Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 527 45.16%
No 551 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.63%
Voters: 1167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th September 2014, 11:44   #436
BHPian

Not all diesel cars are expensive to maintain!
My Liva costs me 3k(Smiles package) + 400~ rupees per 10k kms/1 year.
20,000kms service cost me about 450 rupees.
Also, the FE on the highways is brilliant! And the turbo push is addictive along with the massive torque the petrol lacks! So, I'll stick with the diesel engines!
saadat1992 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 11:47   #437
Senior - BHPian

Only if they give same mileage, petrol in question is a turbo petrol. After driving turbo cars very difficult to go back to NA cars.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 12:23   #438
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
As it has been stated and repeated many times before, a lot of people who have lesser knowledge about cars (myself included) depend on the information here that helps them make a consideration or purchase decision.
Even in this era of advanced technology there are people who are not always aligned to informative forums and hence the only source of gathering info for them is the word of mouth.

Quote:
Writing on hear-say and without any direct experience will only compound the problem further for those individuals, who depend on the valuable information here in this forum.
Actually I have interacted with people owning diesel cars but sadly they are the ones who owned Ambassadors and Indica(s) and later on graduated to buy a petrol vehicle like Honda City.

Quote:
Re-iterating general opinion or what you think is the case, doesn't help anyone (there is no guarantee that others' opinion is right). My kind request is that we refrain from such.
My opinions were no doubt based on word of mouth, however, for a technical novice like me, word of mouth gave a particular image and helped me in decision making. I am in no ways trying to say that my opinion is supreme and most precise as there are surely better sources of info present these days.

No offence taken.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 13:29   #439
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post

With all the discussion and a narrow differential of prices, and diesel-grunt loving crowd, I am yet to find a diesel sedan that is more fun to drive than my T-Jet. Enough said.
I just love the way T-jet drives johy, but I think you must really experience the way a GT TDI (1.6) delivers Power.

I am not comparing or complaining T-Jet here, but if you have not tried the 1.6 GT TDI, you are missing the comparison basis completely.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 13:45   #440
Senior - BHPian

Can a diesel really can match a petrol in performance? Right now there is not a single NA diesel car in India ( that matters). So we are comparing turbo-ed diesels with NA petrols. We should compare tc'ed petrols with tc'ed diesels and NA diesels with NA petrol. Then results will be interesting. Let use see if any equivalent diesels can beat Polo TSI / Octavia VRS / Laura TSIs.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 13:54   #441
BHPian

I would happily buy a diesel version provided the differential was around 50K. Most manufacturers in India charge around 1 lakh to 1.5 lakhs extra for the diesel variants and that doesn't make economic sense. Hopefully the premium charged would shrink as diesel prices get closer to petrol. If the car costs same as petrol or just slightly higher, diesel wins hands down as you get about 30% extra mileage.
Lobogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 14:11   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Even if the diesel prices come up and level with that of petrol's (or even go higher than that), the massive torque and decent FE figures will always make me lean towards the diesel mills. NVH is not at all an issue for me, actually I'm already in love with the badass grunt of diesel engines.

Ah the torque! Thanks for addressing that. It is addictive! I do enjoy the smoothness and performance of a petrol engine. Few years back I used to love only petrol cars. But after getting used to the low end torque of modern day diesels, I love the oil burners as much as powerful petrol cars, or may be even a tad more than that.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 14:20   #443
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for Yes.

New age diesel cars are efficient and the so called turbo lag is minimal.

Resale is also better.

Last edited by arnabchak : 9th September 2014 at 14:22.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 14:58   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Can a diesel really can match a petrol in performance? Right now there is not a single NA diesel car in India ( that matters). So we are comparing turbo-ed diesels with NA petrols. We should compare tc'ed petrols with tc'ed diesels and NA diesels with NA petrol. Then results will be interesting. Let use see if any equivalent diesels can beat Polo TSI / Octavia VRS / Laura TSIs.
The polo GT TDI beats the polo GT TSI. Easily.
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 15:02   #445
Senior - BHPian

It would be really great to have more turbo petrols. We do have the TSIs, and the EcoSports - but the proportion is still very less.

Honda, in Nov 2013 has announced a 1.5L turbo which is good for 202bhp and 200lbs torque:

http://world.honda.com/news/2013/413.../pages/02.html

Such new engines, if bought by reliable Japanese manufacturers - could change the rules of the game drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
You are comparing a manual 1.5L diesel engine to an automatic 1.2L petrol engine and saying the first one wins?

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th September 2014 at 15:05.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 15:03   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really; and you are comparing a 1.5/1.6 TDI with a 1.2L TSI.
1.8TSI blows away its 2.0TDI cousin;does that make competition fair?
akshay4587 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 15:31   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
See, my opinion is based on general point of view which many people hold and its mentioned too. I have owned only petrol cars all my life and have heard that diesel vehicles are expensive on maintenance, so I placed my thoughts.
Exactly!

And I'm only requesting you to grow out of that stereotype and do a bit more research. There is a thread on actual running costs. I think the difference between petrol car and diesel car maintenance is pretty slim these days.

Infact, I had the same opinion about petrol and diesel cars before owning the Punto. But over 75k kms of ownership - my Punto costed me a lot lesser than what my WagonR did for the same mileage.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 15:36   #448
BHPian

Still early days owning a diesel, but I've voted YES. Even if the diesel cost were to be a little higher than petrol, would still go for the former.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 15:54   #449
BHPian

If the main intent to buy diesel is only cos of price difference in fuel then the is no point . I am assuming the title / this thread is created with the same notion .
There are cars /SUVs in Indian market that are only on diesel which we buy or love to buy ever . What matters is reliability stability responsiveness and above all comfort
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 16:06   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure? Can you substantiate pls. The data available on pages I visited suggest otherwise. In acceleration as well as top speed, TSI appears to beat GT TDI. I any case, Laura 1.8 TSI just blows the 2.0 L diesel Laura.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote