assuming the cost differential between a petrol and diesel vehicle is 1.8 lacs and the cost differential in the fuel cost is around Rs 25, just bear in mind that it will take the usage of 7200 litres of diesel to recover the cost of acquisition! Most normal urban dwellers and regular working people tend to do around 1200 to 1500 kms a month in terms of running. Assuming that the vehicle returns a normal average mileage of 15 kmpl, one would probably use around 80 or a 100 litres of Diesel per month. It is a known and proven fact that the Modern Diesel engines are extremely fuel efficient. At this rate at the least estimate, one will have to drive one's car for 72 months or 6 years, in order to recover the cost of acquisition of the Diesel car! If, as is more likely under normal circumstances, one consumes only 80 litres of diesel a month, then one would have to drive the car for 7.5 years or 90 months in order to break even! There is truly a lot to be said for buying a petrol driven car given these above calculations...
Your logic fails since diesel will command a higher resale, so the increase in cost of diesel car over petrol is generally recovered at the time of re-sale. Then the break-even can even be a couple of years or less depending on the kms driven.

The sad part is diesel is always generally for commercial use (transport, pumps, gensets, etc.) and therefore priced / taxed higher internationally whereas in India it is the reverse! It is the small car owner and two wheelers who mostly use petrol and that is taxed to the hilt in India on the grounds of 'luxury'!!!? Due to this, diesel users are often careless about maintenance, FE, etc. resulting in huge wastage as well.

We will only see our economy revive and rupee recover if we stop all this differential nonsense. All fuels (including kerosene / naphtha / gas) must be taxed on generally same basis and then subsidy given directly based on fair criteria.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 12:59   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Your logic fails since diesel will command a higher resale, so the increase in cost of diesel car over petrol is generally recovered at the time of re-sale. Then the break-even can even be a couple of years or less depending on the kms driven.

The sad part is diesel is always generally for commercial use (transport, pumps, gensets, etc.) and therefore priced / taxed higher internationally whereas in India it is the reverse! It is the small car owner and two wheelers who mostly use petrol and that is taxed to the hilt in India on the grounds of 'luxury'!!!? Due to this, diesel users are often careless about maintenance, FE, etc. resulting in huge wastage as well.

We will only see our economy revive and rupee recover if we stop all this differential nonsense. All fuels (including kerosene / naphtha / gas) must be taxed on generally same basis and then subsidy given directly based on fair criteria.

It is generally true that Diesel vehicles get a better re sale than their petrol counterparts but just step into the market place right now and see for yourself. With the decreasing price differential between the two fuels, even the resale values are lessening compared to their earlier stark differences.

Despite what you say, the acquisition cost is significantly higher and the value of the same amount of money 5 to 7 years later is generally much less.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 13:42   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the acquisition cost is significantly higher and the value of the same amount of money 5 to 7 years later is generally much less.
Shankar, what you say is a very valid point specially when combined with the usage pattern and was one of the key factors that made me go for Honda VX AT petrol rather than the Diesel variant. I strongly believe that the price difference between the two fuels will be less than what people are indicating in the forum and elsewhere. I hope it doesn't reach a scenario like here in the gulf where at times diesel prices are more than that of petrol.

Best Regards & Drive safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 23:13   #417
BHPian

Another factor people are forgetting are the increased costs associated with maintaining/servicing a diesel car. Modern diesels are turbo-charged - in an event of turbo failure (I have seen it happen to some vehicles), be ready for a hefty repair bill. Also, I think diesel cars need a higher rated and more expensive battery - I remember the diesel Skoda Octavia requires a 74DIN battery as a replacement which costs around Rs.12,000 while the petrol one only requires a lower rated one which costs much less.
Games Goblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 23:55   #418
BHPian

Then, Would get a small diesel car for city use, and a big petrol sedan for the highway, most probably a TSI. :-)
ahmad.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 23:59   #419
BHPian

Agreed that in most cases the Turbo wouldn't be covered under warranty but I think that besides the risk of an issue like that & the rising prices, diesels are also very popular because they're often more exhilarating than their petrol counterparts.

This wasn't always the case but with a surge in diesel sales, petrol engines of many popular cars have been greatly tamed for economy & that has come at the cost.

Take the swift or the i20, the petrol versions don't even come close to the diesel variants when it comes to the pep or the fun to drive factor.

Again, while this doesn't hold true everywhere its quite a common phenomenon.

I for one would pick a diesel powerplant any day
Zahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 07:22   #420
BHPian

We picked up A Star AT against a diesel hatch and don't regret it. Firstly, the EMI is about 4k-5k less for an equivalent fully loaded diesel, AT is not even available. With that, even if you drive 2000 kms a month, city or highway, the total cost of ownership is almost same. If you add the maintenance cost, petrol wins. My 20k service with wheel balancing and alignment was 4400, much less compared to diesel cars. And being an AT, it is a lot easier to drive.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote