Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th September 2014, 20:21   #421
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Reviving a slightly old thread on a beaten to death topic... but all the more relevant in the present times. Hit this article. http://scroll.in/article/677635/Why-...f-a-petrol-one

Point to note: it will now take six-and-a half years to pay off the difference between a diesel car and a petrol vehicle, up from two-and-a-half years in 2009; considering a monthly usage of 1000 kms
AvinashKeezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 20:43   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
Reviving a slightly old thread on a beaten to death topic... but all the more relevant in the present times.
Agree! Right topic at the right time thanks to fuel pricing.

It all now depends on the daily / monthly usage of the person to choose the fuel option for the car.

Some who can afford the high difference of petrol : diesel may go for a diesel car even if running is less than 1000 kms a month.

I'd still stick to diesel baring my current usage (3000 kms a month). Hope the prices of diesel come down, says my wallet.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 20:57   #423
BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

I would definitely buy a diesel car. Due to higher torque figures even with full load there is not much reduction in power unlike a petrol and fuel economy figures for both diesel and petrols are poles apart. I am quite happy with my diesels , the amaze and the fluence. I would buy a petrol if its a supercharged v8.
Just love the sound track of the supercharged v8. Cant wait for the mustang
AB@TVMBHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 22:40   #424
BHPian

My preference will be petrol going forward mainly because of NVH levels. Also, the maintenance of petrol cars is cheaper than diesel cars.

But there is always a chance of going for a bigger vehicle (7-8 seater), in that case, I guess diesel rules, and no good petrol option for big vehicles.
raghav135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 23:07   #425
Senior - BHPian

I will still bet my money on a petrol car simply because diesel cars need a lot of maintenance and what ever amount that is saved on the fuel cost in a diesel vehicle is ultimately spent on the upkeep of it. In a petrol car, though the fuel cost is high but the maintenance is low. So, comparatively, for me petrol car is a winner.

But, There is just 1 car which I felt was worth owning in diesel i.e Chevrolet Optra. Because in 1.6L petrol engine my car never gave an average beyond 8 km/l.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 03:55   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I will still bet my money on a petrol car simply because diesel cars need a lot of maintenance and what ever amount that is saved on the fuel cost in a diesel vehicle is ultimately spent on the upkeep of it.
Are you sure of this? Because most of the new generation diesel vehicles are as similar to service and maintain as their petrol counterparts.

My Punto for instance, requires 6k -7k service every 15k kms. Only the 60k service was big due to timing chain replacement and costed 3x usual amount. Currently - vehicle is nearing 75k service. The other diesel car I help taking for service is my friend's Fortuner. And that gets cheap service bills even my humble WagonR will be jealous of!

I would only consider usage as a parameter these days, and of course - which one being the better engine. European diesels are better than their equivalent petrols more often than not.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th September 2014 at 03:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 10:11   #427
BHPian

Completely agree with CrAzY dRiVeR. Just went through the thread and was shocked to see a number of members complaining about the higher maintenance cost of diesel engines!

Voted YES. Even if the diesel prices come up and level with that of petrol's (or even go higher than that), the massive torque and decent FE figures will always make me lean towards the diesel mills. NVH is not at all an issue for me, actually I'm already in love with the badass grunt of diesel engines.
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 10:38   #428
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
I will still bet my money on a petrol car simply because diesel cars need a lot of maintenance and what ever amount that is saved on the fuel cost in a diesel vehicle is ultimately spent on the upkeep of it. In a petrol car, though the fuel cost is high but the maintenance is low. So, comparatively, for me petrol car is a winner.
Hi, could you help further explain what additional maintenance expenses on diesel cars are incurred, compared to petrol ones. Taking a Swift petrol and diesel, normally let's say both cars go in for service every 6 months or 10k kms (i'm not sure, just guessing), they both need air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, engine oil, a/c pollen filter (if one is applicable) require changes. Let's say most consumables, brake pads, etc. have similar life span.. Of course, engine oil costs will vary.. But i'm assuming it's not in thousands of rupees.

So from your experience, how much additional money is spent on diesel cars than petrol? For ex: if a petrol swift costs 6k for 1 year service, does the diesel car's 1 year service cost 10k or more?
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 10:47   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are you sure of this? Because most of the new generation diesel vehicles are as similar to service and maintain as their petrol counterparts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi, could you help further explain what additional maintenance expenses on diesel cars are incurred, compared to petrol ones.
See, my opinion is based on general point of view which many people hold and its mentioned too. I have owned only petrol cars all my life and have heard that diesel vehicles are expensive on maintenance, so I placed my thoughts.

The only reason for me to consider a Diesel vehicle is the better mileage that it provides in comparison to petrol. I am open to be called as a mileage centered owner.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 9th September 2014 at 10:49.
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 10:53   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi, could you help further explain what additional maintenance expenses on diesel cars are incurred, compared to petrol ones. Taking a Swift petrol and diesel, normally let's say both cars go in for service every 6 months or 10k kms (i'm not sure, just guessing), they both need air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, engine oil, a/c pollen filter (if one is applicable) require changes. Let's say most consumables, brake pads, etc. have similar life span.. Of course, engine oil costs will vary.. But i'm assuming it's not in thousands of rupees.

So from your experience, how much additional money is spent on diesel cars than petrol? For ex: if a petrol swift costs 6k for 1 year service, does the diesel car's 1 year service cost 10k or more?
A swift D fuel filter sets you back by almost 1.5K as compared to a swift petrol which I guess would be way cheaper.By the way I do own a Swift Diesel.Some aspects like EGR cleaning,fuel filter 20k replacement etc are some of the extra stuff you might spend into.
My take,I would stick with a Diesel car because they give more mileage plus decent load lugging capability even with the AC ON.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 9th September 2014 at 10:55.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 11:06   #431
BHPian

I would go for the diesel unless there is a turbocharged petrol on offer.

The torque offered by TCed engines ensures an effortless drive (once you get the hang of the turbolag).

I have driven a few NA vehicles with power output more than that of my daily drive (Cruze). None could match the punch that the TCed diesel gives.

But, TCed petrols can very much match and in some good applications, beat their diesel counterparts. Example the Laura TSi. They match the driveability, load lugging capacity and blow the diesels away in terms of NVH.

For me, TCed petrols are the way to go when on offer.
rangakishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 11:08   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See, my opinion is based on general point of view which many people hold and its mentioned too. I have owned only petrol cars all my life and have heard that diesel vehicles are expensive on maintenance, so I placed my thoughts.

The only reason for me to consider a Diesel vehicle is the better mileage that it provides in comparison to petrol. I am open to be called as a mileage centered owner.

Thanks
Thanks, my post was to exactly bring this response out. As it has been stated and repeated many times before, a lot of people who have lesser knowledge about cars (myself included) depend on the information here that helps them make a consideration or purchase decision.

Writing on hear-say and without any direct experience will only compound the problem further for those individuals, who depend on the valuable information here in this forum. Re-iterating general opinion or what you think is the case, doesn't help anyone (there is no guarantee that others' opinion is right). My kind request is that we refrain from such. I assume a lot too, but it's not sensible to post them down as facts here. That's all I'm saying. (And I've owned both diesel and petrol cars).

And there is nothing wrong is being tagged a mileage centered owner. My post is not meant in offense but as a casual request note.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 11:14   #433
Senior - BHPian

A good news for all of us Diesel fans. Goverment wil reduce Diesel price first time in last 7 years due to lower crude prices which is now below $100. Now at current market price diesel price is free from subsidy. Due to this government will save some 19,500 crores this year. Check the below link.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/42062453.cms

Last edited by anujmishra : 9th September 2014 at 11:15.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 11:33   #434
BHPian

With all the discussion and a narrow differential of prices, and diesel-grunt loving crowd, I am yet to find a diesel sedan that is more fun to drive than my T-Jet. Enough said.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 11:41   #435
Senior - BHPian

Diesel it is.. always. Unless there is a petrol on offer, which satisfies my diesel need to drive. What is a Diesel need? It is hard to explain, but the low end torque, ability to cruise on highways at higher speeds, lower RPM's, better mileage and such other stuff put in place.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote